Bec's whole30 base for life

Ra_k_

Re gall bladder, I guess ultrasound, or correlating back pain or other symptoms with eating high fat foods...nuts,avocado etc. you can apparently heal it with a fast and flush.. So I wouldn't look at surgery anyway unless life threatening.. May be just record your symptoms against what you eat for now and if there is a pattern, investigate further after your whole30. Now I am not a doctor and I don't have any knowledge of any whole9 words of wisdom re gall bladder so it would be good to get others opinions.

I don't have back pain at the moment, but i do have a form of arthritis. So if i did get backpain i guess i would put it down to that. Hmmm definitely something i need to monitor.

I have 7 days left of this whole30, and i am going to continue, so maybe i can play around with different foods, and amounts of fats, etc, and see if that has any impact.

thanks heaps for you assistance, and suggestions, i really do appreciate it :D

Just another check in to let you all know i've been to my councelor this morning, and she thinks i have a delayed onset of grief. Before i went on holidays back in august i had about 4 deaths in my close circle of friends/work collegues, and then when i got back from my holiday we had to put our family dog down.

She explains that people have to deal with grief, and when i went on my holiday the grief stayed behind, but now that i'm back in my home environment the grief has set in. And i have to deal with it, and ride the emotions out.

I feel much better after talking to her, and she thinks i'll be back on track within 5 weeks, just in time for xmas. So i'm looking forward to that. She also suggested getting a full lot of blood tests done, just to make sure i'm not deficient in anything. She thinks i could be iron deficient and that could be effecting my moods, and energy. So i'll do that see what going on internally.

Food has still be whole30, perhaps not as much variety. but still sticking to protein, carbs, and fats with all meals. And only one snack a day if i need it.

Things are looking up :D

Thanks Derval, i'm already feeling a little bit better now. After listening to myself tell my councelor all the things that have happened in the last few months, its no wonder i was a little down. So with a little bit of help and being kind to me, i'll be back on track before my next whole30 days is finished. Which starts 21st November and ends just in time for Xmas, i may extend it out to xmas Eve. And then restart boxing day, as i feel i'm not really finished the whole30 journey, and know there is more it can do for me.

So i think i'm on day 26 now. YAY almost at the day 30 mark, still with not too much to report back on. I'm still not hitting sky high energy, nor am i feeling light. But i am feeling more positive, and some of my clothes are fitting like they used to. My skin is still terrible. Though my sleep has improved, and my training sessions have improved. So overall a few good things, and a few things to still work on.

Food is still 100% compliant. And i'm trying to keep my carb intake a little higher whilst i deal with all the personal issues. I think my mood is impacted too much when i'm low carb, specially when my iron levels are questionable.

My friend is doing amazingly. She's lost a lot of weight, her skin is clearing, and i can tell her motivation and determination is building. She's getting more crafty in the kitchen, and whilst i know she misses wine. I have spoken to her about making sure she eases back into sugar and the other non-compliant items she misses. And she told me she doesn't plan to stray too far from whole30 all of the time. So to me this is waaaay bigger than anything i could have achieved in my whole30. To help a friend out, and help her see how great clean living and eating can be, is a far better reward than losing a few kilos :D

So this whole30 has been a rollercoaster of emotions, and here i was thinking..... "meh i've done one of these before, this will be a piece of cake" hahah totally not true. Who knew i had other demands to fry :rolleyes:

Miscalculation on yesteday, today i am on day 26. Yipee!!!

Over the last few days i've stopped being so harsh on myself. I stopped questioning why the whole30 didn't isn't working like it did last time. I've basically stopped actively focusing on my food and worrying if i'm getting enough of any macronutrient. I'm still eating all whole30 foods, but i'm not thinking about it as such. And you know what, i'm starting to see some more changes.

Whilst my sleep last night wasn't 8 hours, it was more like 7ish, but most other nights its hitting 7.5-8, and sleeping right through the night. This is pretty major. Waking only about 20-30mins before my alarm. I've also noticed, i don't hit the wall in the afternoon anymore. My energy levels, whilst still average, aren't dipping in the arvos, which i'm loving. My mood is improving, and i'm feeling a lot more positive, which i'm also loving..

It seems the less i think about what i'm putting in my mouth the more i'm improving. So i think from now on i'll stop obsessing over making sure i'm covering all the macronutrient groups properly, i'll just feed my body what it feels it needs. And if that means having more carbs one day, and more protein the next, then thats what i'll eat. I'm not sure if this is in the nature of this program, but for me right now, this is what feels right.

I just had my first crossfit lesson. And i was talking to the coach after, and she was telling me she's done 3 whole30's now. She's really into the paleo world, and i think i may have found a home :D

I'm soo excited for the next few weeks in my life.

I think the nature of the plan IS to learn to listen to your body's cues, so you're doing great! I'm envious of you starting crossfit. I've thought about giving it a try, but I have a disk/sciatic problem in my lower back and am not sure my back could take it. I had to stop body pump per my physical therapist, and I'm guessing I would have similar problems with crossfit. One thing PT wants me to steer clear of is deadlifts and similar movements that put strain on lower back. Is there much of that?

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the words of support. I have arthritis in my back, and i find that fish oil, and lots of it helps me. Do you take fish oil??

I've only done one session, and one fundamentals session so far of crossfit. So i can't comment too much on what they do more of, But from what the coach has told me. they post most of their workouts at the start of the week online, and you book into the ones you wnat to do. So you could find a box that does something similar and just pick the workouts you want to do based on what your therapist says ;)

Day 29,

YAY almost there. And over the weekend i actually had the best weekend in a very long time. My mood was high, i got lots of my jobs dont, i didn't nap, and i felt happy. This is such a great thing for me. I haven't felt like this in a really long time. Can't put it down to anything, although i've mixed up my life enough in the last week or so, and maybe all the things combined have seen this great improvement.

I have another session with my counselor today, and its a super long one. So i'm planning to feel pretty drained after that. But i know it will be worth it. And then i'm off to get blood tests done, just to make sure i'm not deficient in anything. So on the final days it seems my tiger blood and happiness is right around the corner.

I'm not going to end my whole30 at 30. I'm going to continue on, i'm not sure how long, perhaps another week. Just to see if can push it out and feel the tiger blood, and all the other benefits. Though being my birthday tomorrow there maybe a paleofied dessert eating, and i'm ok with this. And my friends and family are aware that there is to be no cake, but there was some talk in the office of power balls (my nickname lol, basicaly they are dates and almonds crushed together, and then rolled into little balls and frozen, adn then slightly thawed before eating) so i'll have one of those.

I am going out to dinner, and i have already picked off the menu what i'm going to eat, and thats a chicken salad. And i'm ok with that.

Not much else to report. My friend is dying for a wine when she's finished. I honestly think she'll have all the things she misses and feel unwell after, and stick to a mainly whole30 template. And the most amazing part of her journey is the fact she has told her family all about it, and has them on board. She is also talking to her sister about it, and letting her know its easy once you hit the 7 day mark. To me thats huge. She is learning how her body is responding and telling people about how great it is. And she's lost some weight to back up her claims. I am sooo proud of her. Sooo proud of her.

I do take fish oil (krill actually), but only 300mg. I've been thinking about bumping it up to 600 or even 900. And I am finding my back less bothersome since adopting a paleo diet and as I lose weight (20# and counting). But there is definitely a sciatic nerve thing going on that gets easily exacerbated by certain movements. Maybe I will up my krill oil for awhile and see how it helps, and then see about finding a Crossfit place where I can give it a try...

Yeah i would definitley up your krill oil intake. I take close to 16000mcg a day. I know it sounds like a lot, but it works beyond doubt for me. And i would love for you to see the results i get from it. Let m know how you go upping your dosage ;)

DAY 30.......... YIPEEE!!!!! OH and my BIRTHDAY, YAY

So happy birthday to me, and congratulations to me for making it 30 days.

Even though i'm not finished. I'm well on my way to health, happiness and loving myself.

Not much to report, except i still haven't had anything non whole30 even though its my birthday. And i don't plan to. Today will just be like any other whole30 day. I have been thinking though it might be nice to have a wine this weekend for my friends wedding and a late birthday wine. But i'm still unsure that will happen. I guess i just need to see how i feel at the time.

I do plan to continue my whole30 to at least a whole33. I'll see out the week. And if i don't have a wine on the weekend, i'll continue on my whole journey. If i do have a wine on the weekend, i'll start back at day 1 come monday 26th November. So either way i'll feel like a winner.

I'm actually feeling really happy and positive today, and that feels sooo good :wub:

Thanks Ann :)

Ok so here is day 31, and well i off roaded a bit yesterday, as my friends suprised me for dinner, and well they did their best to make me a sugar free, dairy free, gluten free cake. And they did well, except they used gluten free flour and honey. And well i only had the smallest peice, but today i felt sick when i woke up. And as much as i love them for trying, i didn't enjoy the cake at all :o

I was also given a bottle of wine and some reeces pieces, which i love, like soooo much. But again, i don't eat them anymore. So i put the peanut butter cups in the freezer, and will keep them there, until i feel the need to snack on one. They'll prob get eaten by my brother before me, lol. And the wine i'll save till xmas to share with my family.

So with the cake eaten i feel like i can't continue to day 31 of my whole adventure. And i don't want to start at day 1 Whole30, so i'm going to finish this post here, and continue on to my post whole30 log (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4753-becs-quest-for-health/) So thank you for those who read and supported my journey, whilst it wasn't a typical journey it was still a good one to be had.

Archived