Bloating as the day goes on

I'm day 10 of my first round and being totally compliant.

I'm finding that I wake up with a flattish tummy and by bed time it's huge and bloated and swollen and I look pregnant. It's not in my head - my mum commented on it this morning!

I also still have a rather upset tummy in regards to bowel movements. I know this can be normal.

Do i just ride out the bloating? Is it fairly normal and will it settle down? I have searched the forum but other people seemed to be bloated all the time. Thanks!

Hi @HelveticaTheBold - can you give us a run down of what you've been eating & drinking over the last 4-5 days? There are a lot of common culprits where bloating is concerened but without knowing what you've been eating we aren't really equipped to help. Please be specific about veg types in particular as many can be problematic....

Thanks for replying @jmcbn

Breakfast:

Scrambled eggs with a side of cooked tomatoes and peppers/ sautéed zucchini and mushroom/ spinach and a splash of coconut cream. Sometimes also some guac or half an Avo.

Lunch:

waldorf salad (chicken, mayo, celery, lettuce, spinach,  apple, walnuts, tbsp seed mix of chia/sesame/pepitas/walnuts/pecans) or protein salad from the whole 30 book or a tuna salad or chicken salad. Just normal salad ingredients - lettuce, cucumber, spinach, tomato, spring onion etc. 

emergency snack (I've done a lot of car travel recently) was a handful of almonds and an apple. 

For dinner I've had:

steak, tomato salad, sweet potato mash.

Chicken, guac, salsa and lettuce

Pork and apple rissoles with Asian no dressing slaw. 

Fish and baked potato

Waldorf salad again

Salmon, potatoes, salad and mayo. 

Everything is home made and cooked in olive oil or ghee. 

2 hours ago, HelveticaTheBold said:

Thanks for replying @jmcbn

Breakfast:

Scrambled eggs with a side of cooked tomatoes and peppers/ sautéed zucchini and mushroom/ spinach and a splash of coconut cream. Sometimes also some guac or half an Avo.

Lunch:

waldorf salad (chicken, mayo, celery, lettuce, spinach,  apple, walnuts, tbsp seed mix of chia/sesame/pepitas/walnuts/pecans) or protein salad from the whole 30 book or a tuna salad or chicken salad. Just normal salad ingredients - lettuce, cucumber, spinach, tomato, spring onion etc. 

emergency snack (I've done a lot of car travel recently) was a handful of almonds and an apple

For dinner I've had:

steak, tomato salad, sweet potato mash.

Chicken, guac, salsa and lettuce

Pork and apple rissoles with Asian no dressing slaw. 

Fish and baked potato

Waldorf salad again

Salmon, potatoes, salad and mayo. 

Everything is home made and cooked in olive oil or ghee. 

Ok, so if these are all fairly regular meals then your issue could be with FODMAPs. It doesn't matter if these are foods you ate previously, what matters is that you are most likely eating more of them, and those sensitive to FODMAPs (myself included) have a tolerance threshold, and once we go over that threshold our guts get a little unhappy as they are unable to absorp/process the sugars in these foods.

I'd probably start be removing any nuts/seeds/fruit and the avocado as these are very problematic. I imagine that will make a big difference, but if it doesn't try excluding the remainder. It may seem intimidating, but there are lots of other veg out there and this isn't forever - it's just for long enough to allow your gut to settle down & then you can start trying to reintroduce the foods one at a time, paying attention to portion size, food combinations, etc., and how many FODMAPs you eat in one day.

Have a read at >this article< which may help you understand a little better, and try eating from the green list (about half way down the page) for a few days if excluding the nuts etc doesn't work.

Let us know how you get on, and if you've any questions please feel free to ask.

Archived