Why Am I Still Hungry?

So I am in week 3 of my whole 30.  I do feel great and I can see sticking with this longer than 30 days.  But I get still get so hungry between meals!  Breakfast is good.  I typically start my day with 2 scrambled eggs and 1/2 a banana with grapes or strawberries or a side of fruit.  Normally I am not having hunger pangs until time to eat lunch, which is about 4 hours later.  But most days after I finish lunch, it is all I can do to make it to dinner.  I know we technically aren't supposed to snack but there are times I have had to reach for an RXBar to tie me over.  Lunch is typically a protein, 1 or 2 sides of veggies, some type of fruit (here lately it's been clementines), and a handful of mixed almonds and cashews.  But by 2:30-3:00, I am so hungry!!!  HELP!!  What am I doing wrong?  

1 minute ago, MCWhole30 said:

I typically start my day with 2 scrambled eggs and 1/2 a banana with grapes or strawberries or a side of fruit

This.

Where are your veggies & fat?

Fruit when eaten in the morning can lead to spikes & troughs in blood sugar & as a result energy levels, and can cause faux hunger. Many people report feeling hungrier sooner when they eat a full breakfast PLUS fruit, than if they'd just eaten the full template breakfast.

Add veggies & fat to your breakfast (& you could do with more protein too) and leave the fruit til later in the day. I'm sure you will see some improvement.

Remember that when we say 1-3 cups of veg we really mean FILL YOUR PLATE - the measurement is merely so that everyone eats some vegetables, and really the fruit should never push the veg off of your plate. Lots of vegetables go with eggs - tomatoes, mushrooms, kale, & cabbage all work well for instance. Then you could top all of that with some mayo, or compliant bacon.

Breakfast sets the tone for the day so if you under-eat you spend the rest of the day playing catch-up.

Archived