Mayo Fail :( Discouraged, please help!

59 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

So what is the mayo supposed to look like?  Like normal, store bought mayo, thick and creamy and the consistency of sour cream?  Because what I have is completely liquid.  Everything was room temp, used an Emerson blender, poured the oil in slow.  Do I need to blend it for longer?  Move the stick up and down or keep it stuck to the bottom of the bowl while I blend?  I will try the trick of adding another egg yolk; it makes me sick to think of throwing away a full cup of expensive olive oil!

It looks thick . . . Like mayo!

Read this article and watch the video. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/video-food-lab-foolproof-homemade-mayonnaise.html

Get a cheap immersion blender. Do not use extra virgin olive oil. Use light [tasting] olive oil (I like Filippo Berio) or avocado oil. Make sure your Dijon mustard is compliant. (Annie's makes a compliant one.) 

Homemade mayonnaise opens up a world of wonderful sauces. 

I don't normally eat mayo,  but it is required in so many of the W30 recipes. I used mustard powder ( I thought that was what the recipe called for, maybe I read wrong) and an immersion blender. 

I tried adding an egg yolk, using a skinnier container, and pouring my mixture even more slowly... Still liquid. I'll try again with a different oil tomorrow. 

That video was helpful and I will try his recipe instead of the book's  .

5 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

I don't normally use mayo,  but it is required in so many of the W30 recipes. I used mustard powder ( I thought that was what the recipe called for, maybe I read wrong) and an immersion blender. 

I tried adding an egg yolk, using a skinnier container, and pouring my mixture even more slowly... Still liquid. I'll try again with a different oil tomorrow. 

That video was helpful and I will try his recipe instead of the book's  .

Remember to let everything rest 15-30 seconds, then the immersion blender is flat on the bottom. No pouring, because you've dumped the egg, mustard, lemon juice and oil in the container. Don't raise the blender until the mayo is forming, then tilt and raise slowly. 

Dijon mustard helps the egg and oil emulsify. I like it in my oil and vinegar dressings for that reason. 

And you can do always do your Whole30 without mayo. :)

I do like the Primal Palate mayo also. 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, Georgina2 said:

So what is the mayo supposed to look like?  Like normal, store bought mayo, thick and creamy and the consistency of sour cream?  Because what I have is completely liquid.  Everything was room temp, used an Emerson blender, poured the oil in slow.  Do I need to blend it for longer?  Move the stick up and down or keep it stuck to the bottom of the bowl while I blend?  I will try the trick of adding another egg yolk; it makes me sick to think of throwing away a full cup of expensive olive oil!

Don't throw it away. If blending another egg yolk doesn't do the trick, add some garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper and use that liquid to marinate fish and poultry. The protein will come out delicious and you won't have wasted anything at all!

I made two separate batches of mayo last week. The first one came out like yours (and I did the above so as not to waste), the second one, made within five minutes of the first, came out normal. No idea why. Same ingredients, same immersion blender, same jars, same me. :wacko:

Did you use the lowest setting on the immersion blender? I've found that using the higher setting heats up the blender and interferes with the emulsification of the mayo.

Too late, I did throw it out and  I ordered some Primal Mayo from Amazon that should be here tomorrow.  Once that runs out I'll try to make my own again.  I did wonder about the setting on the immersion blender, I think I was around a 2 or 3, mine goes up to 9.  I think my container was too big for one thing, I used a glass measuring bowl the first time and a milk frothing pitcher the second time.  I don't have jars around.  Also, fwiw, I live in Michigan and it was friggin COLD the day I tried to make it.  lo que sea.

I look at Whole 30 approved foods, see all kinds of compliant commerical sauces that people are using. Portable for traveling. My mayo flops were expensive. Some, like ArtFossil, everything they touch turns into mayo gold.  They're gifted in the kitchen. I'm just a hound dog yakkin' on a bone, working on becoming a much better cook.     cleaning smiley

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:20 PM, Georgina2 said:

Too late, I did throw it out and  I ordered some Primal Mayo from Amazon that should be here tomorrow.  Once that runs out I'll try to make my own again.  I did wonder about the setting on the immersion blender, I think I was around a 2 or 3, mine goes up to 9.  I think my container was too big for one thing, I used a glass measuring bowl the first time and a milk frothing pitcher the second time.  I don't have jars around.  Also, fwiw, I live in Michigan and it was friggin COLD the day I tried to make it.  lo que sea.

I'm not sure if the cold had anything to do with it... but maybe that's why mine didn't work either. New York is experiencing winter for the first time this season... all of winter, all at once, all this week, apparently.

If in the future you should happen across jars that will fit your immersion blender head "just so," consider washing them out and saving them. I use artichoke heart and pickle jars for this, and have found that I save time and frustration on washing spatulae and my one measuring cup that came with the blender over and over and over. It's also convenient to have vessels such as these as when your mayo fails again (though I hope it won't!), you'll have a convenient way to store that failure and make it into a success! :rolleyes:

I'm batch cooking today and have used up almost all of the oil part that floated to the top of the mayo fail of one of the doubled recipes that didn't work (did that make sense?) - it made a lovely sauté oil for my broccoli, peppers & onions, and Chinese greens. I even did my chicken sausages and egg scramble in it this morning, and I'm about to do another salmon filet to prep for a few more salads during the week. Mmmm!

• 8 months later...

Hi all.  First post here.  I diligently prepped yesterday, but after 2 failed attempts I have given up on mayo for the moment.  I followed the recipe exactly and both times ended up with a runny mess that separated soon after.  I used light olive oil and let it blend for several minutes.  Any suggestions?  I am determined to get this one figured out. 

1 hour ago, mandymoo84 said:

Hi all.  First post here.  I diligently prepped yesterday, but after 2 failed attempts I have given up on mayo for the moment.  I followed the recipe exactly and both times ended up with a runny mess that separated soon after.  I used light olive oil and let it blend for several minutes.  Any suggestions?  I am determined to get this one figured out. 

what kind of blender are you using? Immersion blender is probably your best bet. Also I've saved batches of mayo by adding another egg yolk to the "runny mess" and that usually does the trick!

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

You can try googling 'whole30 mayo fail' and you'll get a ton of results from other people with this very common concern.  There should be tips and tricks to save the mayo along with ideas of what to do with a mayo that is quite runny or that didn't emulsify.  I am going to merge your thread with a popular one on the topic in order to keep the forum neat and tidy.

Tried mayo for the first time today. Bought an emulsion blender and it died on my second attempt. To be honest, it really hurt my thumb, so other than the lost money, I’m okay with it being dead since it wasn’t making the mayo anyway. Tried a third and fourth time with the whisk attachment for my blender. One attempt I mixed slow and another attempt I mixed fast. (I can’t find any recipe that tells whether it should be fast or slow).

I have just enough oil for one more attempt. I’ve read all the responses in this thread and am not sure what else i could be doing wrong besides the speed. (I’m assuming it’s variable throughout the recipe since I’ve tried both ways) So can anyone recommend a speed and anything else I might be missing. Perhaps I should switch to the regular beaters on my blender? THANKS SO MUCH!!!

The blender needs to be running slow because it's very likely that your blender will get too hot. You can try mixing an extra egg yolk into one of the broken mayos (maybe with your hands and a whisk rather than the blender) and see if that saves it. Blenders have a tendency to get too hot and then the mayo will break. 

You can make it with just a bowl and a whisk, but it takes a *while* and you have to dribble the oil in a teeny bit at a time. 

16 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

The blender needs to be running slow because it's very likely that your blender will get too hot. You can try mixing an extra egg yolk into one of the broken mayos (maybe with your hands and a whisk rather than the blender) and see if that saves it. Blenders have a tendency to get too hot and then the mayo will break. 

You can make it with just a bowl and a whisk, but it takes a *while* and you have to dribble the oil in a teeny bit at a time. 

Will it work to use a standard mixer?? I realize (NOW) that I said blender above but i meant hand mixer. I don’t have a blender anymore (mine broke) and the emulsion blender I bought today died on mayo attempt two. 

I have a regular hand mixer with really small beaters or a whisk attachment. 

Archived