What was your motivating factor to do a Whole30?

citymom

Mine was twofold.  I put on 15 pounds after I got married . . . going from a mostly vegetarian, low on grains, but high on legumes diet, to one where I ate everything (not junk food, but way more grains than I was used to).  My husband eats a lot and doesn't gain weight.  His diet is pretty "healthy" but I became very unstructured in my eating living with him and gained weight.  I lost five of those pounds after my first son was born and another five after the second so I was on my way back to my "ideal weight" when the holidays hit last year the five pounds came right back on.  I went on a super crazy diet (the Dukan diet) in January and lost about three pounds but I was miserable and it was clearly unhealthy.  However, it was grain free and when I ate gluten again I got very sick which started me thinking about paleo.  I already knew I was lactose intolerant and I was beginning to think I had gluten issues.  I did some research and found the Whole 30.  So I went on it hoping to lose some weight and figure out my stomach issues.  Also, as a mom of two young kids I am always tired and I've been wanting to find a way to feel more energized.

I don't consider myself a scientist at all, but when it comes to food, I'm feeling pretty confident in that area. It was the sciency stuff that hooked me and made me realize I needed to stop the insanity created by years of believing that the food companies wouldn't be allowed to sell something that is bad for you. That is really laughable now when I think about it. I go through the grocery store now and know for certain that 90+% of what is our our grocery shelves is actually bad for you. I'm not giving in anymore. It takes some work to start and sustain the Paleo/Whole9 lifestyle, but it is work that, for me, has reaped more rewards than any other work. Catch some of the recommended videos on Stuff We Like. It's all very riveting and scary to know how far off course our food industry has gone since I was raised in the 50s and 60s. It has scared me straight and convinced me that clean eating is the only way to go. Stuff that isn't good for you, is actually bad for you. Whether I like it or not, whether I want to or not, truth is--- I'm setting an example for my kids and grand kids; I have just decided I want my example to be exemplary.

I was tired of seeing myself this heavy. I was a 3 sport athlete in HS and just couldn't believe what my eating habits had accomplished. I wanted to feel good and was tired of working out and seeing minimal results on the scale ( I weighed daily). It was time to make some serious adjustments. I quit smoking over 10 years ago...if I can quit that....I can conquer anything.

Dave

We bought the book and after reading a little of it I realized this was something we wanted to do. We are always looking for ways that we can reduce inflammation because both our boys have a muscle waisting disease called Duchenne. There is no cure but anti inflammatory things can help and maybe slow the progress a little bit. 

So we wanted to do a whole 30 days and try to use that food then more in our lifes after the whole 30 :)

We are currently on day 8 :)

Archived