Progress photos?

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it's relevant to troubleshooting habits so I'm going for it.  What is the verdict on taking progress photos midway through a round of Whole30? To me it's a great way of tuning in with your non-scale victories- decreased bloating and inflammation, maybe looser clothes, etc- without focusing on the number on the scale, and great encouragement for many people who think they're not getting anywhere and want to quit.  I've been told the opposite on a certain Whole30 group though, and wanted to see if there is an official stance.  Thanks!

• Administrators

This is sort of.........grey area, in my opinion. First, you're an adult and you can do whatever you want. Really.

But if what you're trying to do is focus less on how your body looks and more on how your body feels, functions, responds to food then photographing it and picking it apart for successes or failures is not going in a Whole30-consistent direction.

What if you are feeling great and energetic and stable and less bloated and your clothes are looser and then you take the picture and maybe the angle is slightly different and the lighting is a bit different and you actually DON'T think you look any better than you did at the start. Will that negate all the good things that you do feel?

No, it certainly would not negate any good effects of the program! And I'm not at all questioning the effectiveness of seeing the program through the full 30 days.  This question was prompted by the admins of a certain Whole30 group I'm in banning progress photos- there have been many people roughly halfway through a round celebrating their progress so far by sharing photos and focusing on the NSVs they're seeing.  Their reasoning was that pics were the same as weighing yourself (I disagree), and that "Melissa would not approve of people doing this", so I just wanted to check in as to whether there was an actual rule or recommendation regarding this.  Thanks!

While it's true that body composition isn't related to scale weight, i.e. 2 people that both weigh 140 lbs can looks markedly different depending on their bodyfat %, I would be of the opinion that taking progress pics is against the spirit of the program. It'd be like doing Bod Pod measurements or calipers or whatever, no it's not technically stepping on a scale, but it's still about monitoring progress.  Mmmmaybe I'd be ok with face only photos, but body shots seem to close to the realm of dieting where a person's trying to get "bikini body ready" or somesuch.

Archived