Emergency food ideas

valeriejp

Looking for ideas for emergency food for work. I work night shift on a labor and delivery unit, some nights we're so slow we're bored (leading to boredom eating, but that's another issue!) Other nights we are so busy that I'm lucky to have time to grab a larabar while charting. My problem is, if I have a Larabar with me, it's too tempting and gets eaten, even on those slow nights! So I'm looking for ideas that are portable, and I can keep in my purse or locker, which will not go bad quickly, but not so tasty I'll eat it just cause it's around! Most the ideas I can come up need refrigerated and generally don't keep very long, as I can go 2-3 weeks sometimes without needing to go to my emergency food. 

• Administrators

I think I would pack an emergency template meal that maybe did need to be refrigerated. At the end of the week you eat if for your meal if you haven't had to use it. Shelf stable "snacks" aren't really ideal, especially for folks who are already stressing themselves by working a night shift. I think I would try to just stick to real food so that you can eat when you're hungry or leave be if you're not.

A bar that you could also try that might not be as tempting is the Epic bar.  I just tried them because this store by me was going out of business.  They had them so I bought a few.  They are like jerky and not as "tempting" I would say.  Also think a disposable "bag" of tuna or chicken if it is Whole 30 compliant, unsweetened applesauce packets and even the "baby food" idea in the travel tips (babyfood squash, heated 20 seconds).

Pouches of compliant tuna (I think Starkist makes one in olive oil that is compliant and tasty) are my go to emergency food.  I eat it right out of the pouch w a fork.  Lara bars are tasty, but really not a great option for me.  They make my sugar dragon roar loudly.

I recently had to travel for 5 days on whole30 (thankfully it wasn't my first one!) and I needed to keep a lot of "non-refrigerated things for emergency food, and/or as additions to what I could get in restaurants. 

I brought chomps beef sticks, tuna packets, unsweetened apple sauce, coconut flakes, Rx bars, apples and nut butter, carrot sticks, and sliced cucumbers. Although you want to refrigerate your carrots and cukes eventually, they will not go bad, or harm you if left out for a shift. 

Night shifts are so very difficult, keep up the great work!!! 

I did the Whole30 last year and I seem to remember that RX Bars were allowed as an emergency meal.  I can not find anywhere on the website if they are still allowed?  Can someone please tell me.  I remember them being very good and very filling/satisfying.  Thank you.  I just started Whole30 again today and want to be prepared for everything.  Thanks

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, Vanessad said:

I did the Whole30 last year and I seem to remember that RX Bars were allowed as an emergency meal.  I can not find anywhere on the website if they are still allowed?  Can someone please tell me.  I remember them being very good and very filling/satisfying.  Thank you.  I just started Whole30 again today and want to be prepared for everything.  Thanks

They're no longer carrying the "Whole30 Approved" label, but are technically compliant as emergency food. Some of the other comments list more preferable sources of portable emergency foods. Here's the article that explains the RXBar decision: http://whole30.com/2015/06/future/

I will say, I usually keep an RXBar stashed in my purse, Whole30-ing or no. It can sit there for weeks or months at a time...it's not that tempting to me. But if I have an emergency, I know I have it there. Unfortunately, I know just as many people that will eat them just because they are there, and sort of sweet, so I can see the rationale for discouraging their use in a Whole30 situation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to keep salted almonds or pistachios on hand...I buy the pistachios that come in little snack packs at Sam's and my almonds are from a trip to Trader Joe's a couple months back (only almonds and salt in them).  I know its not required, but I do weigh out a serving of almonds otherwise I could easily overeat them.

Yesterday I found some Epic chicken bites at Sam's.  They are like little chicken jerky squares and in their own pouches.  They remind me a little of dog treats, but they taste ok and DH is going to keep them at his desk for work.

You have to check the flavors because not all are compliant, but I've found Epic bars to be really helpful, especially post w/o if I'm not able to have a meal right away.  The venison ones are to die for, imo.  The only down side is they're expensive.

7 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

You have to check the flavors because not all are compliant, but I've found Epic bars to be really helpful, especially post w/o if I'm not able to have a meal right away.  The venison ones are to die for, imo.  The only down side is they're expensive.

This entire diet seems expensive to me! lol

10 minutes ago, angmilky said:

This entire diet seems expensive to me! lol

I saved a boatload of $ doing my Whole30 because I wasn't eating out or buying any processed food and I was eating a ton of fresh vegetables.

Whole30 can be as economical or expensive as you want it to be. :)

Just now, ArtFossil said:

I saved a boatload of $ doing my Whole30 because I wasn't eating out or buying any processed food and I was eating a ton of fresh vegetables.

Whole30 can be as economical or expensive as you want it to be. :)

That's great! I wish I could say the same, but I find quality meat and produce and eggs to be quite expensive.  I do buy my eggs at Sam's Club which is $7.00 for 2 dozen so about 29 cents an egg.  Which isn't terrible, but we do go through them pretty fast.  I eat them for snacks or bfast as does DH.  Yesterday I actually bought 4 dozen.

I try to buy organic produce whenever I can find it, especially for things where I eat the skin like apples, and berries or always for things like lettuce and tomatoes if I can get it.  I find organic carrots have a lot more flavor than standard.  The rest I don't usually see organic.

I think the worst part is meat....buying a lot of boneless skinless chix thighs, flank steak, last week I bought fresh grouper ($30) and ribeyes. I know I don't have to eat that way, but I figure if I am going to do this, I am going to enjoy it! The organic Aidell's chicken apple sausages are $8.99 at my Publix! I don't like to buy a ton of meat at once, so I tend to stop at the store every couple of days and pick up chicken or beef and I buy based on what I want to eat, not on what is on sale (sometimes I buy on sale, but a lot of times. the "healthier" options rarely seem to go on sale.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:50 PM, angmilky said:

That's great! I wish I could say the same, but I find quality meat and produce and eggs to be quite expensive.  I do buy my eggs at Sam's Club which is $7.00 for 2 dozen so about 29 cents an egg.  Which isn't terrible, but we do go through them pretty fast.  I eat them for snacks or bfast as does DH.  Yesterday I actually bought 4 dozen.

I try to buy organic produce whenever I can find it, especially for things where I eat the skin like apples, and berries or always for things like lettuce and tomatoes if I can get it.  I find organic carrots have a lot more flavor than standard.  The rest I don't usually see organic.

I think the worst part is meat....buying a lot of boneless skinless chix thighs, flank steak, last week I bought fresh grouper ($30) and ribeyes. I know I don't have to eat that way, but I figure if I am going to do this, I am going to enjoy it! The organic Aidell's chicken apple sausages are $8.99 at my Publix! I don't like to buy a ton of meat at once, so I tend to stop at the store every couple of days and pick up chicken or beef and I buy based on what I want to eat, not on what is on sale (sometimes I buy on sale, but a lot of times. the "healthier" options rarely seem to go on sale.

Do you have a warehouse store nearby (Costco, BJ's, Sams Club etc)? We save A TON of $$ by shopping in bulk there, and the quality of meat is better than at my regular grocery store, but not as pricey as Whole Foods in my experience!

We save a lot of money also by buying cheaper cuts of meat (beef, pork) and making stews with them in the crockpot - that way it is easy to prep with a very small amount of effort (just throw in rough-chop veggies, a big hunk of meat, dried seasonings, and a little water/broth or can of crushed tomato), gets super tender without having to spend money on better cuts of meat, and is SO DELICIOUS once all the flavors are blended and slowly simmered over hours. MMmmmmm!

On 1/20/2017 at 11:36 AM, valeriejp said:

Looking for ideas for emergency food for work. I work night shift on a labor and delivery unit, some nights we're so slow we're bored (leading to boredom eating, but that's another issue!) Other nights we are so busy that I'm lucky to have time to grab a larabar while charting. My problem is, if I have a Larabar with me, it's too tempting and gets eaten, even on those slow nights! So I'm looking for ideas that are portable, and I can keep in my purse or locker, which will not go bad quickly, but not so tasty I'll eat it just cause it's around! Most the ideas I can come up need refrigerated and generally don't keep very long, as I can go 2-3 weeks sometimes without needing to go to my emergency food. 

a collard turkey wrap with avocado, a few slices of Persian Cucumber, heirloom tomato, and balsamic vinegar with pepper, sesame seed and chopped green onion mixture.

• 1 month later...

Tuna in can and flakes would be enough to satisfy your appetite. I am also working night shift and I need to feed up my hungry stomach specially during rush hours where I take so many calls. At dawn, I can't manage myself to grab something that will help boost my energy so what I usually do, I always bring something that is delicious and healthy as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm learning to keep emergency food on me at all times. Whatever I have with me, I make sure it can sustain heat (if it's in my car) and isn't perishable. I love unsalted cashews as well as RXBars. I prefer not to use Larabars because it's food with no brakes, and doesn't help tame my sugar dragon. I also love, love olives. I buy them in snack sized containers for on-the-go convince. Plus, they're drained so no spilling as I open it.

Archived