Not eating enough?

jennyslepian

Hi all,

I'm on Day 14 (yay!) but have been having a really hard time the past couple days. I wonder if I am eating enough. The past couple days I've been so tired, and getting little bouts of dizziness. I am having to do a low FODMAP Whole30, and I am also not much of a meat eater. My options are fairly limited. I feel like things started off well, and then sweet potato started to upset my stomach, and eggs started to upset my stomach, and I was so not enjoying my food that I kind of stopped eating it. Once I realized how little food I could get by on without being hungry, this whole adventure changed meaning from something to help my IBS, to something that feels more like a crash diet. I have had body dysmorphia in the past, and some of those issues are being triggered. Anyway, I feel like it was all ok until about Day 12. I've tried to keep up with my workouts, but I get to 8pm and just feel absolutely bone tired. Here's what I had to eat today:

Breakfast: "Monkey Salad"- banana, berries, almond butter, shredded coconut, and walnuts

Lunch: veggie egg scramble with potatoes and fruit on the side

Dinner: 2 homemade chicken burgers and steamed snap peas

No snacks. Synergy kombucha, lots of tea and some water. 90 minute hike this afternoon. 

Would love any insight into the mental battle this can be, and also what might help. At this point, I'm afraid I physically won't make it the next 16 days! 

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, jennyslepian said:

Once I realized how little food I could get by on without being hungry, this whole adventure changed meaning from something to help my IBS, to something that feels more like a crash diet. I have had body dysmorphia in the past, and some of those issues are being triggered.

No one here is a doctor, but this sounds an awful lot to me like something you need to talk to your doctor or therapist about. The goal of Whole30 isn't to see how little food you can survive on -- that sounds like it's getting into disordered eating. You might read through this article and think about whether continuing with Whole30 is really in your best interests right now. The point of all of this is to make yourself healthier, and that doesn't just mean physically healthy, but also emotionally and mentally. If you're compromising your health in any way to do this, you really need to rethink it. It is absolutely okay to stop Whole30 and work with a professional to find a way to balance figuring out how to help your IBS with keeping you mentally healthy. 

Thanks Shannon. I think the biggest problem is that everything I eat really upsets my stomach. I started this to get relief in those symptoms, but they have only gotten worse and have brought some unwelcome friends (dizziness, joint pain, lethargy) with them. I am on Day 17 now. In a way, it's less painful to NOT eat, if that makes any sense.

I guess I was just really really optimistic that so many of those Whole30 benefits would kick in and help with these lifelong issues. I have been gluten-free, paleo, and off sugar and caffeine since 2008, so I also thought I was starting from a good place. It's hard to not get down on it, so I thought well if my IBS isn't going to improve, maybe I'll at least lose some weight!

I have been eating  A LOT more the past couple days. Just really upped my portions and tried to get more fats in there. The carbs are hard since I really don't like potatoes. I'm sure that Whole30 works really well for a lot of people, but perhaps it's just not right for me.

Change your gut and you can change your life. Work on gut healing.  Bone broth, kombucha, collagen peptides, kimchi and fermented foods.  Really work on healing the gut. Monkey Salad is not something the veteran W30'rs eat.  SWYPO and no protein.  Remember that nuts are fats. 

Archived