February 6th begins the new "us"

Henderson Team

Truckin' along, I think we're on day 22 right?  It's gotten harder to keep track- for a while there it felt like time was flying now it's dragging.  I've definitely hit the 'why am I doing this I should just quit' phase.  Last night I was staring at my kids' chocolate chip muffins and nearly gave in, but I told myself 'you are stronger than muffins' and ate some potatoes instead.

I gave myself food poisoning on Saturday night and I'm still suffering some ill effects so that's making everything really hard.  I'm not confident in eating proteins (it was badly prepared beef that got me) and I'm afraid of irritating my stomach with heavy, fatty foods.  I'm also really sick of cooking and not being able to just grab something easy out of the fridge.  I thought I had a couple days of tiger blood last week, but it's all been downhill since Thursday and I wish I could just get my health back to baseline so that I could concentrate on eating to template and watching for positive changes.  I'm just frustrated.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like we're all posting a bit less which is great as it means we have less to complain about ;)  I agree with you @Georgina2 - time flew for a bit but it does seem to drag right now.  I've felt really good lately with workouts, energy and attitude but also my cravings have become stronger lately.  I want ALL the desserts I see haha.  Dried mango is saving my life right now.  

Hopefully everyone is still going strong!  My favorite recipe I've made so far are these chicken avocado burgers (I use turkey instead and they are wrapped in romaine and with W30 mayo/Cholula) and potatoes on the side.  MMMM!

Also if anyone has made the pesto from the W30 book yet, it's incredible with pine nuts.  You wouldn't even know it is missing the parmesan cheese.  Amazing on zoodles with some cut up chicken or even turkey meatballs.

Have a great week, all!

@Georgina2 and @stinagrace

Time really is dragging. For a while last week every day I was excited that another day had passed and now I'm like, ugh over another whole week of this. I feel like it is even harder because I'm doing a nine-day reintro, so my first full free day isn't for another 18 days. 

I was also so sick of cooking! I'm doing super basic breakfast salads, with microwaveable sausages and green beans for lunch. I could not spend another four hours prepping this past weekend. I just could not do it. I'm hoping I can just make it through this week and then really push through until the end. I'm definitely flagging, and it hasn't helped that work has picked up.

You've all done such an amazing job so far, and that's not just empty pep talk. Cravings, lethargy, headaches, illness, insensitive junk-food-gobbling cohabitants — for three weeks now, you've endured and conquered.

Stay strong! I've read about so many people who've given up in the final stretch. I think sometimes they just start feeling defeated and forgot how many pesky things they've defeated along the way.

I'm impressed with every single one of you, and reading your messages here has helped me as I go along.

We've got this! (And I think I might even be feeling a tiny bit of Tiger Blood now. At least Kitten Blood. It's a start!)

@Carmen Azcona I totally understand.   My menu this week is the same for the first two meals, breakfast:  leftovers, lunch: salad.  I'm going to cook a tri-tip tonight and slice it up to go on my salad and I bought some nice olives and avocado, so fat and protein are set.  

My husband left on what was going to be a 2 day work trip last Tuesday that has turned into 10 days.  Single-momming it is hard, I have so much respect for the ladies who do this all the time!  It's definitely made things tougher for me, not only am I more busy but I have to cook all their non-compliant food which is so tempting.  I can't wait to be into the reintro phase.  I just pray that dairy and grain don't end up being issues for me.  

I was wondering what happened to everyone... glad to see that there are so many of us still out there.  I cannot say that I am looking forward to this being over... I have really enjoyed ALL the food that I have had during these week, and I find that the Whole30 cookbook is pretty amazing.  The food even turns out like the pictures.  We do not plan to start the reintroduction phase immediately.  I definitely want to wait at least for another week or two.

To my advantage, I do not have kids at home, and my husband has been at home during this whole phase... he is an amazing cook, grocery shopper, and also helps prep and plan for the week, so I am definitely not alone.  I am sure that makes it a little more fun to have someone to share in the journey.

My husband and I are traveling together Thursday through Sunday to visit family, and we have our meals planned.  I think the hard part may be, visiting family without wine!  As far as Tiger Blood, I cannot say that I have experienced this, but I will say that getting out of bed is easy in the morning, and I wake up at a decent time even without the alarm being set (has been a mistake a couple of nights).

I am looking forward to being able to weigh and measure at 30 days.  I think I will then put the scales away for another selected period.  I am the person in the book that weights every morning... sometimes through the day... and even if I get up in the middle of the night... so- not having the scales available has been like a little vacation.  Then I beat myself up and criticize myself... all while being hungry.  I can say, I have not been hungry after the first week eating this way- and I have learned I like may different and new vegetables!

Congratulations to all of us.... we are no longer in double digits of days remaining, and we clearly have made some good choices to stick with this.  Most of all, we embraced this journey with complete strangers who were (are) willing to support and cheer each other on.

Keep it up team!

Even though I've been quiet on posts, it's been a huge help to keep reading what everyone is going through. 

@Carmen Azcona - No scale has been huge for me as well. I weigh myself way too often. It's never a good thing, especially with how overweight I am. Changing my body image, along with my relationship with food is going to be a long term process for me.  I think I'll keep the scale away as well after I check on day 31!

@Georgina2 - Congratulations on the compliment!! I know everyone's doing great, even if the number on the scale doesn't move, we've got to remember those NSV's! I have been very down that I haven't been complimented, even by those who haven't seen me in 21 days.  I know that my clothes are fitting better, that my energy is up (probably not Tiger Blood levels, but definitely more than I've had in a long time) and that my attitude is much more positive, primarily because I've stuck with it.  All excellent NSV's! But, especially with how much weight I have to lose, I'd like someone to notice. So, last night, my 10 year old wraps her arms around my middle and then looks up at me with eyes as big as saucers.  She steps back and says, "Mommy, you've lost weight, like a lot of it." and shows me that not only do her hands wrap all the way around my middle, but her hands completely overlap when she hugged me... best reaction ever!!

My biggest victory so far is that I walked into a fitness center for the 1st time in I don't know how long.  It's a 30 minute cardio kickboxing center.  You walk in ready to do the circuit workout and leave 30 minutes later.  I'm horribly critical of myself, battle many years of telling myself I can't do these things because of my size but I've pushed thorough all of those thoughts - twice this week.

I will weigh myself and take measurements on Day 31, but I'm continuing with the whole 30.  I've made huge strides with how I handle my food, but I'm far from really breaking  my habits.  I made my kids mac & cheese last week and was so frustrated by not being able to try it (which would have led to eating it) that I grabbed a bag of snow peas and ate.  I'm happy I didn't cave, but it was still an emotional moment of eating which I need to stop (I was hungry and dinner wasn't close to being ready but that's another topic all together).

Congratulations to everyone for sticking to it this far! Just 7.5 days to go!!

@The Conquista_girls that is so awesome with your daughter and with the fitness center!  You go girl!

I emailed the YMCA for a membership price quote.  It is less than a mile from my house, and while it's not fancy or particularly nice it has equipment and classes which is all I need.  

I also think I'm going to continue my w30, I just don't know how long.  I've not had as many nsv's as I'd like.  I want to get better with my energy levels and my stomach issues, and I also am worried about going back to bad habits.  

This week I saw two people that I haven't see since Christmas and both of them said " you have lost a lot of weight, right"? I was nice, to hear that because my clothes doesn't feel that much different specially on my big hips,I didn't measured myself when I started, I know which was my weight so I'm excited to see how I did in few more days! I can't believe that this 30 days are almost over.I didn't decide if I will continue another 30 days or not yet.I feel great and I don't want to be were I was before.

You are an amazing group of people and you should be proud of yourself because no mater how many pounds or how many inches we lost,  we all did it!, we changed our food habits we cooked different recipes, we learn many many things, so DON'T GIVE UP NOW.

in the last week, keep on keeping on

made it through a condolence call,  no time for real dinner on the way over and comfort foods available

my big accomplishment this w30 has been shifting to a  real mini meal instead of a snack ( lunch is at 11 and dinner is at 8, there has to be food inbetween)

@Georgina2@Henderson Teamimstill

8 hours ago, JenHZ said:

in the last week, keep on keeping on

made it through a condolence call,  no time for real dinner on the way over and comfort foods available

my big accomplishment this w30 has been shifting to a  real mini meal instead of a snack ( lunch is at 11 and dinner is at 8, there has to be food inbetween)

I'm still here. My phone won't let me reply so I finally outsmarted it. Haha

I've been super busy. I've been building a garden, working in the yard and we added a couple of ducks to our animal menagerie. 

I'm so proud of all everyone! I'm not going to do reintroduction for a while I think. I'm good with not eating all the extra stuff but when I do I'm going to start with cheese. I'm interested to continue and see what my body is supposed to look like. I've been stuck at my highest pregnancy weight for way too long! 

@Mrs. V I'm jealous of your garden.  I want to make one this year but I have no idea how to do it or even when to start (we live in Michigan and still have some snow days mixed with warmer days).

I'm definitely going to go to 45 days.  I haven't been eating off plan but I have also not been eating to template and I have not been feeling well for about a week.  It's hard to tell what is the food poisoning I had, what is the cold that I'm getting, and what is meal related.  Oh, plus this crazy weather has me dealing with migraines so I don't know when my head hurts if it's diet or barometric pressure related.  I want to get back to eating to template consistently and add some supplements and see what that does.

Another nsv, my bad chest/shoulder/back acne is mostly gone!  My face still has a few stubborn spots but it's better than it was.

6 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

@Mrs. V I'm jealous of your garden.  I want to make one this year but I have no idea how to do it or even when to start (we live in Michigan and still have some snow days mixed with warmer days).

I@Georgina2@Henderson Teamimstill

Do you see how ridiculous my phone is?!? I can't delete old tags or quotes. Sheesh. Stupid smartphone. 

Anyways Georgina check out a keyhole garden.  Even up there in Michigan it would allow you to plant a garden earlier due to decomposition heating up the raised bed and keeping plants warm. Or if you want something easier,  straw bale gardening. There's a very good book on Amazon. 

I'm just finishing up my keyhole garden.  I've been shoveling dirt for a couple of days and wouldn't you know I irritated an old rotator cuff injury yesterday carrying a box of groceries from aldi!  Typical! 

9 hours ago, JenHZ said:

12 minutes ago, Mrs. V said:

Anyways Georgina check out a keyhole garden.  Even up there in Michigan it would allow you to plant a garden earlier due to decomposition heating up the raised bed and keeping plants warm. Or if you want something easier,  straw bale gardening. There's a very good book on Amazon. 

Thank you, I will read up on these!

And it's not just your phone, these forums are a bit buggy in general.  I figure it's the price we pay for having a free site to use.

I'm so glad I found you!  I started my first W30 on 2/5 and wish I had found this thread a couple of weeks ago. Overall, I am loving how I feel eating this way! My question is: where is this energy that I've read about?  My first 7-10 days I was tired every afternoon and many of those I needed a short nap.  I had a few incredible days at Day 17, 18, 19 as far as energy. Since then, I've been sleepy every morning (after 8-9 hours of night time sleep and sometimes an afternoon nap) and it  is hard to keep my eyes open at work! Yikes!  Am I doing something wrong? Is it just going to take me longer?  I've never been a coffee drinker, but I have had several cups of iced coffee (black coffee w/coconut milk and cinnamon) in the past couple of weeks.  I didn't want to come to 'depend' on them, so have given it up.  My unsweet tea is decaffeinated.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Archived