February 6th begins the new "us"

Henderson Team

I was seeing some energy improvements in week three that I've lost this week, but I think it's because I haven't been strict with my template eating, which is why I'm adding an extra two weeks.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started on Feb 6 too. I have been on a facebook group but thought I would say hi to all of you feb 6th starts as well. I'm very excited that I have made it this far but as @Georgina2 mentioned I will be going a little longer not sure how long but I haven't corrected the issue I want to at this point. Great job you all keep it up.

@jspiddlin

If you kept a food log, check to see what you ate on the days you had great energy and on the days you did not have great energy. Perhaps you were not following the meal templates as well on the days you did not have energy? It could also be that it is taking longer to kick in.

I'm still not feeling high-energy but I ate a ton of crap regularly before starting this so I'm not surprised I haven't seen much improvement in energy.  

I am keeping a food log and jotting down how I "feel".  Nothing has jumped out at me, besides the coffee on my first really great day.  But, I've had coffee on sluggish days too. I'm just ready to feel that good again, more often than sleepy.  Thanks!

So yesterday morning my skin was mostly clear- Well by last night I was broken out all over again. I couldn't figure out what caused it until I remember tonight I had shrimp for lunch yesterday. I hadn't eaten it before on my W30. I think it's safe to say I probably have a mild allergy. I'm so sad, my favorite celebratory meal is surf and turf . But at least I know now!

@Georgina2 Sorry to hear about the allergy, but as you say, at least you know. I have a feeling reintroduction is going to be filled with revelations like that.

I just realized today that my inner arms don't have the tiny little bumps on them that they used to. They're smooth. It was almost as though I was keeping low-level hives there all the time — and for so long, for so many years, that it just seemed normal to me. All I had to do was scratch a bit, and they'd raise up and get so itchy and red.

Now I'm wonder what was causing it. I'll know in time!

Welcome to Day 28!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I went to Disney World yesterday (Magic Kingdom and Animal Planet) and stayed for about 13 hours. The temptations were definitely the most intense yet — treats were everywhere and, frankly, they all looked amazing.

But I had my bag full of W30 food with me: paleo turkey bacon (cooked to jerky stage), citrus fruit, Epic salmon bars, SeaSnax nori, etc.).

I'm really glad they let you bring in your own food. It would have been very difficult (possible, but just barely) to do a full-day visit without it.

Today I plan to focus on what's ahead. I've been debating about what to do when Day 30 ends — where to from there? Whole45? Reintro?

I'm going to figure that out for certain today ... but I think I already know.

Right now I'm leaning toward starting a very slow reintroduction over the next month or more, so I can really tell what specific foods are problems. Then I'd like to adapt to my new normal for a while (which I expect to be a personalized paleo-ish way of eating).

Then, not too far off — maybe before the summer is out — I'd like to do another Whole30. That way I can be certain that nothing I reintroduced has been causing any slow-to-discover problems, and also, I can make sure I'm not letting any bad habits take hold again.

But we'll see if that's still the plan after I've given it more thought!

What's next for you?

I'm going to do a w45, but I'm also thinking about what my goals are for reintro and after. I'm hoping that if all goes well I can add back in chocolate, cheese, and Greek yogurt and occasional pasta and pizza. Otherwise I plan to stick to a mostly Paleo diet. 

I'm trying to decide if I should weigh myself on day 31 or wait to 46. I'm really getting anxious to see the numbers on the scale, it was all I could do not to say 'f it' and weigh myself this morning.

I'm going with a nine day reintroduction (dairy, gluten grains, and nongluten grains). I hardly ever eat legumes so I'm not worried about them and I don't drink alcohol very much either.

As for after the reintro, I've started to give it some thought. I think though I won't be able to decide until I see how my body reacts to different food groups. If I have a rough time with dairy, I might take it out of my diet for a while and slowly reintroduce different types. I'll do the same if I have bad reactions to either of the grains. I don't think I could stick to a paelo diet. It's too much cooking for me. I'm hoping to really listen to my body during reintro though and make smart choices based on how I feel.

Yeah, Georgina2.  I've been tempted to weigh myself, too.  I'll do it on Day 31 even if I keep on going a bit longer.  

I need to work on drinking more water.  That time of day when I feel the need to snack is partly habit (huge, ingrained habit) and partly just thirst.  I think staying hydrated better will be good for so many reasons.   I never minded plain water, but I did have LaCroix once. Flavored seltzer waters do make it more interesting to drink more.  I have tea or hot water with lemon when I want a hot drink.  I'm also better at enjoying coffee black since being on Whole30.  

@Eccentrica Impressive getting through Disney with your planned food!!! You did it right.   

It's just very cool that we are this close to Day 30.  I will get to add a few more days before going out of town Friday, but I will begin reintro while away.  I want to control it, so I should make a plan, right?  What do you all recommend?  I think I will add one thing back at a time.  I also don't want to just make those prohibited foods be something I'm eating daily again.  I will try a small amount but then go back to not eating them most of the time.  I think that's how the Food Freedom thing should go.  You choose the moments to indulge.   In some ways I feel ready to live that way but sometimes I do still see remnants of bad habits and need to make sure to quash them. 

Made it though a comic convention, still W30 is may achievement.  good thing is many pack lunch as food is not great.   did eat out at dinner tonight at a wonderful restaurant.  kept w30 since I asked to go to this expensive place so I could  also so close to end.  tomorrow is my day 30 as I started the 5th. and they had food I could eat!  had to hunt around for a safe side but got one.

I'm also nervous about reintro! My boss changed a work dinner specifically so I could go, and I'm so nervous to eat non-compliant things bc I feel so good! It's also one of my all time favorite restaurants. I am going to try to stick to salad/proteins and decide between dessert and wine. The hard part is that we are leaving the country the next morning for a 4-day vacation, it'll be near impossible to stay compliant. I plan on going back to full Whole30 once we're back, and only eat non-compliant when we're away from home. 

I reintroduced dairy and I think it may have caused a bit of anxiety. I don't even know if that's possible. But, is the only thing that's different. After my bike ride my breathing was weird and my lips were stuck in a pucker for a couple hours. Very strange

I'm also nervous about reintroduction. I really don't want this 30 days to be over, I feel great, my acid reflux it's gone and also my stomach problems. I need to do the reintro in order to know what was making my stomach upset, but I will probably go back to this diet again after trying all the foods, (dairy, gluten grains, and legumes ).

I made my own almond milk yesterday and it's delicious, on another topic I fit in a size smaller pant. I'm happy.

Last day! people we almost did it! Thank you so much for all the support , reading this blog help me to rich the  finishing line :)

I love reading about how you're all feeling and what your reintro plans are!

After spending some quality time with my Whole30 book last night, and I've got a clearer plan. On Wednesday morning — after our 30th day is behind us — I'm going to start the day with a list of my NSVs, then I'm going to step on the scale, and then ...

I'll pretty much continue to eat as I've been eating. I don't know if I'll call it a W45 or W60 or W-hatever. Eventually I'm going to do with that slow-roll reintro — at my own pace, in my own order and returning to strict W30 eating if any bad reintro issues hit (until they pass), etc. Very slowly working my way to my new normal.

But for now? I don't really know when that first bite of cheese or dark chocolate or German rye bread will happen. I'm going to wait until I really want it to happen.

I feel good about this decision, especially since I'm just now starting to feel some of the bigger benefits kick in — moments of real Tiger Blood (got a good strong dose today!) and anti-inflammatory benefits (walked 7.5 miles Saturday without requiring a day to recover!).  

There was a passage in the Whole30 book that sealed it for me, someone who has several medical challenges, including multiple autoimmune diseases. It was similar to this sentiment on the site:

Generally speaking, if you have a long-standing medical issue, an autoimmune disease, or a history of tenacious cravings or food addictions, you’ll likely find 30 days isn’t enough to see the full potential of your results. We bet you’ll feel better after 30 days, and will probably see a reduction in symptoms and cravings, but you may be thinking, “I’m still not where I want to be.”  If that’s your context, consider extending your Whole30 to 45, 60, even 90 days to see if additional time on the program brings you the results you are looking for. 

http://whole30.com/2014/08/whole30-plus/

No matter what is next for you, good luck!

I am done with my 30 days ( stared the 5th).  1 day of reintro tomorrow. Friday I leave on a trip.  will post when I can in the post w30 logs.  Mine is Dancing my own Dance.

successfully navigating eating out and learning to make all my meals real meals are my big successes. 

Day 30! Did you ever think we'd make it?! Congratulations to everyone. Good luck on reintroductions for those who are done, and for those of us who are going on, keep up the good work.

Hey everyone! I also started February 6 with all of you. I never really joined in the thread because honestly I didn't know if I would make it until the end. I came back to the thread and read anytime I needed some inspiration or just to feel I wasn't alone. I went at this alone (it's just me and my husband and we are newlyweds. Maybe DON'T try this the first three months of marriage! My husband also eats VERY FAR from Whole30) so I found great comfort in knowing there were others out there with their own sets of challenges and obstacles trying to do this thing. I feel great after ~30 days and appreciate the ways that Whole30 stretched me to cook more than I ever have and literally make 19 trips to the store over 30 days! I don't think I'll ever do Whole30 again but can appreciate the habits learned and that I challenged myself and (just about! 12 hours to go!) overcame. Thanks to all of you for your contributions to this thread. Probably without realizing it, you have all helped me along. Congrats everyone and good luck with whatever you plan for tomorrow and beyond!

Archived