February 6th begins the new "us"

Henderson Team

I've also gotten primal mayo at PCC ( our local co-op) and whole foods, though it is a bit late for shopping tonight.  If your mayo came together at all it will still taste fine even if it is runny.

pretty well prepped for the first days of the week.  need to think of a crockpot recipe for Tuesday.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all!  May I join in too?  I am starting today as well!  I am 39, turning the big 4-0 in June and I have resolved to become the best version of me this year, mentally, physically, and spiritually so today starts my 3rd Whole 30.  I am looking forward to feeling good again, My last Whole 30 was in November.  I took a break after that but went way off the deep end and now I feel miserable again, I have bloating, aches and pains and muscle spasms, mental fog, the whole bit!  I've never done this with the support of others so this time I thought I'd try this blog for additional support and encouragement!  

Hi Everyone.  I actually started yesterday but I'm going to join your group if that's ok.  I've never done Whole30 before so this is all new to me!  I cleaned out my kitchen and grocery shopped Saturday and finished reading "It Starts with Food" and "The Whole30" yesterday so I think I'm as ready as I will ever be.  I'm nervous but excited and looking forward to learning from everyone on the forum.  My first question is: what recipes did you pick for your "Emergency Quick Meals"?

Hi all.  This seems like an active group and I'd like to join.  Thank you Henderson's for starting it!  I am 41 and 197 pounds at 5'7"... I fight depression and am ready to be off meds, with no mental fog and more productivity... for life!  I got through breakfast today (my day 1 also) and need to get to grocery store with my Real Plans shopping list.  I've got the week planned out.

Thanks for being my team.  Good luck to all!

I'm going to see if they have primal mayo at our local health food store. 

I'm still very sick but starting anyway. Made eggs with tomatoes and spinach for breakfast but only got a couple bites down. I had a banana too so at least that's something.

Hey - I'm starting today, too. This looks like a good place to hang out, so if you don't mind, here I am :)

My husband and I are in this together. I'm 41 and he's 40, and are doing this for various reasons. He has lots of random pain issues, and we're thinking that this might help isolate/eliminate problems and food triggers. He has a few lbs to lose, but not much. His is more for general health. Mine is also for general health, but I currently weigh 187 lbs (5'5) with super-high body fat, according to the scale I'm not stepping on for the next 30 days. I'd like mostly to reduce body fat, and to lose about 30 lbs.

We started planning this about 2 weeks ago, and have completely eliminated all crap from our pantry. I threw out my Hershey's chocolate syrup. That was a big deal for me. I've been a sugar freak all my life, and love all things bread, pasta, sugar, etc.

We both love to cook, so that part will be easy. I've meal-planned for the next week, and will do more so we're prepared.

A week ago, we started dipping our toes into the Whole30 thing in prep for today by trying to see how much we could do. We cut out alcohol, which was hard because we both love beer and cocktails and have something every night. We also started eating Whole30 compliant mostly, but since we had a couple of dinner engagements scheduled, we can't say for certain that the steaks we had weren't cooked in butter.

After a week of mostly Whole30, I have to say I feel fantastic. My head is clearer than it's ever been, my energy is different - it's less frantic and more calm, but there's more of it - weird, and great at the same time.

And, since it wasn't Whole30 time last week, I did weigh myself. Last Sunday, I was 192 with 45.9% body fat. Yesterday, I was 187 with 44.9% body fat. No more peeking until next month.

If you need additional motivation for this, check out the movies "Fed Up" and "That Sugar Film" - they both have absolutely changed the way he and I think about food. 

Good luck, everyone. This is so exciting!

Can I join?? I started this morning for the 2nd time, but I will finish this time!!! I'm 39, 5' 5", and as of this morning 237.4 lbs. I truly dislike myself and need to change!! I've done a slight clean out, but as I am also cooking for my husband and 2 girls, there are still a lot of off limit items in the pantry and fridge. I think my biggest obstacle will be giving up the stevia and milk in my tea. I like my black tea on the sweet and rather light side, so I've been finding other things to drink. All I've ever drank is tea and water, but growing up in the south gave me a taste for sweet tea, so I find it rather bitter right now. I know that will change, so I'm working through it.

I'm also starting today....mind if I tag along?  I'm 49, 5'1" and 153 nuggets (eeks).  I have two grown boys (22/20) and a wonderful and supportive hus that I said yes to almost two years ago.  My band wagon started immediately following the Superbowl (even though I started preparing about two weeks ago) and will need the luck of the Irish getting through 30 days on the wagon.  Sounds like the perfect group if you don't mind my tagging along.  I'm getting involved as much as I can to obtain as much support as possible.

Thanks in advance and best of luck to us all!!

Hi guys, I'm starting with you today if you don't mind!  I too have food sensitivities and am on a 4-month-long plan for health (from functional nutritionist).  I am 5 weeks in but need some support to stick with it.  I'm going to try to do better with having 3 solid meals a day and not eat the last one so late in the evening.  I was drinking wine every night and have given it up, so if I can, ANY of you can... really!      

ErinL, I don't like bitter plain tea either!  Two of my favorite teas are Good Earth Sweet and Spicy (there's a caffeine-free version) and also Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice.  They both have strong cinnamon-y flavors that make them taste sweet (to me).     

I'm curious about who has and loves instant pots, too.  (For some reason I can't make Quote work today.)  Good luck everyone! 

check your celestial seasonings  teas for soy.  also one of my good earth teas has soy and 1 doesn't.  Good earth is so satisfying to me especially if I have to hang out by people eating dessert.

got kid out for a walk in the snow. quite an achievement for a 18 year old high school senior to hang out with parent in public.

Hello! I'm starting my second Whole 30 today (the last was two years ago), and I'm happy to see an active group on the same timeline.

I'm hoping to achieve some of the same things I did in the last round: increased energy, smarter food planning, identifying "trigger foods," lessen reliance on alcohol 

Plus a few more: Get in better shape for my wedding in May, deal with anxiety and stress

Best of luck to everyone! 

I just spent 3 hours at Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Costco.  Too much at one time!  My fridge is packed.  Perhaps next week I'll shop twice in a week.  I got home at 1:30 and was starving.  Need to eat earlier tomorrow.  Had a cobb salad which was good but I didn't have time to make chicken for it so I just had hard boiled eggs and avocado.  The home made dressing I made was bad.  Any good dressings??

Ugh, I just ate some ice cream without even thinking about it. Wouldn't have it in the house, of course, except the kids aren't joining us on this Whole30 so we didn't purge our house of everything non-compliant. 

Oh well. Guess my new start date is 2/7.

I was so surprised and extremely happy to see all of us joining together for our journey.   Day one is about done, and for me, it was not that bad.  I will have to say that I definitely got the sugar craving at 3:15- head a little foggy- and not able to focus as well as I would have liked but I made it through.  Sure glad that our plan today included a roast in the crock pot (Slow Cooker Italian Roast Beef pg 43 in the Whole 30 Cookbook).  This recipe has three remix recipes that takes care of the left overs!  I know where the next few meals are coming from with little prep!

As for the wine drinkers... My husband and I both love our drinks... Wine and Beer.  I often joke that I only drink things that start with "W"- Wine, Whiskey and Water.  So for the next 30 - and maybe longer I will be finding something new to drink.

For my back up recipes, I have prepped meatballs and put them in the freezer.... I plan on making a Sheppard Pie as this one states that it can be frozen and I need to get some canned sweet potatoes for the No Fuss Salmon Cakes.   I have yet to find the sweet potatoes without added sugars... suggestions?

Good luck tomorrow gang!  WE got this!

I had to buy frozen sweet potatoes too get ones without sugar.

Hard part tonight was I made Lipton soup for the kids (who also have the stomach flu) with added cream and couldn't taste it to see if it was edible before giving to them.

@jenHZ, thanks, I probably will continue to use this thread. I just feel dumb. I was good at the salad bar at lunch today, I avoided the shredded cheese and bacon bits which otherwise I would have had. Then I get home and lose my concentration. 

Archived