February 6th begins the new "us"

Henderson Team

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys!  I just found your group.  I started the Whole30 yesterday and it is my first time.  I am recently divorced and gained quite a bit of weight in the last few years and have no control over sweets.  My stats: 37 years old, 5'7" and 182 lbs. I'd love to lose 30 pounds before my birthday in June.  i hope this is the beginning of a life with more control over my food and increased health and energy.  I am always so tired!  The first day went well.  Today i have a mild headache but not too bad.  I might get sick of eggs every morning so I'm going to have to research for recipes. I thought briefly about quitting coffee at the same time but backed out.  It might serve as a "luxury item" in these first few days. I look forward to reading about everyone's successes and sharing in your struggles as well.  We can do this!

Day one is in the books for me and I have to say ... I feel pretty good about my choices.  I mean let's be real here....I didn't have any wine!!!!

I did have the most amazing dinner.  I found it on Mel Joulwan's site.  If you haven't checked her out you really should.  Tandoori Chicken with Curry Pineapple Cauliflower Rice

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/06/16/dinner-a-movie™-curry-prehistoric-eating-machines/

My husband hates (with fiery hot passion) cauliflower and broccoli.  But, he's the best guinea pig ever and is always willing to try.  He actually loved it and said he would eat it regularly.  It sounded weird to me but it was really good.  I marinated the chicken on Sunday afternoon and the whole process on Monday night took roughly 45 minutes.  I was running late this morning so it made a pretty good breakfast as well.  Tonight, Paleo Zoodle Pizza (also on her website).

I know the coming days and weeks may not be so rosy but I'm happy I have this group here.  Day two, here we come!  Best to all in house!

3 hours ago, HeatherDes said:

Hi guys!  I just found your group.  I started the Whole30 yesterday and it is my first time.  I am recently divorced and gained quite a bit of weight in the last few years and have no control over sweets.  My stats: 37 years old, 5'7" and 182 lbs. I'd love to lose 30 pounds before my birthday in June.  i hope this is the beginning of a life with more control over my food and increased health and energy.  I am always so tired!  The first day went well.  Today i have a mild headache but not too bad.  I might get sick of eggs every morning so I'm going to have to research for recipes. I thought briefly about quitting coffee at the same time but backed out.  It might serve as a "luxury item" in these first few days. I look forward to reading about everyone's successes and sharing in your struggles as well.  We can do this!

Welcome HeatherDes!!!  I know of your struggles.  I was there in 2012.  Stick with it ... you have the best support right here in this room.  In my experience, life after divorce is amazing.  Hang in there as you navigate the process.

Coffee help please! For the longest time I've pretty much eschewed eating breakfast, with the cream in my coffee supplying my only calories before lunch. Now I can't have cream of course so I'm looking for a non-gross way to add some fat to my coffee. I've tried a couple of kinds of coconut milk; one was apparently intended to be a beverage and had very little fat, so it was very much like chalky water, the other had some chalky water with a huge layer of congealed fat on top. Is there something out there that's roughly emulsified? I really don't want to end up with an oil slick on top of my coffee. 

Failing a reasonable cream substitute, do I need to start bringing some actual food to eat for breakfast? 

Wow Garts Girl, I have to try that tandoori chicken and cauliflower rice. Sounds amazing! Dinner #1 for me was herbed pork chops with roasted brussels sprouts and mushrooms. Enjoying the leftovers on a salad right now.

HeatherDes, I'm excited to hear about your progress! I personally enjoy mixing up how I make eggs for breakfast (egg "muffins" with veggies and sausage, fried eggs over greens and roasted root veggies, scrambled with salmon, tomatoes and capers). But there are plenty on non-egg recipes too! Check out this article: http://whole30.com/2016/01/best-of-whole30-recipes-egg-less-breakfasts/

@jaygloab   coconut milk that stays emulsified usually relies on binders, check the additives in any that comes in a carton.  if you have an immersion stick blender that isa great way to get the creamy and watery parts in the can  emulsified.  don't' try it in the can you need more room!  and it will re separate.

and you do need real food for breakfast

for my progress I started reading my meditation book, I hope to incorporate general mindfulness with my w30

@jaygloab, the program does require you to eat breakfast, they say a full meal within an hour of waking up.  It's hard for me too, I've always been a no breakfast person.  For coffee, I bought coconut cream in a can and left it in the fridge for a day.  This morning, scooped all the congealed cream out of the top of the can into a container to save and put about two teaspoons in my coffee.  It didn't taste nearly as good as half & half, but it was drinkable and it's a healthy source of fat.

I am still home sick today.  Thought I was feeling better enough to do some kitchen prep today but after eating I got really dizzy and faint and now I'm back in bed.  I can't wait till payday Friday so I can buy some of the complaint pre-made products like mayo and ketchup so I don't have to try and make them myself.

I was very happy to discover this morning that Harissa, at least the one we have by Mina, is compliant.  I can smother that stuff on anything that I don't normally like to make it edible :) 

17 hours ago, jaygloab said:

Ugh, I just ate some ice cream without even thinking about it. 

17 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

Hard part tonight was I made Lipton soup for the kids (who also have the stomach flu) with added cream and couldn't taste it to see if it was edible before giving to them.

Yes, just stay with us here jaygloab.  I've had to spit out food I accidentally popped in my mouth (cheese from pizza for kids) - more than once.  And Georgina2, I'm sure the quality of what I'm serving the family when not compliant has declined drastically because I don't taste it... oh well, if it's that bad my family can cook for themselves, haha.

As for the coconut milk-- I went to the Asian market and started reading all the labels.  I picked up a couple brands that contained only coconut and water -- I've tried the Aroy-D so far, and it is delicious and creamy!  (And a great price!)  Before, I was getting my coconut milk at Trader Joe's which now in comparison is horrible. 

23 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

@jaygloab, the program does require you to eat breakfast, they say a full meal within an hour of waking up.  It's hard for me too, I've always been a no breakfast person.  For coffee, I bought coconut cream in a can and left it in the fridge for a day.  This morning, scooped all the congealed cream out of the top of the can into a container to save and put about two teaspoons in my coffee.  It didn't taste nearly as good as half & half, but it was drinkable and it's a healthy source of fat.

I am still home sick today.  Thought I was feeling better enough to do some kitchen prep today but after eating I got really dizzy and faint and now I'm back in bed.  I can't wait till payday Friday so I can buy some of the complaint pre-made products like mayo and ketchup so I don't have to try and make them myself.

I was very happy to discover this morning that Harissa, at least the one we have by Mina, is compliant.  I can smother that stuff on anything that I don't normally like to make it edible :) 

I did use some of the congealed cream in my coffee this morning. I think I'd rather drink it black. I'll check out some other brands of coconut milk, and in fact have purchased shredded coconut (unsweetened, or course :)) to try making my own, but it seems like the separation is unavoidable without some sort of emulsifier, no? 

As to breakfast, I couldn't find in the official rules anything about breakfast. I'm sure I've seen that it's recommended but I couldn't even find that. I may just go with a hard-boiled egg or two in the mornings to replace the fat from the cream. 

It's in the whole 30 book that you should eat breakfast and as you read through the forums you'll find all the moderators recommend a full breakfast. It's your choice of course.

@MaryLu  I meant to answer about emergency meals but forgot.

my number one strategy is to always have frozen green beans and frozen broccoli on hand for veggies we all like

it is always good to have onions and garlic around too. just chop up and start sautéing

dspouse likes spaghetti squash with compliant pesto, add leftover meat

eggs are always around too

we stocked up on compliant precooked sausage, such as aidell's  ( also good with the spaghetti squash, with pesto or tomato sauce)

I try to keep  ground meat on hand for quick burgers

can salmon is a backup, mix with mayo

if you have compliant bacon that perks up a lot of dishes, we have Tessa mae bbq sauce too

I'm hoping to order the Tesamae's w30 ketchup online at the end of the week. Sadly my local health food store doesn't carry that brand and I haven't heard of any other brands with no sugar.

Happy to be done with day two. Still feeling pretty good. A little tired but only because I didn't sleep super great last night. I'm prepared for tomorrow so let's just do this.

I hope day two finds you all well and continuing down the path we all embarked on.

Archived