February 6th begins the new "us"

Henderson Team

Gia Russa makes a good marinara. I don't know how many of the varieties are compliant, but the Tomato & Basil checks out. It was my go-to sauce before Whole30, when I didn't feel like making my own. I was happy to see that it's compliant, especially since I can buy it at the regular grocery store just down the road for me.

Ingredients:

image1-1.jpg

I've got spaghetti squash and meatballs on the menu later this week!  

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to all the new folks, and way to go everyone on crushing week one!

I am also feeling a bit drained from meal preparation, but I know my busy week will be made so much easier from doing it on Sunday. So far, I have prepped:
-Egg muffins with salmon, capers, kale, tomatoes and red onion
-Chicken thighs (eating on salads for lunch)
-Slow cooker pork chops with pineapple
-Baba ghanoush dip and chopped vegetables

I have a "Galentine's Day" brunch at work tomorrow (read: chocolate, pastries, mimosas), so I'm going to bring some scrambled eggs with sundried tomatoes and basil to share, and also enjoy the fruit salad and coffee. I know I'll get some flack for it, but oh well! Hope everyone has a great week!

That sounds hard @SunshineDaydream!  Best of luck and enjoy the heck out of the fruit and coffee.

@Henderson Team glad I could make you laugh.

@Carmen Azcona if you feel up to making it yourself, the marinara recipe in the w30 book is actually really good.  I sadly haven't liked very many recipes from there, but the sauce ones I've tried so far have been good.

Day 8, week 2, here we come.  I may not be enjoying myself very much, but at least I'm figuring some things out about myself and my feelings about food.

Hi all 

Congratulations!!! first week done . I was away on the weekend and eating outside was difficult but I survived! There is almost nothing that we can eat in restaurants, everything has cheese or butter etc.  Friday night in the restaurant I was  the waitress was very nice, I told her what I couldn't  eat and she recommend me to have a seasonal roasted  veggie  salad and add salmon, and the second night we were away from home I ordered  some Grill beef with tomatoes . Lunches were salads removing all the bacon and cheeses from them with oil and vinegar.The more difficult part was not having my glass of wine when everybody was drinking. My husband was very nice and he didn't order a drink either, very nice from him to do that.

Yesterday I made the meals or part of the meals from this week. For Breakfast I did spinach, mushroom and peppers  egg Frittata, cooked some chicken tight meat for salads and also some sausages.Today I will do some crockpot pork for the week too. 

Can some one let me know what kind of smoked salmon doesn't have sugar on it. I know people are buying sockeye salmon from Traders but when I went to buy it and read the ingredients it has brown sugar on it. I love salmon but I can't find one that is compliant, also the ones from Costco have sugar on it.

Have a great week everybody.

IMG_0924.JPG

@mcm Whole Foods has their own brand of cold smoked salmon that comes in light blue packaging called Whole Catch. There are a couple of varieties, but I'm not sure if there's a sockeye option. At least one of them only has three ingredients: salmon, salt, natural hardwood smoke.

Your frittata looks great!

I made it through two tempting situations already today and I am very proud of myself. The first was a breakfast my male colleagues made for the all the ladies to kick off our professional development day. I ate beforehand and just snacked on some fruit salad at the breakfast.

Then, after a training, I went out to lunch with some colleagues and brought my own food. Their food smelled delicious, but I stuck to my turkey, eggs, oranges, pistachios, and avocado. It was a weird mix of food but I couldn't bring anything that I had to heat up so I just made sure to get a balance of carbs, protein and fat. They both complimented me on my willpower and we had a nice lunch chatting, though it was hard to not order something for myself.

I am glad I prepped so much this weekend so I will have a more relaxed week at home. I've been looking ahead on the calendar and next weekend is a three-day weekend. I am excited for the extra prep day!

WTG @Carmen Azcona

@mcm where I live Kroger/QFC has a private selection Atlantic farmed salmon that is smoked without sugar.  often it has a little "No Sugar" sticker on it

my experiment with different eating times and  templates wen very badly today.  though I can sit up and drive now it was iffy for a bit.  One thing that appealed to me about W30 was that I thought I could do it without being incapacitated form thought and action like I am on diets that  let you get really hungry and have blood sugar spikes.  As a caregiver it is a big, even dangerous, problem if I can't function.  Overall W30 has worked great for that but not so much today. 

Hope to get all back on track tomorrow.

Great job, everyone!  I'm plugging along, happy to be settling into better habits.  I don't mind the constant shopping and cooking so much as DOING DISHES ALL the time!  Does anybody have suggestions for great ONE-pot compliant meals that would also appeal to picky kids and husband not quite on board?

I'd rather not have salmon if my only choice was farmed.  They feed the fish soy and corn and food coloring to turn them pink like salmon should be!  It's one thing I just will. Not. Touch.  Not to mention that farmed salmon are fed more antibiotics per pound than any other farmed animal. :(  what a sad state our food system is in. 

http://www.naturalnews.com/037136_food_industry_salmon_artificial_colors.html

On another note how about budget eating on the w30? It's certainly not easy to do. 

3 hours ago, Christine_ said:

Great job, everyone!  I'm plugging along, happy to be settling into better habits.  I don't mind the constant shopping and cooking so much as DOING DISHES ALL the time!  Does anybody have suggestions for great ONE-pot compliant meals that would also appeal to picky kids and husband not quite on board?

Christine, how about chili? Your family could have it over rice. I eat mine without. 

Here are a couple recipes:

https://sweetcsdesigns.com/paleo-taco-skillets-paleo-taco-bowls/

https://www.farmsteadchic.com/whole30-chicken-cacciatore/

She has several other w30 recipes on her site too. 

One pot pulled pork or turkey done in the crockpot.  will still need a side but keep that simple

beef stew?

any plans for taking care of yourself today so you don't feel deprived on Valentines?

I am going to dance class wearing pink, then will buy my hard boiled egg and have a great cup of coffee.  also have a frozen meal  (brisket and veg) to reheat for dinner tonight so no cooking. Kid and I made valentines over weekend. 

Hubby gave me Pellegrino bottled water this morning and said to put a drop of lemon oil in it. Thought that was very romantic of him to think of me and plan today! And the water is extremely refreshing!

I've been reading posts every day in this  for him and just haven't taken the time to write. Awesome job to everyone and thanks for being part of my support group! 

I'm going to barre class tonight, which I missed for a week due to being sick so that's my treat.  Hubby and I already agreed to postpone VD to March or April since we're broke right now anyway.  He brought me coffee with coconut cream in bed, which was nice.

@JenH, what kind of dance class do you take?  Sounds fun!

@Mrs. V, I have no idea how to budget on this diet.  This week we needed to cut expenses so I bought less meat and cheaper cuts (no steak, no roasts) and I didn't need to get many 'special' ingredients, but I only managed to save about $50.  Not enough.   I'd love to hear tips and tricks too.

I'm loving the W30-style Valentine's ideas! Who needs boxed candy and champagne anyway? (OK, those do sound great.)

The fiancee and I are postponing our celebration until this weekend. We decided to get a cabin in one of our favorite places, Asheville, NC. Unlike our typical craft beers and rich meals there, we're packing snacks and foods to cook and have also researched restaurants with compliant dishes. We're hoping to do plenty of hiking as well to get our exercise in.

@OtterMac lemon oil sounds amazing...I might need to find some!

@Georgina2 and @Mrs. V, one of my favorite affordable, one-pot meals is making chicken breasts or thighs in the crockpot with salsa and shredding them for salads. If you like fish, catfish and tilapia usually are inexpensive, at least where I live.

@Georgina2. Budget eating is what I do. There aren't, for me right now at least, any other options. When I say broke, here's  the truth. I have half a tank of gas and I bought veggies today spending $37 hopefully to last me until the middle of next week. But it probably won't. I now have $30 to last ten says. Total. That's it. No other money. And you know what? That's OK!

Thank goodness I'm the only one on the w30 and I can fill the other plates with cheaper more filling items like beans and rice and pasta.  As for me I shop at Aldi or sale items at heb (local grocery store).  When I have a little extra money I stockpile meat when it's on sale. My sister and brother in law gave us a couple hogs they shot so, it's pork. But it's wild and grass fed. Not feed lot pork. 

At Aldi I can get zucchini and yellow squash for 79¢  they say it's for a pound but I've weighed it and it's 2+ lbs normally. And bagged salad is 69¢  back when Christmas was here they had butter on sale for 1.69/lb so I stocked up and put it in the freezer. So. Now I'm making ghee with it. It's not grass fed. But you do the best with what you have. And that's where I am. 

I watch for their weekly sales (they come out on Wednesday) and I stock up on sale items. Canned tomatoes are 49¢ a can. Spinach is 1.49/bag. So. I can't buy organic. And that's OK. We raise our own chickens so I have gmo, soy and corn free eggs daily. And we will be raising meat chickens too to help. I realize not everyone can do this. 

One other place I shop when money is super tight is kroger. Don't know if they have one where you are but they have a clearance section in the produce and everything there is $1. I've stocked up on tons of items there that are perfectly fine. In fact last week I got a head of green cauliflower and two eggplants (in one bag) so it was $2!

@Mrs. V - I shop at Aldi and Kroger too.  Love Aldi.  I found that I can get a lot less of my list there now though than pre-w30.  I use coupons and save $28 on a $100 bill at Kroger on Sunday, woot!  But we have a few big hurdles with budgeting:  

1) My youngest has a corn allergy, so all her school snacks etc have to be corn free.  Granola bars, yogurts, cereals and chips without corn are expensive.  Could she survive, probably be healthier, if she didn't eat that stuff?  Yes.  But she's 12, has OCD and ADHD and has struggled with dietary issues and weight gain (she's extremely underweight) her whole life.  The thought of changing her diet at all terrifies her as she's afraid she'll lose weight.  I do try and bake for my girls as much as possible, to avoid buying treats, but lunch foods are inevitably a big chunk of my budget.  

2) My husband is a food addict.  Would I like this to change?  HELL YES.  I wish he was doing the w30 with me, but you can't make someone else change.  He is constantly buying sweets, he comes home from the store with cakes, cheesecake, a half dozen loaves of bread (he eats about a loaf per day, yuck), and tons of other expensive things.  It just seems to get worse every week, our budget keeps going up and up... I may have to resort to forbidding him from going to the store and doing all the shopping myself, which would be putting more work on me (currently he's unemployed and I work full-time, so he has way more time for shopping and errands).

3) We don't have a freezer- actually there is an unplugged one in our garage but no place to put it in the house since we moved a few months ago and the garage is not insulated so it is not safe to plug it in out there, so I can't stock up food to freeze.

Sorry to vent, none of this has to do with anyone else, I'm just having a hard day.  Hugs.

Girl I get it. Our deep freeze is in our shed. No insulation at all. But it's a must have for us. And my husband loves to stop at the store too. Loves candy and ice cream. Spends money we don't have regularly! 

We have a bread outlet not far from us where loaves of GOOD bread are only 75¢  the same ones at the store are $3 

I buy vegetables at Aldi. And some meat. And coffee. That's it. We don't buy hardly any packaged food. Their organic spaghetti sauce is compliant. And 1.99/jar. I bought some today. 

2 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

3) We don't have a freezer- actually there is an unplugged one in our garage but no place to put it in the house since we moved a few months ago and the garage is not insulated so it is not safe to plug it in out there, so I can't stock up food to freeze.

Sorry to vent, none of this has to do with anyone else, I'm just having a hard day.  Hugs.

Sorry you're having a bad day, Georgina2.  Hang in there.  It's hard when family members eat junk and are not as supportive... that's why we are here for you. 

Our freezer is in the garage with no insulation... I didn't know it mattered.  In fact we have no insulation in our house but live in a somewhat temperate climate.   

Great budget ideas, Mrs. V.!  I would love to grow more of my own food.

15 hours ago, Christine_ said:

My Husband would agree on the dishes... He believes that Whole30 has stock in Cascade!

At this point, more one pot meals would be great.  I did make a Shepard's Pie from the Whole 30 that was really one pot!

I Sautee all my Breakfast and lunches in one Pan. Whatever veggies I want all thrown in one and then meat and just Sautee in some ghee until it's done. For breakfast I do the same but Crack eggs on top and put a lid on it until they're done. One Pan only for breakfast and lunch. That helps a lot. 

@Mrs. V  I am definately an Aldi's girl.  After reading the posts tonight, i had to double check my spaghetti sauce.  I thought it had sugar, and I am so excited it does not because it is my favorite with a little spicy kick... from Aldi's.  It is as good as the ones you pay 4-7 dollars for.   AND THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION ON THE FARM RAISED SALMON.  I had no clue!    

To all, HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!  Sounds like there is a lot of respect for self and each other going on out there.  It is nice to see such commitment.  For the last two days at work, there has been massive amounts of sweets, including Duck Donuts and my favorite homemade chocolate cake from an amazing co-worker. It is hard to believe that I did not even feel the slightest urge.  I am enjoying not having the sugar cravings, and it scares me to think what might happen... even in 30 days. 

And best of all today, I put on a pair of pants that I have not worn in months, and I was able to button and wear them!  I guess I can agree that "it is all about the clothes" as I felt accomplished.  

Tomorrow marks another milestone for all of us "sixers" with many others following close behind. 

Have a great night all, and cheers for tomorrow!

Just looking around at options, and ran across the below guide for Trader Joe's for Whole 30.  What interested me was the pork belly... I have purchased Whole 30 compliant bacon at Whole Foods, and it is quite good, but VERY pricey.  (weekend treat only)  I would be interested in what Trader Joe's has to offer.  

https://lifehealthhq.com/whole30-trader-joes/

Archived