February 6th begins the new "us"

Henderson Team

If I understand my dad and husband the problem is here in Michigan the temperature fluctuates so wildly and dealing with the extreme cold/heat would burn out the freezer. They both tend to be extra cautious, but the wiring at this house isn't great either so it's probably best to play it safe.

My family made pizza for dinner, which smelled so damn good, and when I opened the fridge to get my fish and potatoes there were two huge Cadbury's bars starting at me. So I'm pretty grumpy with them. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope everyone is doing well tonight and weathering the ups and downs as we approach the third-of-the-way mark.

I've been battling major comfort cravings tonight.

I'm having a lupus flare — for me that starts with a familiar cascade of pain and other symptoms. It means I've got a difficult stretch ahead and I don't know how long it will last. It's sort of a double-whammy emotionally, because the pain pulls me down and the dread of what's to come depresses me, too.

I didn't want to go to the kitchen and fix anything. Not even an easy cold-plate of pre-prepped items. I just wanted .... I don't know. A pizza? Something that would make me feel warm and cozy inside and out. (And I know that would be a temporary feeling, followed by bloating, swollen ankles and so much regret. This was definitely a "get a fix" kind of craving.)

But the temptation was intense. Probably the strongest craving yet.

I ended up putting a cold-plate together after all — spicy salmon salad, tomatoes and a  bit of avocado. Afterwards, I cracked open a young Thai coconut and drank the water and ate the flesh.

I should have had more veggies, and I know I allowed that coconut to serve as a bit of a comfort crutch, but I didn't stray with anything non-compliant and my commitment is intact. No pizza here.

Calling tonight hard, but successful.

Hi There - I started Feb 6th as well. Tonight I wanted to treat myself with mashed potatoes. Usually I would use butter and milk but today I just tried it with Ghee. Inedible. So what I was looking forward to as my treat I just had to through out. That left with me with overcooked squash and some scallops and now my stomach is going crazy I think from all the ghee/oil. I also did a hard work out so I was looking forward to a good dinner. I had some almond butter and apples and am calling it a night. Definitely craving chocolate from Vday. Literally had a dream about brownies and mozzerella sticks.

On the bright side I did have a lot of energy today. 20 days to go!

@Christine  is that the right Christine?   a random thought: can you dvide your grocery budget?  basics you all eat, corn free for kid, junk for hub, W30 for you?

do you have good support for corn free food? I recommend Kids with Food Allergies for people who have been corn free for a long time

did have extra energy this morning, no major cravings, though I am considering freezing a homemade cookie I was given for next month.  may be I will just pass it on tomorrow.

It's amazing how everyone is hanging in there in the face of all the challenges. I love reading all the posts.

I too have a husband who loves to food shop and definitely has a sugar addiction. We went along that path together. The scary part is that both of his parents have diabetes and long ago his Dr said it's when, not if, he gets type 2 if he doesn't control his diet.  As I talk about the plan, he gives me a lot of push-back about what he 'can't do.' We've talked about it's not 'can't do' but 'won't' because if it was important enough, he'd commit. It's taken me a long time to decide to do this for myself, so maybe he'll get there one day too.

Tonight's dinner was a big eye-opener in terms of what convience food has done to my family's taste buds. I've long used one brand of frozen meatballs. Tonight I made spaghetti squash, meatballs and sauce (pasta for 2 of the kiddos & the hubby). Youngest loved the meatballs. #2 & the husband didn't like them... because they 'weren't like what we usually have!!' My oldest (who's doing w30 with me) and I were joking before dinner that they wouldn't like them because they weren't processed and THEY TOTALLY DIDN'T LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T THE PROCESSED ONES!!!

The good news is that reaffirms that I need to see this through. I have to get more fresh foods into my family.

I did realize this morning that when the 5:45 alarm went off I was fully awake. I didn't have to push myself to get up. It's been that way for the last few days. 

I'm still tired during the day. I notice it's worst right before I need to eat. I'm concentrating on drinking water and not going for more coffee.

By far the most difficult part is the constant prep and cleaning. It's exhausting in addition to the crazy pace of work and the kids' schedule. 

Today was probably my best day for sticking to 3 meals and no snacking in between. I'm hopeful that I'm getting my portions right at each meal which is getting me through. 

Looking forward to day 10! Keep it going 6'ers!!

Heb,  for those of you who have one near,  carries compliant bacon. Pedersons. And it was a decent price. $5 I think. I haven't opened it yet because I just havent really wanted bacon but my mom got some then went back and bought more. 

Today I'm working on prepping all the food I can in my fridge. Pre chopping everything etc. Then just grab and go when I'm ready for it. Other than that I used to cook my entire week of meals (minus some sides) and 30+ lunches (I was feeding my brother in law and his work buddies) in one morning, once a week. 3 hours or so and my entire weeks meals were done. 

Try meal planning with foods that go together. Cook chicken for dinner tonight and cook enough for tomorrow too. Then just have to heat and add to it. It takes a while at first to get used to thinking like that but once you get the hang of it, it cuts down on the prep time and makes life easier! 

What's for dinner tonight? 

We are officially a THIRD of the way through our Whole30 — congrats everyone!

For dinner tonight, I'm thinking about spicy salmon burgers over greens, perhaps with topped with guacamole and grilled pineapple. We are running low on meat, but I have several cans of salmon to use (Kirkland sockeye). Like @Mrs. V mentioned, I also try to cook extra so I have quick lunch or dinner options for the next few days.

@Eccentrica I hope today is a better day.  I have fibromyalgia and flair ups are no fun.  Good for you for staying strong.

@The Conquista_girls I totally understand with the family feeding issues.  Mine are so picky, especially husband.  I've actually watched him spit out food on more than one occasion if it wasn't exactly to his tastes.  So frustrating.

I'm going to try to get some prep done today too.  I'm not really liking anything in my fridge right now.

Well dang it.  Husband made stir fry tonight.  I have all the w30 rules printed out and taped to the walls in the kitchen but somehow he forgot about soy!  I took one bite of meat and immediately tasted it, asked 'honey, did you use soy sauce?'  He says no, I used soy extract.  UGH, same thing!!!!  Obviously I did not eat any more and I'm not restarting for one accidental bite. Thankfully I had some leftover steak and butternut squash soup in the fridge so I was able to eat right away and didn't have to cook anything.  Since I have so many health issues I kinda figured I may end up having to do a w45 or longer anyway to get results (I've had no nsv's yet) so if I do end up needing to extend it's okay... but still the whole thing is frustrating.  Way more frustrating though is my family seems to be on a chocolate/sugar binge.  They bought Hagen Daaz bars, there were Cadbury's bars in the fridge last night, and Cadbury's eggs and chocolate raisins on the counter this morning.  My favorite dark chocolate shortbread cookies in the cupboards.   I may have gotten a little shrill telling them to put the bleeping chocolate away and stop torturing me!  I kinda want to cry and kinda want to kick people at the same time.

@Georgina2 You just made me laugh and I really needed it!! My MIL just brought over 5 Hershey bars as big as my face!! My coworker got cookies from a sales team (that apparently were very good) and everyone enoted them...very loudly.

I'm so tired today and definitely felt overly irritated by every request or call or issue at work. The worst part was that I knew my reactions were not normal for me but I couldn't stop feeling that way!

I just learned that my Uncle's significant other passed yesterday. We weren't close but I'm still sad for him & my mom. Just added emotion to an already rough day.

Anyway... I told my daughter that I was too tired, that I didn't want to cook tonight. I have plenty of leftovers so we could get away with no cooking for the night. She volunteered to make butternut squash soup. Well, she had trouble peeling it so I agreed to do that. Then she cut one small piece and took off for swim practice. So, there I was, crying uncontrollably while dicing squash and my other 2 are looking at me trying to figure out what is wrong!

I can see why so many quit on day 10!!! But not us - we're staying strong! I agree with you that I will be going beyond w30 because nearly 20 years of bad habits will probably need longer to truly break.

So thank you for sharing. It means so much to know you're not going through something alone, even if our experiences aren't exactly alike. 

Off we go, officially onto the next 1/3 of this journey!

@Georgina2 thank you! I hope you're staying pain free — if not frustration free. I think your family is trying to push all of your buttons at once. Forbidden stir-fry is bad enough, but bringing Hagen Daaz and dark-chocolate shortbread cookies in the house is grounds for violence. Well, it would be here. (Not really. Hmm. Maybe?)

Good luck! Keep on staying strong. I may be right there with you going for W45. With this flare in full swing, I've already been thinking the same thing. We'll see.

@The Conquista_girls I understand those tears. Sometimes there's just no fuel in the tank and you still have to do everything you normally do, plus deal with stresses and grief and twice the chores. *looks at kitchen* That's way more than twice the chores. And then somebody puts a butternut squash in front of you. 

It's just one squash too far!

Let's all stay strong.

Congrats on Day 10, all!

Way to stay strong everyone! It has definitely been hard! 

Yesterday there were sugar cookies in the copy room at work. I stared at them for a good two minutes before picking one up. I had no intention of eating it, but I just held it for a little bit and smelled it. I may have also pretended to eat it. Not my strongest moment but I didn't give in! I didn't eat the cookie, and instead I made my copies and went back to my classroom, sticking with my meal plans.

Today was the first day I stuck to breakfast, lunch, and dinner with no snacks in between! I think I am starting to get the portions and combinations down a little bit better. I also wasn't completely exhausted in the afternoon which I had been earlier this week and all last week so that was a bonus! I am hoping my energy levels raise more. It is still hard to get out of bed in the morning. I always want to go back to sleep.

Here's some Thursday  happy fluffy butts.  Lol. 

Way to stay strong everyone!  My mom and niece have both made decisions which made them have to start all over again.  I'm still holding on here. 

On a different note, has anyone watched the documentary called 'that sugar film'? 

PicsArt_1429044943751.jpg

Love seeing all the stories about conquering challenges! The Trader Joe's whole30 compliant list made shopping a lot easier and many of my meals more exciting!

Yesterday, I got a pretty bad headache after lunch and it stayed with me thru the day. Anyone else been experience this? I typically don't get headaches that aren't hangover related ;)

I nearly caved on the chocolate last night, I thought, 'well I've already had that bite of soy stir fry I might as well eat some chocolate and start over tomorrow'.  But I didn't.  It totally sucked and I was miserable all night but I didn't give in.

I also began on Feb 6th.  I have been feeling pretty good up until I got the flu this week.  I am feeling pretty lousy, and still sticking with it despite wanting comfort food.  Any advice would be great.

Also, I am relating to those of you who do not have family members also doing this.  My husband said he would, but when he found out what he would have to give up, he changed his mind.  My biggest issue is staying hydrated.  I always drank decaf coffee w/ half and half or decaf tea w/ truvia.  I don't like either one black, and I don't like water.  I have been drinking water with lemon in it, but that is getting old, so I don't drink anything.  I know I need to drink, any suggestions?

7 minutes ago, Shelly1005 said:

Hey @Shelly1005!  I also don't like to drink just plain water (unless I'm just really thirsty).  I've been drinking a ton of La Croix (it's compliant and has great flavors).  Have you tried that yet?  Sparkling water of any kind always helps even if it is just with lemon.  Also if you haven't tried kombucha, it's great as well but I would drink it sparingly and make sure there is no added sugar on the label as some brands do add that in.

Kombucha is fermented tea, which is fine for most people unless you are like me and are allergic to tea and buy some on the recommendation of a friend for 'gut health' and don't read the label and don't know it's made from tea and get really, really sick from drinking it.... yeah, I still have resentment against kombucha a couple years later.  It's not marketed or labeled well as to what it really is.

La Croix is just Canadian bubbly water with flavors.  I don't know how prevalent it is in the rest of the US but here in Michigan it's everywhere, and lots of stores including Aldi and Kroger have knock-off versions that are a lot cheaper.  I go through about 3 cases a week!

Archived