February 6th begins the new "us"

Henderson Team

I too started 2/6, but I am just now joining this group. This is my second round of Whole30. I did the last one in October after turning 50 over the summer. I felt great about it, and I really enjoyed the forum with those that started that day, along with the Facebook group they also started. Coming off of that round, I  really did not leave enough time for reintroduction before Thanksgiving, and then holiday events started up. So, I came out of the holidays nearly back to square one. I started to start again on January 30. I joined one of the forums again, and they also started a Facebook group that I am still part of. However, because I had been so successful and it had become so second nature by the end of the first 30 days, I had forgotten how much planning was key to the beginning, and I almost immediately failed. So, I spent the next week planning to start again on 2/6, which, as I said, I did. This time my husband is joining me, and he is not a happy camper. We have two kids still at home (plus two at college) who are not on the program, so we have non-compliant food around, and he is tortured. I have spent my life "dieting," so I am much better at the deprivation part, and I really find Whole30 to be less of a challenge than many plans. Not sure he will make it. Some of the things that got me through the first round were my Instant Pot, with the Whole30 Instant Pot Facebook page and Nom Nom Paleo website; Tessemae's, which they now carry in some of our mainstream grocery stores (including the compliant ketchup); Barefoot provisions orders (for snacks); Pre-made Paleo orders (for emergency meals); Simple Grocer orders (for compliant bacon, sausage, ham); Anylist (for meal planning/recipe collection/shopping list).  These forums are great, and I look forward to the remainder of the 30 days! 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mcm said:

Hi all, today I feel  a little better from my headaches, so far so good, still compliant, I have an egg and spinach frittata for breakfast and spinach and kale salad with eggs and some raw sunflower seeds and avocado, dressing olive oil and apple cider vinegar  for lunch.

This is the first weekend on the diet and  I will be traveling, not so great idea right?  but on the other hand this is real life not being able to be at your house all the time.Specially if you work full time like I do. I will be eating restaurant, any advice ?

have a great weekend everybody.

I travel too, but my travel is local enough to pack a cooler and food.  (3-4 hours and a couple of overnights)   I was successful this week planning, preparing and packing my meals.  I heated the up on the hotel microwave.  I will be traveling this next week too, and plan on the same.  I have not ventured to restaurants... and if you are flying, carrying on your cooler of food- may not work :)  

good luck!~

9 hours ago, Garts Girl said:

Will be thinking about you!! I'm dreading this weekend. First w30 weekend and lots of things going on. Ugh. Hang in there and I will too

I too am dreading the weekend.  I came in from traveling last night and a horrible 1.5 hour traffic jam and the first thing I thought of was a glass of red wine when I hit the door... I pored a La Croax in it's place.  We can do this!!!!

Definitely experienced the "kill all the things" today. I work as a teacher and usually have a long line of patience but I could not deal with this one student today. I sent him outside for a few minutes then went to talk about his behavior with him, which was horrendous by the way. When he started blaming it on other people I was just like, "I'm done, stay out here."

I can usually talk and work out what is going on but I could not deal with it today and I left him outside for the rest of the period. On the flip side, he was very well behaved in my Reading class later so maybe leaving him outside was a good thing. 

Treated myself to In n Out tonight which is compliant if you don't get the cheese, sauce, or bun. It's still really good protein-style (wrapped in lettuce) though I was a bit envious of my boyfriend's burgers. This week has been dreadfully long. The students are testing and we have a block schedule so it's basically been chaos. I'm looking forward to a lot of sleep this weekend.

It's after midnight on the East Coast, so we're officially 1/6th of the way through!  woot, woot!

Just made my menu and shopping list for the next seven days.  I wasn't very enthusiastic about it but I'm trying to make it simpler and cheaper and hopefully I'll enjoy things a bit more.

I worked on my menu and grocery list last night too. I definitely need to spend less money on groceries this week so I'm trying to be smart with my menu options. I bought the cookbook and have started a whole30 board on Pinterest with some good ideas. I can see that my biggest struggle is going to be breakfast. This morning I diced up a sweet potato and cooked it in coconut oil to have with eggs. It was really tasty and definitely more filling than just eggs with vegetables. My question is: is that too much like sweet potato fries?  I've been having trouble making it to lunch and would love to have more breakfasts like this but I'm not sure if it's legal. I appreciate input from this knowledgeable group! 

Hi MaryLu! Your sweet potato breakfast sounds delicious and perfectly compliant. It would be great to mix in some other colorful vegetables though. I often put my breakfast on a bed of arugula to get my greens in. Here are a few other breakfast recipes I've been enjoying:

-Egg muffins. I use this as a loose template and mix up the proteins and vegetables: http://paleomg.com/breakfast-on-the-go-sausage-egg-cups/

-Roasted root vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, onions - all spiced) with Aidell's chicken apple sausage, over greens, topped with egg and/or avocado

-Last night's leftovers: Remember, breakfast can be anything, even if it's not your standard morning food. Leftover soup, protein, vegetables, salad.

@Georgina2 That stomach bug you talked about at the beginning of the week is sweeping my house! Definitely makes it more difficult.

I don't travel for work and sometimes work from home. Being home is definitely easier for food prep, but thoughts of non-compliant foods (kept for the hubby & kids) do plague me. Much easier not to focus on food when I'm in the office. 

I need to get better with planning this weekend. I've stayed compliant but had 2 very late dinners because I wasn't prepped. I'm also trying to stick to the cook once, eat (at least) twice. Spaghetti squash + meat sauce + egg was a very good breakfast. Sautéed grated leftover baked potato, sausage and fresh onion with a big bunch of frozen organic spinach & kale thrown in + egg was delicious this morning. I don't have the wipe board on my fridge yet but I still love that idea and hope to pick one up this weekend.

Sunday will be my biggest challenge as we are jam packed with stuff from 9 - 6. I have 1/2 my breakfast I made today left over for tomorrow, need to figure out a packed lunch & probably a slow-cooker meal for dinner.

Thanks everyone for all they share... challenges and ideas!! Here we go, tomorrow starts week 2!

@The Conquista_girls, I hope you all feel better soon!  My eldest daughter still has the bug and it really sucks.  She hasn't been eating well so I made her pancakes this morning, talk about torture.  It is hard seeing the family eat all the non-compliant goodies.  Good luck with your Sunday.

I've been in the kitchen for 5 hours today and all I have to show for it is a pot of butternut squash soup, pancakes for the kids, and an organized fridge. Not only does this plan require so much more time cooking, it generates so many dishes! I've already ran the dishwasher and washed puts and pans once, now I need to do them again. And it's almost time to cook dinner. Don't mind me I'm just exhausted and cranky.

Yes. It does generate dishes. However it's worth it! And be thankful. We don't have a dishwasher!  But thats ok because these are the eggs I collected today. Aren't they gorgeous?  Oh, and usually I can hold 7 eggs in one hand, however, I find that a little much for my breakfast serving of eggs!  :D

20170211_161937.jpg

those sure look like happy eggs.  do you have chickens @Mrs. V ?

made it through a potluck.  one of the easier ones as it was for kid's theater group so not foodie.  many allergies to manage so I had lots of fruit to choose from beside my fruit salad.  I took a container of chicken in tahini sauce for myself.  interestingly no one brought veggies tray.  the kids had Domino's which I wouldn't eat on a dare even when not W30. there was a tempting quinoa  salad there.

dishes - we can tell we are doing W30 when we have no clean Tupperware left - but thankful for leftovers

let's prep and find some other enjoyable activities this weekend, I am going to make Valentines

Check out Mel Joulwan's website. She has excellent idea related to Whole 30 meal planning and prep for a week. She breaks it all down.

I am so elated to report that I survived happy hour last night at my favorite dive bar. It was so hard and I nearly cried as I all of a sudden realized I was having my very own pitty party... Can't eat, can't drink. But what I failed to do was eat before I went. Once others realized I wasn't snacking on anything besides celery they started asking questions. We all promptly left and went to a restaurant where I had options. 

Overall, the night was fine and I'm so proud of myself that I stayed on course.

DEEP SIGH OF RELIEF

Day six is going fine and we're headed out to another customer dinner. But, I picked the location (my hus is pretty awesome) and the customers didn't seem to care. A perfect little farm to table in downtown Portland. Ahhh

Hang in the sixers (Feb 6) and everyone else too

Kudos to everyone for surviving some tempting situations! I haven't gotten there yet, but Monday morning the male staff is cooking breakfast for the ladies as a Valentine's Day treat to kick off our in-service day and I know it is going to be hard saying no. I'm not sure if I will be able to eat anything, so I am bringing food for myself just in case.

Today was a cooking day! I made a beef and plantain casserole for lunch this week, pizza egg bites (which are basically egg muffins with pizza toppings and tomato sauce), sweet potato mash (a mix by itself and a mix with applesauce and cinnamon), and I'm going to make some chicken marinade later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Getting myself to the store this morning was really hard. I definitely wanted to stay in bed and sleep but a girl's got to eat, and I knew that if I didn't prep for the week today, I might not have a chance to finish up everything tomorrow and then I would have no food for the week, and would probably quit. Work is a constant exhaustion and there is no way I could handle prepping during the work week.

I started my first Whole30 on the 6th. I've been lurking on the forums a bit since then, but only just joined today. So, hello, fellow 6th-ers!

My stats: I'm female, significantly overweight (though trying not to focus on numbers pre- or post-W30 — much more interested in gaining strength, fitness and overall health, since I think the numbers will follow anyway), and I have a few of chronic health issues.

I decided to do Whole30 because I really needed a reboot. Last year I cleaned up my diet, got active and saw huge benefits. Then a number of illness-related events threw me for a loop at the end of the summer, and I let my good habits slip away.

I want to get back on track and develop new habits.

I've put in a lot of work this week, as we all have. Shop+prep+cook x infinity. But I enjoy cooking and getting creative in the kitchen, and I've already discovered a few meals that are going to stay in the rotation long after this is over — stuff that even my non-Whole30 husband loves.

Yesterday was my most challenging day so far. I woke up very moody (almost panicky, actually), felt hungry after eating plenty, then went to the state fair where I had to convince my moody-hungry self that I didn't want any fried/sugared/cheesy whatevers. So I had a plain smoked turkey leg and a bottle of water — and a sense of pride, when it was all over.

Feeling much better today.

Day seven is about over, and the first compliant weekend is over!  Whew!  When I think back at last week, and look at the refrigerator, I cannot believe that we used all the food that was prepped, and how many onions, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, cilantro, parsley and ghee we used.  We went today to get more ghee, and our Costco has discontinued it, and TJ was out!  Finally found it, but i think the next batch we are going to make!

Prep today was EXHAUSTING.  I defiantly need a sharper knife.  I have a blister on my index finger!  

Meals are planned and protein salad is made.  I chose a tuna base with wasabi mayonnaise... the hubbie made some amazing harissa sauce/paste for Shakshuka breakfast that he is making us tomorrow.  He is really enjoying the food, and is a real big help in the kitchen.  He also made the "dump ranch" dressing... and is now pealing eggs.   I think he will turn into the weekly planner as he has been reading the cookbook and planning what he wants to eat next!

We left overs to start the week.  We had the Jicama Street Tacos last night, and it is enough for 3 additional meals.  Froze 2 for future weeks and will have tacos again tomorrow.  Tonight I made a double batch of Shepard's Pie... cooked one and froze one for week 4!   

Congratulations to all... We can do this!

So anyone thinking about finding Primal Mayo- don't bother.  That shit is disgusting!  I ordered it on Amazon and what a waste of $11.

Still prepping- I've just got thai salad and deviled eggs to go.

21 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

So anyone thinking about finding Primal Mayo- don't bother.  That shit is disgusting!  I ordered it on Amazon and what a waste of $11.

Still prepping- I've just got thai salad and deviled eggs to go.

@Georgina2 You made me laugh, and thanks for the review!  Thai Salad sounds good... just the name!

Oh no! I tried making my own avocado-based mayonnaise last time I did W30 and it was also pretty awful. What a bummer that a branded one stinks.

Another product to watch out for is the 365 brand marinara at whole foods. I bought some excited to find a compliant sauce and it's super bland and watery. It's pretty awful.

Archived