Day 20 and sick

fanelli

I have been sick for the last 3 days. It feels like some sort of stomach bug, but I'm not sure. Headaches, fatigue, weakness, trouble being vertical without feeling nauseous. Really trying to figure out how to stick to whole30 while sick. What really sounds good is toast with butter, but I'm trying really hard not to give in. The problem is that I am feeling really weak (haven't really eaten anything for the last three days minus some applesauce and banana). Added trouble- I am breastfeeding and feel I should be getting some calories down if possible. Any suggestions? Will this throw off my whole30 experience? I only have 10 days left, so I hate to quit, but I'm in a tough spot. Please send some encouragement.

• Moderators

Eating toast and butter isn't going to actually make you better, it's what sounds good mainly because it's what you're used to having when you don't feel well.

Try baking a sweet potato, sprinkle on cinnamon and salt and add ghee or coconut oil. Or a regular baked potato. Maybe you could try scrambled eggs. Broth is good, or soup -- a blended soup that you could sip on might help. Egg drop soup would get you more protein. Plain grilled or baked chicken if you think something bland would be good.

For the nausea, peppermint or ginger tea may help.

A lot of the fatigue and weakness is being made worse by the fact that you're not eating. Do try to eat, and if you're dehydrated (always a possibility if you're vomiting or have diarrhea), drink lots of water, and definitely salt whatever food you do eat to help with electrolyte balance. If you are dehydrated and can stomach coconut water, sipping on it might help some (but I personally cannot stand the stuff, it has a weird texture, like it's thicker than water somehow, and I'm not sure I'd be able to keep it down if I was already nauseous).

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will try and see if I can get something down tomorrow. I had wondered about a baked potato. Tried eggs and a little broth yesterday and my stomach did not like it, but I will try again tomorrow. I really appreciate your ideas to keep me going. Hate to quit now when I am just getting to where I might see more results. (and I agree with you about coconut water, not my favorite at all).

Archived