Day 22- struggling greatly with my body weight

Well, I am not one to jump on forums but have been reading through and no one seems to be experiencing what I am going through. I feel very alone.

I am on day 22. I have been 99% compliant because I drank a ginger drink from sprouts that I thought didn't have anything to find afterwards it had Stevie extract. Anyways all that to say I do feel I have been very good at staying on plan.

No here is my struggle. I am very angry and frustrated and just at a lose. I have struggled with my body image and weight for a very long time. In the past year and a half I had made huge progress and was getting my weight down and food relationship was at its best. I was feeling so sexy, which is maybe a first in my life, happy and just full of life. I then heard from family about whole 30. I thought that sounds great I am on the right track this should help even more....right!!! I mean this is cutting out everything how could it possible go wrong!! I mean this would have to be the healthiest I have ever been why not...right!!!

I have not weighted myself, like the program says, but since the second week my stomach has gotten larger!! It makes me want to cry and I have. I can't wear my clothes. I can't stand to look at myself. It is crushing my spirit. I don't feel I have been binging... But I do t understand how I could be gaining weight. So then it makes me think I must be overeating and binging in some form. This is EXTREMELY frustrating because I didn't necessarily start whole 30 to lose weight but I definitely didn't do while 30 to gain!!! I am so angry at myself because I feel with weight and body the only person I could be angry at is myself somehow I got myself in this place and it has caught me off guard. I am just at a lose and feel so alone. I am also so ready to just call this whole 30 quits get back on all my low calorie and calorie counting diets to lose this weight I have gained because at least that had worked the past year plus. I have tried digestion supplements because my stomach was so quickly distorted and I thought bloated but with it not going away and feeling more and more firm I just don't know what else to do but to realize I must be gaining weight. 

I am in such a state I thought I would never be in again I am just feeling every kind of emotion and it makes me very sad.

Thank you if you actually read this and I pray your whole 30 has gone better then mine because I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Thanks again

I don't know if I'm gaining weight, but I definitely don't feel like I'm losing. I'm on day 26. 

I'm 100% compliant but I've read that if you're still experiencing bloat, to try taking out eggs and nuts. I'm going to do that for a few days and see if anything improves. Even a compliant food could still irritate our body. 

Also, might consider FODMAP? That will be my next step. That takes out some more specific foods that could be hard to digest and might be another step to consider. 

Other than that, I don't know. Hopefully a moderator will come along. It might help to post a few days worth of your meals, portion sizes, water intake, stress, sleep, etc. That usually helps to see any sort of trends.

• Moderators

Please post a few days of what you've been eating including portion sizes, water intake, specific fats, protein and veggies, meal timing etc... it is not possible for us to tell you what might be going on without information on what you've been eating.

I will say that it is not likely that you have gained weight...

Thank you! I will try the no eggs and no nuts. I am not sure what that leaves me lol. I have heard of FODMAP. But was super overwhelmed when reading about it and didn't really understand what to do. 

I will gather my meal plans. I am cooking for a family of four adults and so we have a new dinner each night. I have pulled them from the Whole 30 book and some online but compliant. 

Thank you again for responding. I am just having such a hard time.

Breakfast Examples:

Apple with almond butter and left overs

1-2 Eggs with spinach and bell peppers avocado salsa

On the go apple almond butter and Lara bar

Lunch:

Lunch meat with guac and salad plantain chips with salsa

2 eggs with broccoli slaw

Leftovers

Dinner examples from last week:

From the cook book:

Chicken stir fry

Chili plus salad

From online:

Hotdog in potatoes

Omlett loaded with veggies

Steak and potatoes green beans

Buffalo chicken in sweet potato and avocado and mayo

Extras:

Cranberry pistachio pops

Cacao powder fruit dip and fruit

Apple butter with cashews

Banana chews

Nuts usually cashews or pistachio

Now I don't usually have the extras as extras they I have with my meal and not all of them in one day usually...it has been hard for me 

I had broken the pattern of running to food but seeing me in such a ugly state it has come back to me wanting to run to food to feel better I know it doesn't satisfy but anyways as far as details I am not sure if I could give you amounts of the meals for potion sizes. I have tried to break that intense measuring and counting past diets had me on. I want to get to know my signals I guess. I do know I make the recipes as is which usually is for 2 people with some left overs and I don't change it and I am making it for a family of 4 adults. I know to try to fill my plate with half veggies and such. 

Meal timing is off. With My family works nights so we go to sleep around 12 or 1. Then up around 9 for breakfast. Lunch around 1. Dinner around 6.  I am drinking 2-3 bottles of water and then a can or two of la Croix and then 4-5 glasses of tea but I am sure should be drinking more.

Ok please let me know what more you need. I really want to figure this out and will do whatever is needed.

Thank you both again for your time and help!!

I'm no expert but it seems like your meals are small. It's easy to think smaller is better because that's what we've been conditioned to think. 

If eggs are you only protein source, it's recommended to have however many eggs can fit in your hand without falling (usually 3-4+). 

Start with a good good portion of lean protein, a portion of healthy fat (I'll add some extra olive oil or coconut oil on top of things or dip my veggies in mayo or guac or some other homemade healthy fat), and 1-3 cups of veggies. 

It it looks like you're almost there but just a little light. 

That is my initial reaction.  

I know I have conditioned myself to think eat smaller amounts and it has been big for me to change that frame of thinking. It is hard for me to think of eatting more. I feel full and I don't experience much hunger signals now but I think my bloating is affecting that because I eat and feel full to then a couple hours later find myself thinking of food and having a hard time figuring out my signals because my stomach still looks like it is full too. I am game to try anything though to help with this. Thank you so much ...one for just reaching out and taking the time...and two giving me some advice and actions.

11 hours ago, AdventureReady said:

Apple with almond butter and left overs

1-2 Eggs with spinach and bell peppers avocado salsa

On the go apple almond butter and Lara bar

Lunch:

Lunch meat with guac and salad plantain chips with salsa

2 eggs with broccoli slaw

Leftovers

Dinner examples from last week:

From the cook book:

Chicken stir fry

Chili plus salad

From online:

Hotdog in potatoes

Omlett loaded with veggies

Steak and potatoes green beans

Buffalo chicken in sweet potato and avocado and mayo

Extras:

Cranberry pistachio pops

Cacao powder fruit dip and fruit

Apple butter with cashews

Banana chews

Nuts usually cashews or pistachio

First off, congratulations on the weight loss! High five AdventureReady! What a tremendous achievement. I can totally understand why you're afraid of backsliding and losing the ground you've gained.  Please stop beating yourself up. I have a few suggestions and observations - meant in the most supportive spirit.

Whole 30 is not strictly a weight loss program. Sure lots of people lose weight as a side effect of a happier, more harmonious body but it feels like you're missing out on one of the key pieces about whole 30 > listening to your body and creating a new relationship with food and understanding what it takes to nourish yourself.

From the meals you've posted, it looks like you've replaced a lot of snacks or snack type food with whole 30 compliant foods. Let's try nixing that. Perhaps try to base your day on 3 template meals, spaced 4-5 hours apart with no nuts and minimal fruit. Which translates to 1-2 palms of protein, 2-4 cups of dense veg, 1-2 thumbfuls of healthy fat. If you're getting hungry before 4-5 hours then try increasing your protein or adding a bit more starchy carb. Do *not* snack unless it's part of pre/post WO.

Lastly, hang in there.  I *really* hope you do and I'm rooting for you.

Archived