Things going well, but a few questions

Brassfrog

I started 1/18/2017 so I'm on day five. Unfortunately on day two I came down with a mini-flu that I am just recovering from. I have sleep apnea corrected with a CPAP but this illness caused havoc with my sleep  

I have been on Atkins before so I'm somewhat acquainted with high protein, high fat diets. Having finished It Starts With Food, a lot of Whole30 and many forum entries, I'm pretty familiar with the program.

Knowing I was going to start Whole30 over a week before I started, I started examining food labels in both my pantry and on store shelves and marking those items that are compliant. Luckily I live very close to Whole Foods, TJs, Earth Fair, Fresh Market and Harris Teeter and in a town with many tailgate (farmers) markets.

I'm male, 70, married and an excellent cook. For example, today I cooked a 7 pound pork roast in my pressure cooker. The meat is base stock for whatever recipe I'm making and the stock from the cooking will be the basis for a great soup. I have a Nespresso machine and make and drink great coffee, always black. I never drink coffee after noon.

Presently I'm having two problems with the program.

The first is sleep. I go to bed when I'm tired and yawning, usually 10 or 11 PM. I wake up at 1:00 or 2:00, wide awake. I usually then stay up 1 or 2 hours reading or surfing, then try to sleep again, usually successfully. But sometimes not. I can be up and down as many as three times a night. The problem is, is this a side effect of Whole30 or is it a result of the flu? If the result of Whole30, how long will it continue?

Second is snacking. Every evening, after dinner, I get the urge to snack. Before Whole30 I would stop in the kitchen for a bowl of ice cream, a small cup of wasabi almonds or some cheese. I'm not hungry. I realize that this is just a habit, an urge, but I still have a lot of trouble resisting. As it stands now I eat a piece of fruit, but tonight I almost scarfed down a small box of raisins. If I can't conquer this urge I'm going to have to come up with some compliant snacks.

comments and/or advice is welcome.

Hello Brassfrog and welcome to the forums and to Whole30!

For advice about snacking, take a look at this thread from a few days ago. And if it's just habit, you may want to employ some distraction strategies. 

As far as interrupted sleep, mine can get pretty fragmented for various reasons, including stress. I've found listening to audiobooks to be a great strategy, both to put me to sleep and to put me back to sleep if I wake up. What's nice about them is the room is dark and there's no blue electronics light which can disrupt sleep. 

I will say I had a couple of restless nights early on in my current Whole30, but I should probably attribute that to the stress of a new semester and the audiobook helped me get right back to sleep. 

@ArtFossilThanks for the link to the snacking topic. There's some applicable advice there for me. I suspect it is just habit as when I contemplate eating compliant foods the urge goes away. I'll hang in there for another 25 days.

as far as sleep, as my flu is getting better, I think I'll see sleep improvements. My doctor has said that it's normal to wake up in the middle of the night (at least for us old folk) and that I should use it productively to write or journal. Time will tell, but then, again, I've only got another 25 days.

again, thanks.

HELP - Before I joined this forum I spent quite a bit of time looking through it. One post I saw was a recipe for mayonnaise using two whole eggs and a stick blender. I have just about pulled what little remains hair I have trying to find that recipe. I have exhausted every search term (and I used to make my living researching databases using search terms). I am at wits end on this. Every time I search all I find is other people talking about a recipe they made, but never any recipes. Help! TIA 

@evaq, @Eva Q, @OkieGina

Thanks both of you for your suggestions. Dunno why system can't find evaq, and don't think Eva Q is the same person.

first, this is not the recipe that I am seeking. The one I saw used two whole eggs.

Second, almost made a real rookie mistake. I ASSUMED that all Epic bars are compliant. Thank heavens the TJs store clerk, that I was talking to about whole30, noticed that the BISON Epic bar has added sugar. Sheesh!

Day 6, soldiering on.

I have a good pressure cooker, a Kuhn-Rikon to be exact, and here's what I'm using it for to make Whole30 meals. Yesterday I took a 7 pound pork shoulder roast (after trimming off 1lb of thick fat) cut into manageable pieces, added it plus a 24oz can of crushed tomatoes, two chopped jalapeños, a 12oz can of Rotel and one cup of water. This pressure cooker keep all steam inside so it requires very little fluid. I cooked it for 35minutes on the highest setting.

After it cooled I took out the fork-tender pork and reserved it for later meals. I then poured the approximately 2 quarts of tomato-pork stock into two containers to cool and separate.

Today I took one of the containers of stock and scraped off the congealed fat. I understand that I need fats in my diet but I prefer to not have pork fat as one of them. The broth had congealed because of its high content of connective tissues in the meat. 

I heated the broth, added back some of the pork, shredded carrots, celery and as much bagged shredded kale as the soup pot will hold. It's going to make a good soup for a starter or a snack. And of course I have the other container of broth plus all the cooked pork.

22 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I did a google search using 'home made mayo two eggs' and came up with many recipes.

This one seems good, just change the oil to a compliant one.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/159507/whole-egg-mayonnaise/

@SugarcubeODThanks for this recipe. This is similar but calls for TWO CUPS of oil, which is not what the original one I saw called for. But I have now seen enough recipes that I can probably duplicate it myself. Thanks.

Day 13. Getting tired of eggs for breakfast.  Not having any trouble sticking with the program but still want to snack at night while watching TV.

Made mayo using one egg, 1 1/4 cup LIGHT olive oil, 1/2 t dry mustard, salt and lemon. Came out perfect!

Made the chocolate chili. Delicious smells filled the house. Wife even asked if she had some. Had some on a sweet potato with steamed green beans. Really delicious!

Have just about finished off the pressure cooked pork roast. Made a number of dishes using that. I'll have to get another one soon.

My daughter (who is also on whole30) texted to ask if I had seen any non-scale improvements. I couldn't see any that I have noticed, but, now that I think about it, pants may be fitting a little looser. 

Thus far, this is really no big deal so far, not a whole lot different from what I was eating before except eliminating anything with sugar. AMAZED at how many things have added sugar. 

Biggest thing that has changed is no snacking. That is HUGE.

Thanks @jmcbn Something tells me that my postings are in the wrong section to receive widespread readership, not that I am concerned about it.

But, rereading what I have written above, I have noticed one BIG difference since starting Whole30, I'm using far fewer painkillers. I was taking 2 Aleve a night and 4-6 Tylenol or ibuprofen during the day for "aches & pains" that I thought were just part of old age. In the last few days I've not needed that many and now am down to about 2 Tylenol ever other day for arthritis in my foot, and that seems to be lessened also. This is a real good thing.

Archived