Food Combination Sensitivity

nikki6

Hi W30 community, 

Curious if you have any thoughts or tips on food combination sensitivities and testing for this with reintroduction.

My food background (impetus for question) is I was gluten free for 2 years about 4 years ago. I used to get terrible stomach aches unexplainably but its not the typical celiac story in that gluten did not seem to be the main cause. I never really ate sugar (even in coffee), not a fan of sweets, or most fruits for that matter. I also was not a big dairy consumer except for the occasional wine with cheese. 

I did notice these terrible stomach pains which were only alleviated by laying down horizontally, would come up when I would have some kind of starch sugar combination (usually high starch and high sugar-- so think margarita wth something pretty wheat heavy). Ive never been able to pin point the exact cause but these symptoms are really intensely painful. Going gluten free really did help and I saw benefits after about 6-8 weeks (higher metabolism, no pain, less bloating, more energy, better mood, etc). 

Last night after finishing the W30 I had 1.5 hot toddies and some french fries (happened to be the exact sugar/starch issue I've suspected). The reintroduction being alcohol first, which maybe wasn't the right way to go. After about 15 minutes of completing the meal and sitting around with friends I started to feel as if I were going to black out. I started loosing my hearing, vision, body temperature increased, and I slowly started to feel a little nauseous. I started chugging water thinking maybe I'm really dehydrated (the fries were pretty salty) and eventually I stepped outside and promptly vomited twice very instantly. Immediately after the whole ordeal (about 1 min) I was completely fine and felt instantly better. 

Ive read on this forum that vomiting after W30 is not common. I am a big fan of the diet and do not think this experience means the whole diet is in any way suspect. But I'm so confused now about how to figure out what caused that and how to tell if its a combination thing as I've been suspecting or not. Ive had fries independently and that was fine. I did not drink much alcohol, so it just seemed strange (I was in no way intoxicated). 

Thanks!

Nikki

I don't metabolize alcohol and have severe reactions like that after even half a drink. I used to think I was allergic but I think now it's a blood sugar issue. Alcohol, especially if mixed with sugar and starchy/sweet food can really mess it up. You've probably been eating lower carb and your body can't handle it as well anymore. After my 2nd whole 30 I ate a big icing covered cupcake on day 31 and had what felt like seizures all night.

I waited some time to hear back from the restaurant. The only oil used was canola although the fries were fried in canola oil. The Hot Toddy had alcohol and honey. Thanks for all your help/advice/thoughts!!

Needless to say i have not had alcohol or sugar since this happened. 

Archived