Start date 1/23/17

marnold

Starting my Whole30 tomorrow. Feeling a little nervous as I've done it before and felt amazing, but went off track before the end of 30 days. I have to eat clean in order to feel well, live my best life and take care of my family. I'm looking forward to tomorrow snd beginning again with the support of this community. Thanks so much!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marnold,

I too am starting Whole30 tomorrow. A coworker is a week or so into it and told me about it last week.  I did some research and read the book yesterday and liked what I saw.  I went to Whole Paycheck (aka Whole Foods) today and stocked up on plan staples and will begin my journey tomorrow :).  Best of Luck to you.

It's my first official day as well. Over the last week I have given up the sugar, wheat, dairy and legumes. Incidentally, my bloating, insomnia, irregularity, and blood sugar spikes and drops have improved already! Of course I made a few mistakes, eating liverwurst and I had a bit of mashed potatoes in my mouth before it even dawned on me that there were milk and butter in them....Strange the habits we form. I began to realize that although I am not an emotional eater, (that is I don't tend to run to food when I am upset. Just the opposite really) I do have an emotional attachment to food. I like my coffee with half and half and my tacos dripping with sour cream. I love all things bread, chewy bagels and dinner rolls, crackers and you name it, I'll eat it. I do have some texture issues and bread and cheese solves that for me. I can avoid mushy or slimy things by filling up on them! In addition, if I do have to eat something like a cherry tomato or cooked carrot, I can always eat them with crackers, cheese or bread to offset the texture.....Clearly I have a problem.

In any case, all week I told myself and everyone else that I hadn't officially started yet. I really didn't feel any pressure and I did very well following the plan, for the most part. I gave up my half and half and breakfast wraps and crackers with soup and so on, throughout the week. I tried my best to replace the nutritional value of the good food I was eating while trying not to create anything that made me feel like I was consuming a favorite food. I did make some homemade flax, chia and almond meal crackers, which I used sparingly but only as a way to choke down guacamole and eggs. I love the taste of it but that's exactly the kind of texture I can't...I just can't.....I am not planning to eat them with soup because I recognize that I would be using them as a comfort food if I do that. I wanted to set myself up for success!

This morning, and only because I named it my official start date, I started getting nervous about failure and commitment. SO, I came on here and signed up. I want to wish you all luck, will-power and good health on this journey. 

I'm starting today too. I've actually been eating all the things I shouldn't be eating in the past few days. I'm not telling people right and left. I've been doing a very similar program since last February 39 (Always Hungry) but have been lapsing lately so I decided to reboot. I say it's similar because it focuses on fat and whole foods but it does allow legumes and dairy so this will definitely be an adjustment. 

Good luck, everybody!

Hello everyone, today was my first day of my first Whole30! Excited to be doing this and very excited to have found this thread! I read It Starts With Food and Whole 30; today I've gone back to both books multiple times. And it's only day 1, but I've gone through SO MANY veggies. This is going to be interesting...

Anyway, good luck everyone and I hope to see you around.

Hope everyone made it through day 1. I had a headache in the afternoon  and was REALLY hungry for dinner (will add an egg to my lunch salad today and have a slightly later lunch) . Dinner was huge! (cooked 1 lb of ground beef and ate half). Went to bed with a headache and woke up with one so I finally took an advil and it's gone.

I thought I was going to follow the 7-day menu in the book and did so yesterday. But then I thought: who is going to eat the other half of the frittata? So I had that for breakfast this a.m. instead of beef/spag. squash/tom. sauce. 

Day 2 of the Whole30- Well that was interesting....

So this is day two for me and so far it has gone pretty well. I realized late last night that I MUST add eggs back in because although I wasn't hungry yesterday, I got hungry last night and had bad cravings. I ate the beef that went into the fajitas I love so much, but I didn't like it. I always LOVE it! As it turns out, I guess what I LOVED was cheese and sour cream and the bite and rubbery tug of the tortilla as I ate it, not so much the meat....

Good, I learned something.

So, I looked in the freezer and behold, my farmer's market chorizo was in there and dat- da-da!! It contained no sugar! This was surely good news for me because I have about four lbs of it left. It isn't my favorite sausage by any means, but it'll do a lot. I sauteed some random veggies and made an egg bake. Then I was like, what to do with this extra chorizo?....So I stayed up entirely too late and made mini muffin cups with potatoes, chorizo and eggs. I just sauteed a couple of potatoes in the chorizo, dumped them in the muffin pan and poured some egg over top. They were great. It was all great. I had it for breakfast so far and I feel much better today already. 

I think I ate too many nuts yesterday. Had a stomach ache. But it could have been the coconut because it was the first time I had ever eaten coconut in any bulk. 

www.clearlyiamDisturbed.com

I also started yesterday, so far so good.  I do have a headache today and I'd love to take a nap!  My main focus in doing this is to hopefully rid my body of annoying aches and pains, losing weight would definitely be welcome too.  I made mayo and ranch dressing last night, delicious

I started on Sunday the 22nd and would love to follow along with you guys.  I had a bad headache Day 2 and another headache yesterday but it wasn't as bad.  Definitely dealing with some food boredom already so I'm looking for recipes for the upcoming weekend.  Are any of you working out along with this program?  A few days a week I work out first thing and I'm trying to come up with something quick/easy to eat pre workout.  Any suggestions?

Hi gang!  How is everyone doing.  I really struggled with day 1 and 2.  But day 3 was a snap.  I even went to the movies and ate dried fruit and a hard boiled egg, instead of popcorn.  (Huge win, I adore popcorn)  

I am having horrible joint pain, and I can't decide if its my rheumatoid arthritis or just the diet changes.  

Welcome to you Awarner!   

Would love to hear how everyone is doing so far!

Hope everyone made it through day 1. I had a headache in the afternoon  and was REALLY hungry for dinner (will add an egg to my lunch salad today and have a slightly later lunch) . Dinner was huge! (cooked 1 lb of ground beef and ate half). Went to bed with a headache and woke up with one so I finally took an advil and it's gone.

I thought I was going to follow the 7-day menu in the book and did so yesterday. But then I thought: who is going to eat the other half of the frittata? So I had that for breakfast this a.m. instead of beef/spag. squash/tom. sauce. 

My husband and I also started Monday. I am doing good. He is having a harder time. He is a picky eater and doesn't really like eggs! I have not got that issue!

Yesterday, day 3 was the worst day so far. I ached all over like I had the flu. Today has been good so far, it seems like my energy level is rising it a bit. I have not had the emotional distress that the daily email prepared me for, but I am assuming it will happen sometime.

Has anyone else notice extra phlegm in their throat?

As far as the headache goes do you think it might be from caffeine withdrawl?  

Welcome Cindy!  I too am having that crazy body pain, I suffer from three autoimmune conditions so I am thinking this will improve after I  detox some more.  

Today eating wise was much easier!

I hope all is well and everyone is doing great!

I found my people! :)

I hope everyone's hanging in there. It's Day 5 and I have entered a serious "suck" stage. Yesterday I was exhausted and took naps. This morning I feel hungover and have significant sniffling, some coughing, body aches. Wow. Like a truck ran over me in my sleep! But I am fully compliant.

Today I am having:

Breakfast - black coffee, asparagus + egg frittata I made earlier this week from It Starts With Food book

Lunch - leftover citrus chicken, spinach and walnut salad

Dinner - I'm having guests for dinner and am cooking scallops and brussel sprouts plus something else (maybe more spinach salad?) and for me a coconut milk + chia seed + kiwi pudding. My guests will probably have a small dish of ice cream. 

I may eat an Epic turkey snack and an apple with almond butter if I need a snack. I will see how I feel.

Have a great day everyone!

OMG, I had a dream last night (just like the Daily 30 said) that I ate something noncompliant and then I spent the rest of the dream trying to justify not going back to day 1. I need to remember the dream if I ever am tempted to cheat!!!

Welcome, KNB, glad you finally found us!

Cindy 0, now that you mention it...phlegm! Could we all just have colds?

2 minutes ago, Guadopt1997 said:

phlegm! Could we all just have colds?

A moderator recommended making sure I have enough good fat and starchy veggies in my day. I'm pretty good with getting enough healthy fats, but the starchy vegetable suggestion made me realize I don't have enough of these! I don't like sweet potatoes and yams (which are the big go-to's for starch) but I like regular potatoes. The moderator also added rhutabaga, turnips, beets, and plaintains to this list and said to add a fistful each day. Hope this helps my sister and brother snifflers!

Welcome KNB, I too entered a serious "suck" stage for Day 4/5, luckily my husband who is not doing Whole30 but is being really supportive. talked me through it.  I was getting really sick of eating the same food and had to shake things up.  I ended up getting conflicting information about a chicken sausage that I bought, ate, and then read it wasn't compliant but on the flip side everything I'm reading this morning says that it is compliant.  Ugh! I'm still not 100% sure but I'm pushing forward and not going to let it drive me crazy.  I've been feeling some body achiness as well - hopefully a hot bath will help with some of that. 

Even though I started my program on a Sunday I am a little nervous about the weekend, that is when I tend to really treat myself - I typically eat pretty clean during the week and then the weekends I give...a lot snacks with my little man, pizza for dinner, cereal for breakfast, etc.  Looking forward to cooking up some new healthy recipes which I hope helps to get me through the weekend without too many cravings. 

I just added in some sweet potato to my day yesterday, I'm not usually a fan but it really wasn't too bad something I think I'll definitely try to incorporate more of going forward. 

Week one is almost behind us...we got this!!

Thanks awarner!  I appreciate the sympathy!  I remember reading in It's About the Food that the amount of "suck" I feel is in proportion to the lack of quality in my former eating habits, so I guess the good news here is that this Whole30 clean-up is really doing me some good!

I'm with you on pizza!  I remind myself that I'm converting to a Whole30 and post-Whole30 lifestyle so that once in awhile I can have a slice of pizza and know that I am not killing myself with it. And also to be able to have it only once in a while, not every week!  I'm interested in the increase in self-control effect this re-balancing seems to have on people.

Archived