Start date 1/23/17

marnold

That's really great news, Pinky!

Here's something I'm wondering about. I think the template is really kind of hard to follow because you might havea protein and a vegetable from the recipes in the book but they might each have all the fat for the meal. I would really rather not think about it and just make sure I stick with Whole 30 ingredients. I wasn't that keen on the 7-day menu...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guadopt,  I am using the site real plans, mainly for shopping lists.  I usually just wing it with prep and use the plan for ideas.  Tonight I made roast chicken, a family fave but I didn't add the fat per the recipe.  I had olives instead when I ate.  I have never added fat when I roast a whole chicken.  I do use a ton of spices though.  I don't have energy to follow recipes for every meal.  

I can't believe its been a week for me.  

Cheers.

Happy day 8 - week 2 start! Good luck out there folks. Remember the food highway has all kinds of hazards to negotiate, but we CAN do this!

I am putting exercise back into my plan this week. Today it will be adding in walking more and making sure I get my 10000 steps. I will also be doing gentle yoga when I get home from work - since I spent yesterday prepping food for the week I have time to fit that into my day.

Stay focused on how amazing you are starting to feel (or how amazing you hope to feel).

Happy Day 8.

Are others feeling good now? I woke up feeling really quite good and it made me wonder if I've done something wrong because until today, I have truly felt awful. Is anyone else having this experience? 

Yes KNB, I am feeling better. I definitely have more energy.  

I made this yummy veggie mix last night.  I roasted yellow squash and sweet potato, then sauteed onions and added spinach to cook down.  I mixed it with mashed cauliflower last night.  That was super good.  Then today, I mixed it in with scrambled eggs. Oh my word it was delicious!  I am definitely making more today!

From today's Daily 30:

• Your energy is ramping up, and becoming more consistent over the course of your day.
  • You’re falling asleep easier, and sleeping longer and more soundly.
  • You’re recovering from your exercise or sport faster.
  • Symptoms like allergies, skin issues, digestive distress, and stress are gradually improving.
  • Mood swings, a short attention span, and crankiness are starting to be a thing of the past.
  • You’re strangely…happy.

I do feel strangely happy. BUT last night I could not fall asleep for hours. I was still up at 2 for a 6:30 wake time. I'm exhausted. 

Made the salmon cakes. Beware not to take all the liquid out of the salmon because they came out super dry. 

13 hours ago, pinkyt177 said:

I do use a ton of spices though.  I don't have energy to follow recipes for every meal.  

To be honest, I've never roasted a whole chicken before. We have this really great Peruvian chicken place right nearby. Of course I can't have it right now since I don't know what spices they use...so, could you share what spices you put on your chicken? Thanks! Also, did I read somewhere that were not supposed to eat the skin?

Good Morning all!

I am feeling pretty good. A little tired, but that could be because I stayed up til 10p and was up at 4:45a.  Pretty proud that I actually got a meal plan written out for the week. Last week I kind of winged it, which led to frustration by the end of the week. Lesson learned. 

Thanks for the advice Guadopt! Salmon cakes are on the menu for this week. 

One thing that is hard for me.....eating guac without chips. So any advice on alternatives would be appreciated!!  

1 hour ago, Guadopt1997 said:

To be honest, I've never roasted a whole chicken before. We have this really great Peruvian chicken place right nearby. Of course I can't have it right now since I don't know what spices they use...so, could you share what spices you put on your chicken? Thanks! Also, did I read somewhere that were not supposed to eat the skin?

Firstly, I leave the skin intact I discard it after or I make chicken chips with it.  I stuff the carcass with garlic carrots and celery.  I liberally cover the chicken with salt and pepper then a lighter coating of tumeric, paprika, poultry seasoning and a bit of garlic powder.  The salt amount is critical, when you think you have enough add more.  It breaks down the meat. Ten minutes before its done I squeeze lemon juice on top.  (the spices are crusted by this time).  To cook the skin, i put in on a sheet tray and let it broil about 15 minutes, all of the fat renders out, this can be the best part.  My grandma taught me the skin trick years ago, its sensational, and way healthier than pork rinds.

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

Good Morning all!

I am feeling pretty good. A little tired, but that could be because I stayed up til 10p and was up at 4:45a.  Pretty proud that I actually got a meal plan written out for the week. Last week I kind of winged it, which led to frustration by the end of the week. Lesson learned. 

One thing that is hard for me.....eating guac without chips. So any advice on alternatives would be appreciated!!  

I like to dip red bell peppers in guac or eat it on my main.  Esp, chicken or grilled fish.  My kid likes to eat it on celery, and carrot sticks.  

8 hours ago, Jackson said:

Good Morning all!

Plantain chips!! These are from trader joes

IMG_2861.JPG

20 minutes ago, Akdre said:

Plantain chips!! These are from trader joes

IMG_2861.JPG

Sorry, Akdre but commercial chips are NOT allowed on a Whole30. Take a look at the Can I have? article. http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Chips: Not if they’re commercially prepared and/or deep fried

While we recognize that potatoes and other veggies are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason, we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)

Well guys, I screwed up tonight.  I was going out to eat with my family.  I planned to go to restaurant A, knew what I was eating etc. .  Apparently, restaurant A closed down yesterday so we end at restaurant C for Chilis.  I ordered an undressed salad with no cheese or croutons ( I can eat a salad with only salt), a plain steak and a baked potato, guess what? They don't have baked potato.  So, I ordered mashed with no butter.  Totally proud of myself.  An hour and a half later I am jonesing for sugar, so I eat a hard boiled egg and olives.  An hour after that, I am doubled over with stomach pain.  Then I think, oh crap milk in mashed potatoes.   So, I will be starting over day 1 tomorrow.  But, I would like to still stick around here if thats ok.   

Kicking myself.  But, I am on a journey not a race so no big deal.  

9 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Sorry, Akdre but commercial chips are NOT allowed on a Whole30. Take a look at the Can I have? article. http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

I didn't realize that "chips" were not considered W30 approved, even if they are roasted and not fried. Chips are not a "food with no brakes" for me, these included. I used them as crackers when I ate tuna salad and paired the meal with baby carrots so it covered all my basis. 

I understand the idea behind their reasoning, but because I have no issue stopping with 1 serving, I'm going to call it a wash. (I've eaten tuna salad with the plantain chips 2x in the past 9 days, it is more of a convenience thing than a craving satisfyer)

thanks for the info though :)

10 hours ago, pinkyt177 said:

Kicking myself.  But, I am on a journey not a race so no big deal.  

Restaurants are tricky and stressful, I find. Not only is there the confusion about what I can eat based on how the food is prepared and cooked, but there are the additional stresses of managing the server who may or may not be patient with me, and also the guests I am eating with. I ate out the other night but ended up eating practically nothing for dinner because the menu was very small and nothing could be cooked differently than the way it was described on the menu. I had about 2 ounces of chicken, that was it.  It was pretty miserable. Hope my story helps you feel more sane. 

I had my first food dream last night. I had a huge peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Half way through it i realized it was non-compliant and finished it any way. Then I just said, "Guess I have to start over tomorrow". I woke up in a panic thinking I would actually have to start over. Luckily it was just a dream! 

How's day 9 going?  I'm going through a mental battle today!!  Physically, I feel fine, I'm not hungry and have more energy.  Mentally I'm questioning why I wanted to do this.  I got groceries yesterday and am completely ready for the week, thanks to Real Plans, but it's hard to overcome the psychological triggers for snacking!  What's keeping you all on track?  

Not sure what's keeping me on track. I didn't really consider eating anything off program though on my way home from work I thought about the donuts I like in our cafeteria and how I could get one in the a.m. and then I was like...oh no I can't! I think I had a bit too much fruit today because we had a breakfast at work. I brought deviled eggs with avocado instead of mayo. They were really good. No one else actually made anything, except for home-made granola. And then there was fruit!

A couple of times this last few days I've had protein and fruit but no veggies. Just by circumstance.

Only 3 weeks to go!

7 hours ago, ktmamarn said:

hard to overcome the psychological triggers for snacking!  What's keeping you all on track?  

Today is the first time I've had a mental battle with the food part of Whole30 because I had no energy until today so I wasn't thinking about anything! But tonight I had some cravings and kept reminding myself that cravings don't last. They will go away. I just have to distract myself.

I am back on track and quite honestly how I felt last night is enough to keep me on track.  While my mistake was not intentional I was miserable.  I made garlic chicken tonight which included a pan sauce thickened with arrowroot flour and ghee roux.  It was really tasty.  

I am here for the long haul.  I have three autoimmune diseases and over 100 pounds I would like to lose.  

Hi peeps! I started whole30 on Jan 25 so I'm on day 8, just behind you. I feel so much better, that will be my motivation to continue. My dr took me off dairy, grains and sugar and I realized I should just do whole30. Big wins for me so far were day 5. Lunch at a medieval fair - while everyone else was eating junky fried fair food I had a smoked turkey leg and a La Croix. Dinner out - had a steak, broccoli and plain sweet potato. And didn't feel like I was missing anything!!

Archived