Organic canned pumpkin and Boar's Head Turkey?

heatherdarbs

Not sure what you are doing with the pumpkin, but just check the label and if it's just pumpkin (maybe they put in citric acid also?) is fine. Smoothies are discouraged as foods are more likely to evoke the proper responses if chewed. You need to check the label for sugar, honey or any other sweetner and white wine (weird that wine is a common addition, but it often is to encourage browning of the meat) in the boards head. Don't trust anyone to tell you it's "clean" because "clean" is not always Whole30 approved.

OH; never mind the Boar's Head - I found this (for those who may want to know) and it's good enought for me to avoid the product:

Surely Boar's Head is a good choice, right?

The Boar's Head website says, “We are proud to say that our meats and cheeses contain no fillers, gluten, artificial colors, flavors or trans fat. We wouldn't put anything in our products that you wouldn't put on your own table.â€

Here's what their pdf guide says:

• Raised without the use of antibiotics or hormones

• No nitrate or nitrite added

• Gluten free

• No MSG added

• Vegetarian grain fed

Too bad. The first four look good, then they bombed out on that last one.

I found no ingredients listed so I had to call to find out if they used High Fructose Corn Syrup in their lunch meats.

They asked: “Are you allergic to it?†I said, “Yes, everyone is actually.†Apparently it's not in their lunchmeat but it is in a few of their other products.

I thought I knew the answer to whether or not their meats had MSG, based on the pdf info above, but thought I'd ask just in case. Good thing I did, she said it is added to a few of their lunchmeats!

I asked, “But it says on your site that your products have no MSG added!â€

Her reply: “Well, it's not in most of our products, but it is in a handful.â€

“But that's so misleading, ‘No MSG added' sounds like none at all.â€

“Well I'm sorry about that, as I said, there is added MSG in a handful of our products as a flavor enhancer, but most do not have the added MSG.â€

Seriously.

Not sure what you are doing with the pumpkin, but just check the label and if it's just pumpkin (maybe they put in citric acid also?) is fine. Smoothies are discouraged as foods are more likely to evoke the proper responses if chewed. You need to check the label for sugar, honey or any other sweetner and white wine (weird that wine is a common addition, but it often is to encourage browning of the meat) in the boards head. Don't trust anyone to tell you it's "clean" because "clean" is not always Whole30 approved.

The pumpkin is only pumpkin, but since it comes in a can I thought it best to avoid. I've noticed that I don't digest raw veggies well at all, so I figured a smoothie would address that.

Wine? Weird! Good to know; thank you....

The grain fed point isn't so much an issue for turkey or chicken. While they generally forage on worms and other insects for meat, they do eat grains and such. I would save the boar's head for when you are done with a W30 and don't have any better options. I would definitely ask about caragenaan as even Applegate adds that to some deli meat.

The pumpkin is only pumpkin, but since it comes in a can I thought it best to avoid. I've noticed that I don't digest raw veggies well at all, so I figured a smoothie would address that.

Wine? Weird! Good to know; thank you....

No, canned pumpkin is fine. Not all of us want to chop up a pumpkin to be able to eat it. :) Canned tomatoes (with no added sugar or other weird things) is also fine. Eating cooked veggies is perfectly okay, so maybe you will lay off raw veggies for now. You may find out that situation will be better after your Whole30 healing.

• Moderators

Most deli meats are too processed to be a good fit during a Whole30.

I cooked a can of pumpkin puree with 4 chopped gala apples, salt, cinnamon, Chinese five spice powder, and cayenne pepper the other night for about 30 minutes over medium heat. I think my can was just pumpkin puree and salt, but I wouldn't worry about citric acid. The stuff was awesome.

I cooked a can of pumpkin puree with 4 chopped gala apples, salt, cinnamon, Chinese five spice powder, and cayenne pepper the other night for about 30 minutes over medium heat. I think my can was just pumpkin puree and salt, but I wouldn't worry about citric acid. The stuff was awesome.

Well, that's certainly nothing I could have come up with! I'm really just now learning/liking to cook...I was burnt toast queen once upon a time; transitioned to better foods, but always opted for raw, since I had no clue what I was doing (I didn't even know what a ramekin was). I'll have to venture and try that – thanks!

No, canned pumpkin is fine. Not all of us want to chop up a pumpkin to be able to eat it. :) Canned tomatoes (with no added sugar or other weird things) is also fine. Eating cooked veggies is perfectly okay, so maybe you will lay off raw veggies for now. You may find out that situation will be better after your Whole30 healing.

I hope I can handle them in time; I love them raw!

The grain fed point isn't so much an issue for turkey or chicken. While they generally forage on worms and other insects for meat, they do eat grains and such. I would save the boar's head for when you are done with a W30 and don't have any better options. I would definitely ask about caragenaan as even Applegate adds that to some deli meat.

Great to know about the grain fed. I was knocking myself out trying to find chicken/eggs/turkey that wasn't; phew.

This sounds like a great side for the Chinese 5 spice ribs in my crockpot at the moment! Thanks! :D

Sounds yummy for a cool night!

there is a brand Apple-Gate that makes a turkey and roast beef w/out all the junk... it contains no sugar either. I had found a few brands w/out nitrates and all the other scary ingredients but still had added sugar. Just do read all the different packages b/c some of the turkey is honey roasted.. no good. Pricey but it does go on sale. I had it with the egg wraps I made and avacado. yummy..

there is a brand Apple-Gate that makes a turkey and roast beef w/out all the junk... it contains no sugar either. I had found a few brands w/out nitrates and all the other scary ingredients but still had added sugar. Just do read all the different packages b/c some of the turkey is honey roasted.. no good. Pricey but it does go on sale. I had it with the egg wraps I made and avacado. yummy..

Yes, I found this the other day! You're right though; tiny package for a huge cost - geez! Boar's Head was expensive, too. Maybe I'll try to stay away altogether. I'd rather overspend on Match green tea J

Yes, I found this the other day! You're right though; tiny package for a huge cost - geez! Boar's Head was expensive, too. Maybe I'll try to stay away altogether. I'd rather overspend on Match green tea J

It's the easiest thing in the world to cook your own turkey breast and roast beef to use for those times you want sliced meats. Your house will smell wonderful too.

It's the easiest thing in the world to cook your own turkey breast and roast beef to use for those times you want sliced meats. Your house will smell wonderful too.

I bought a giant turkey breast at the Farmer's Market this past weekend. I actually just looked up how to cook it and for some reason, we have a thermometer! Now, for a giant knife to cut it; that might be an issue...you would not believe how old I am with this lack of cooking knowledge. My hubby still loves me, so all is well :)

I'm sure that aroma will be awesome!

• 1 year later...

Archived