KensingtonC's FIRST Whole30 Log

KensingtonC

DAY 1 JAN 23 2017 - Here we go!!!

What an exciting place to be! I am thrilled to have found Whole30 and even more excited to begin this journey. I stumbled onto Whole30 via a blogger, several months ago. I thought it a little silly at first; and I will be honest, I didn't understand the point. But that one exposure planted the seed, and as the days and weeks went by I realized that I do have a lot of issues that are probably food-related, and that it's high time I addressed the most modifiable factor: my nutrition. I've been exercising regularly and I feel great, and much more fit than I had been, but I know that "abs are made in the kitchen." :-) I bought It Starts With Food, read it cover to cover over the course of two nights, and then bought Whole 30 and haven't looked back. Over the past three weeks I have been slowly cutting out sugar and transitioning over to the plant and meat-based foods that Whole30 preaches about; and already I notice a difference.

I also have 3 young children (1, 3, 5) and it is important that I role model good eating habits to them.

STATS DAY 1 JAN 23 2017:

• Height: 5'8.5"
  • Weight: 148#
  • Body fat %: 30%
  • Waist circumference:

FOOD:

• Breakfast: Coffee w/compliant almond milk; 3 scrambled eggs; 5 cherry tomatoes; 6oz raspberries
  • Lunch: Shredded chicken w/Italian seasoning; roasted red potatoes; roasted tomatoes
  • Dinner: Chicken w/TJ's Curry Sauce, red bell peppers, onion & tomatoes; baked russet potato
  • Snacks: Dried unsweetened mango; roasted salted cashews

MOOD:

Optimistic, but feeling tired today after the weekend.

MOVE:

I don't work out on Mondays; so, nothing today! Just relaxing.

SLEEP:

Woke up at 6:15; aiming for bed by 10.

CHALLENGES:

DAY 1 CONTINUED, JAN 23 2017

Well, lesson learned: no editing previous posts! I'm going to need to start posting my day at the END of the day in order to capture everything that happened...that will be good discipline for me.

FOOD:

• Breakfast: Coffee w/compliant almond milk (2 cups); scrambled eggs (3) made w/EVOO; cherry tomatoes (5); raspberries (6oz)
  • Lunch: Baked chicken breast w/basil, tomatoes and onion; compliant bacon (2 pieces); roasted red potatoes; roasted tomatoes
  • Dinner: Chicken w/TJ's Curry Sauce, red bell peppers, onion & tomatoes; baked russet potato
  • Snacks: Dried unsweetened mango; roasted salted cashews

MOOD:

Optimistic, hopeful but feeling tired today after the weekend. Also, it's interesting to note how "clean" my body feels when not eating my normal foods; I was driving to pick up my daughter at preschool and I just felt lighter in general and like I was eating to fuel, not treat an emotion. I need to remember this when the tough times hit!! Also, I fear I have a slight headache coming on.

MOVE:

SLEEP:

CHALLENGES:

DAY 1 CONTINUE, JAN 23 2017

Well, I really am learning a lot today.

Note to self: Very tired this afternoon; when the baby and the 3 year old took their naps, I took one as well for about 30 minutes. Woke up foggy but that only lasted a couple of minutes. I made a decaf coffee with heated full-fat coconut milk and a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg; SO GOOD! Tasted like a latte! I wasn't trying to replicate anything, but rather I wanted a warm creamy drink this afternoon and just added about 3 oz of the decaf coffee to my heated coconut milk.

I will complete the Day 1 final tally tonight before bed. I am looking forward to dinner though; curry simmer sauce with chicken and veggies. Picture of my lunch attached, just for the heck of it!

lunch_jan_23_2017.JPG

FINAL DAY 1 TALLY, JAN 23 2017

FOOD:

• Breakfast: Coffee w/compliant almond milk (2 cups); scrambled eggs (3) made w/EVOO; cherry tomatoes (5); raspberries (6oz)
  • Lunch: Baked chicken breast w/basil, tomatoes and onion; compliant bacon (2 pieces); roasted red potatoes; roasted tomatoes
  • Dinner: Chicken w/TJ's Curry Sauce, red bell peppers, onion & tomatoes; compliant bacon (2 pieces); roasted red potatoes
  • Snacks: Dried unsweetened mango; decaf coffee w/4 oz full-fat coconut milk, cinnamon & nutmeg

MOOD:

Optimistic, hopeful but feeling tired today after the weekend. Also, it's interesting to note how "clean" my body feels when not eating my normal foods; I was driving to pick up my daughter at preschool and I just felt lighter in general and like I was eating to fuel, not treat an emotion. I need to remember this when the tough times hit!! Also, I fear I have a slight headache coming on.

Later in the day today I was really tired and napped for about 30 minutes. Then around dinnertime I perked up again.

MOVE:

SLEEP:

CHALLENGES:
I definitely used the mango, while compliant technically, as a replacement for sweets. I was craving sweets and went for the dried fruit. Next time I will wait the 5 minutes out and distract myself. Was also difficult to watch my husband eat his curry chicken with naan, and not have a bite! He's supportive but also not participating in Whole30 so...might be a bit difficult.

I'M PROUD OF:

Not eating the naan tonight; registering for this forum and actually posting; making clarified butter

DAY 2 JAN 24 2017

Rough start to the day; our 12 month old woke up at 3am with a temperature of 103.6 and didn't get back to sleep until 5 or so, which means I was also up for those 2 hours! Waking up today was tough, and staying awake was even harder! I took a quick nap while the younger two slept. Our 5 year old also had to stay home from school because HE woke up with a temp of 101.7. This has been the month of sicknesses for sure!!

FOOD:

• Breakfast: Coffee w/coconut milk (1 cup); Larabar (coconut cream pie)
  • Lunch: Shredded chicken w/Italian herbs & spices; compliant bacon (2 pieces); roasted red potatoes; roasted tomatoes; Granny Smith apple
  • Dinner:
  • Snacks: Dried unsweetened mango

MOOD:

Tired! Always tired. At least I didn't work today.

MOVE:

My exercise schedule is: Wednesday kickboxing, Friday tabata or HIIT, Saturday strength, +/- Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Today is an off day because of the sicknesses in our house.

SLEEP:

Woke up at 7:00 but this is late for me.

CHALLENGES:
All the sick people clinging to me!!

I'M PROUD OF:

FINAL TALLY DAY 2 JAN 24 2017

Rough start to the day; our 12 month old woke up at 3am with a temperature of 103.6 and didn't get back to sleep until 5 or so, which means I was also up for those 2 hours! Waking up today was tough, and staying awake was even harder! I took a quick nap while the younger two slept. Our 5 year old also had to stay home from school because HE woke up with a temp of 101.7. This has been the month of sicknesses for sure!!

FOOD:

• Breakfast: Coffee w/coconut milk (1 cup); Larabar (coconut cream pie)
  • Lunch: Shredded chicken w/Italian herbs & spices; compliant bacon (2 pieces); roasted red potatoes; roasted tomatoes; Granny Smith apple
  • Dinner: Greek salad (romaine, red & green bell peppers, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, basil, toasted pine nuts, homemade red wine vinaigrette) w/seared chicken; handful of blueberries
  • Snacks: Dried unsweetened mango; a few cashews; white potatoes w/pepper & salt

MOOD:

Tired! Always tired. At least I didn't work today.

MOVE:

My exercise schedule is: Wednesday kickboxing, Friday tabata or HIIT, Saturday strength, +/- Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Today is an off day because of the sicknesses in our house.

SLEEP:

Woke up at 7:00 but this is late for me.

CHALLENGES:
All the sick people clinging to me!! Also made our entire salad from scratch including the dressing, chicken, etc. It was SO GOOD! It's the recipe from the Whole30 book and a red wine vinaigrette recipe from Pinterest. I meant to take a picture but forgot! Definitely would make again, and I feel light but not hungry now, post-dinner. Nice.

I'M PROUD OF:

Getting through this day with patience and a smile. We definitely had our moments...

UPDATE, and STARTING OVER :-(

Well, I worked a lot this week, so I didn't get a chance to post on days 3 & 4, but I was compliant and they went well! Then I got sick, and had a glass of wine, and that was that. How I felt and my plan for starting over:

HOW I FELT:

Days 1-2 felt good! It's clear that the key to Whole30 is the prep, no question. Last Sunday I made so much food and it worked really well. Our meals this week - pot roast, Greek salad, chicken - were wonderful and filling. I'm excited to do this again next week. Days 3 and 4 I felt like I was getting the flu - turns out I was getting sick! Head cold, sinus infection, GI bug (all of which the kids had earlier in the week). I also skipped a workout yesterday, but made it to mid-week kickboxing and am going to workout this morning as well.

STARTING OVER PLAN:

Day 1 will be Monday, January 30. This gives me the opportunity to prep on Sunday and hopefully I won't be quite so sick anymore. I think, though, that even going through the first 4 days of Whole30 taught me a lot in terms of what is important (prepping!) and how to manage food cravings, and how hungry I am during the day/how much food I need. I'm really looking forward to starting over to be honest!

DAY 1 (TAKE 2), JAN 30 2017

I woke up still sick, but slightly better, and actually excited to start Whole 30 again! I realized that last week I hadn't been following the meal template very well; I had a LaraBar for breakfast 3 days in a row which, while easy, doesn't meet the palm-sized protein followed by veggies template. So this week I'm going to try and really follow it! I also found myself looking forward to feeling so "light" again.

FOOD:

• Breakfast: Coffee w/almond milk (2 cups); eggs (3); bacon (3 slices); tomatoes
  • Lunch:
  • Dinner:
  • Snacks

MOOD:

Sick, tired, but getting better

MOVE:

Mondays are my day off from exercise, though yesterday I did a 40 minute strength workout at Eupraxia.

SLEEP:

Woke up at 6:30; though I took a Benadryl last night because I'm so stuffy.

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

FEB 1 2017:

Woke up feeling good, no headache, not sick anymore woohoo!! Welcome to February. I'm logging what I THINK I will eat today, this morning, and will update tonight. It's helpful for me from the accountability standpoint to begin my day with logging something. I do wish they'd allow editing of your own posts throughout time.

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/nutpods creamer (1 cup); bacon (3 slices); red bell pepper; blueberries
  • Meal 2: Baked chicken w/diced tomatoes, green bell pepper & onion; roasted red potatoes; cashews
  • Meal 3: Meatballs w/compliant tomato sauce; roasted veggies; roasted red potatoes; olives
  • Snack: Shaved chicken in buffalo sauce; apple; dried unsweetened mango; La Croix

MOOD:

MOVE:

Kickboxing today!

SLEEP:

Slept from 10 to 6 and woke up feeling really good.

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

FEB 1 2017:

Woke up feeling good, no headache, not sick anymore woohoo!! Welcome to February. I'm logging what I THINK I will eat today, this morning, and will update tonight. It's helpful for me from the accountability standpoint to begin my day with logging something. I do wish they'd allow editing of your own posts throughout time.

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/nutpods creamer (3 cup[!!]); bacon (3 slices); blueberries - NO VEGGIES
  • Meal 2: Baked chicken w/diced tomatoes, green bell pepper & onion (5 oz); roasted red potatoes; red bell pepper strips
  • Meal 3: Meatballs w/basil, compliant tomato sauce & diced tomatoes; olives
  • Snack: Shaved chicken in buffalo sauce; green juice

MOOD:

Good mood, high energy all day

MOVE:

Kickboxing today!

SLEEP:

Slept from 10 to 6 and woke up feeling really good.

CHALLENGES:

Didn't eat any veggies for breakfast, I find this difficult! Also I'm not usually in the mood for eggs in the morning and struggle with choking them down. Meat is much more palatable for me.

I'M PROUD OF:

Watched my husband eat a Mediterranean panini that smelled wonderful but really had no craving to indulge in the same.

FEB 2 2017:

Happy Groundhog day! Woke up feeling good again.

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods creamer (2 cup[!!]); bacon (3 slices); grape tomatoes
  • Meal 2: Shaved chicken; roasted red potatoes; red bell pepper, carrots & tomatoes; olives
  • Meal 3: Beef brisket cooked in the crockpot w/carrots, celery & potatoes
  • Snack: Cashews; apple

MOOD:

Good mood so far!

MOVE:

?

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6 and woke up feeling really good.

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

FEB 2 2017:

Happy Groundhog day! Woke up feeling good again.

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods creamer (2 cup[!!]); bacon (3 slices)
  • Meal 2: Shaved chicken; roasted red potatoes; carrots & tomatoes; olives
  • Meal 3: Beef brisket cooked in the crockpot w/carrots, celery & potatoes
  • Snack: Green juice; coffee

MOOD:

Good mood so far! A little tired over lunch and had another cup of coffee which I finished by 12:30; still, I wish I hadn't.

MOVE:

40 minute exercise at Eupraxia, combo of HIIT, body weight exercises & kettlebells

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6:30 and woke up feeling really good.

CHALLENGES:

Oh man I wanted a Diet Coke SO BADLY today at lunchtime. Wish I hadn't had the green juice. Still too fruit-heavy, no veggies at breakfast. I just don't know how to choke them down!! I could definitely eat a smoothie if that was appropriate, but I know Whole30 frowns on smoothies.

I'M PROUD OF:

reading your posts about meals and getting some great ideas for myself as today is my "day 1"....question:  how do you "shave" chicken?  are you buying it already shaved or have a slicer at home...I hate to invest any more money lol but love the thinest slicest of meats best myself :)

17 hours ago, cobr62 said:

reading your posts about meals and getting some great ideas for myself as today is my "day 1"....question:  how do you "shave" chicken?  are you buying it already shaved or have a slicer at home...I hate to invest any more money lol but love the thinest slicest of meats best myself :)

Hi, I buy it shaved really thinly from the grocery store deli counter; I specify shave "as thinly as possible" and buy at least a pound, then eat as much as I want for lunch. :-) Good luck to you!! I hope it's going well so far.

FEB 3 2017:

Woke up really early for me, at 5:15, after a dream that the house we sold before we moved, had not in fact sold. It was so real! I woke up in a cold sweat trying to figure out what to do! Just stayed up at that point.

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods creamer (2 cup); LaraBar (coconut cream pie)
  • Meal 2: Shaved chicken; roasted red potatoes; carrots & tomatoes
  • Meal 3:
  • Snack:

MOOD:

Well, my guess is that I'll be tired today!

MOVE:

Rest day, yoga tomorrow

SLEEP:

Slept from 10 to 5:15

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

2 hours ago, KensingtonC said:

Hi, I buy it shaved really thinly from the grocery store deli counter; I specify shave "as thinly as possible" and buy at least a pound, then eat as much as I want for lunch. :-) Good luck to you!! I hope it's going well so far.

I just want to caution you about deli meat. It is very rare to find compliant deli meat. Please make sure you've double-checked all the ingredients with the counter person. 

FEB 6 2017

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods creamer (2 cup); compliant bacon (4 slices)
  • Meal 2:
  • Meal 3:
  • Snack:

MOOD:

So far so good

MOVE:

Rest day, HIIT + strength tomorrow.

SLEEP:

Slept from 10 to 5:15

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

-----

Last week wrap-up:

FOOD:

Did pretty well overall; I think I'm slowly figuring out how the meal template works best for me, and which foods I do well with vs those that I don't.

MOOD:

Overall good last week! Though a couple really tired days/early mornings. I was sick the first half of the week.

MOVE:
Sunday HIIT + strength, Wednesday kickboxing, Thursday HIIT + strength, Saturday hot Vinyasa flow yoga

SLEEP:

Good overall

-----

This week's plan:

Prepping for the week today. Helpful I think to write it all out here, so here's what I'm thinking:

FOOD:

• BREAKFASTS: I made compliant bacon in the oven this morning but need to make more. Still haven't found a good solution for veggies for breakfast! And I can't stand the thought of eggs right now, although this weekend at a farm-to-table, whole food restaurant I ate fried eggs on wilted greens with peppers, onions and garlic and it was fantastic. So perhaps I could try something like that this morning and see how it is. Trying to avoid LaraBars this week. Maybe try an egg-meat-apple scramble? My nutpods creamer is almond and coconut based so that's a good AM source of fats.
  • LUNCHES: Shaved deli chicken (which is compliant thankfully, we have a great co-op); leftovers; seared chicken in salad
  • DINNERS: Monday is up to me, probably some sort of baked chicken dish. Tuesday is "tacos" with friends at our house. Wednesday is a new recipe probably a skillet meal. Thursday is crock pot.

FEB 7 2017

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods creamer (1 cup) & coffee w/almond milk (1 cup); Larabar (coconut cream pie)
  • Meal 2: Compliant bacon (3 slices); baked russet potato w/EVOO & spices; green beans raw
  • Meal 3: Ground beef w/taco seasoning sautéed in EVOO; iceberg lettuce, olives, tomatoes, red bell peppers; lettuce wrap
  • Snack:

MOOD:

Good

MOVE:

• Tues: 30 min lower body strength
  • Weds: 30 min kickboxing
  • Thurs: 30 min HIIT + strength
  • Friday: 20 min tabata

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6; wish I would have gotten out of bed instead of lying there an extra 30 minutes, awake but not moving!

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

Making good choices at lunch; so badly wanted a Valentine's candy or chips or veggies straws or something, anything! Even though I haven't prepped well this week, I fought the urge and have eaten well this week.

FEB 10 2017

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods creamer (2 cups); compliant bacon (4 slices)
  • Meal 2: Meatballs w/compliant BBQ sauce; lettuce/cucumbers/tomatoes/olives/almonds w/balsamic vinaigrette & Greek seasoning
  • Meal 3:
  • Snack:

MOOD:

Good, lots of energy today

MOVE:

• Mon: Rest
  • Weds: 38 min kickboxing + strength
  • Thurs: Rest

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

Making good choices at lunch; so badly wanted a Valentine's candy or chips or veggies straws or something, anything! Even though I haven't prepped well this week, I fought the urge and have eaten well this week.

FEB 11 2017

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods creamer (2 cups); compliant bacon (4 slices); Spinach/blueberries/banana smoothie
  • Meal 2: Chicken (5oz), seared; tomatoes & green beans sautéed in coconut oil; black olives [picture of the veggies attached, just because]
  • Meal 3:
  • Snack: 1/2 Larabar (coconut cream pie)

MOOD:

Good!

MOVE:

• Weds: 38 min kickboxing + strength

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6, got up early to read! That's always a nice way to start the day

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

Taking the time to make a healthy lunch even though I was hungry, tired and trying to feed the baby

lunch_Feb_11_2017.JPG

FEB 12 2017

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods creamer (3 cups); Larabar (coconut cream pie)
  • Meal 2: Perfect Chicken w/Greek seasoning; sautéed tomatoes, green beans & almond slices
  • Meal 3:
  • Snack:

MOOD:

SO tired today even though I slept a lot last night. Maybe too much??

MOVE:

• Sun: Rest
  • Tues: 30 min upper body strength
  • Weds: Kickboxing + strength
  • Fri: 20 min HIIT
  • Sat: 35 min strength

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6:30

CHALLENGES:

I still am just not a big breakfast eater. Eggs are OK but I NEVER want them within an hour of waking up, and anything else other than bacon just makes me sick, including vegetables. I am hoping a combination of bacon plus veggie smoothie is OK, or a Larabar. There is literally nothing else I can stomach and isn't is more important to eat than not to eat?

I'M PROUD OF:

Prepping and grocery shopping today even though I am tired and I think I have a sinus infection.

FEB 13 2017

Yesterday my meals were excellent! For dinner I made perfect chicken w/Greek seasoning and sautéed green beans and bacon in coconut oil. I also did a lot of prep: chicken, red potatoes, green beans, sliced almonds. Prep is the KEY!! Today I'm going to prep my salads for work this week.

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/coconut milk (1 cup); almond milk latte (1); compliant bacon (4 slices)
  • Meal 2: Perfect Chicken w/Greek seasoning; green beans & pieces of bacon sautéed in coconut oil; roasted red potatoes
  • Meal 3: Beef chili w/tomatoes, olives; bell peppers sautéed in coconut oil
  • Snack: Unsweetened mango

MOOD:

Tired but I think this is because I have a sinus infection and I'm always tired when I'm sick.

MOVE:

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6:00

CHALLENGES:

It's always harder for me when I don't feel well!

I'M PROUD OF:

Prepping yesterday and prepping bacon this morning, then salads this afternoon. Key to a successful week for sure!!

Feb 14 2017 :wub:

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods French Vanilla creamer (2 cups); compliant bacon (4 slices)
  • Meal 2: Perfect Chicken w/Greek seasoning; green beans & pieces of bacon sautéed in coconut oil; roasted red potatoes
  • Meal 3: Beef chili w/tomatoes, olives; bell peppers sautéed in coconut oil
  • Snack: Raspberries, strawberries

MOOD:

Good

MOVE:

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6:45

CHALLENGES:

Breakfast! Ugh I just hate eating in the mornings, especially eggs.

I'M PROUD OF:

Prepping! Makes such a difference for how the rest of the day goes.

FINAL TALLY - Feb 14 2017 :wub:

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods French Vanilla creamer (2 cups); compliant bacon (4 slices)
  • Meal 3: Stovetop chicken w/Italian seasoning; bell peppers sautéed in coconut oil and Italian seasoning
  • Snack: Larabar (Coconut Cream Pie)

MOOD:

Good! Tired after the 12:00 workout but in a good way.

MOVE:

• Tues: 32 min upper body strength + HIIT
  • Weds: 30 min Kickboxing

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6:45

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

I'M LEARNING:

• Anything processed & with wheat is a gateway food for me, I think. Sugar cravings seem to be directly related to how much I want something processed.
  • Alcohol, likewise
  • I crave sugar whenever I am very tired, very sad, or just woke up and need a boost. Not healthy! That's not using food as fuel.

Feb 16 2017

FOOD:

• Meal 1: Coffee w/Nutpods French Vanilla creamer (2 cups); Larabar (coconut cream pie)
  • Meal 2: Perfect Chicken w/Greek seasoning; green beans sautéed in coconut oil w/toasted almond slices
  • Meal 3:
  • Snack: Unsweetened mango

MOOD:

Good

MOVE:

• Tues: 32 min upper body strength + HIIT
  • Weds: Rest - sick child
  • Thurs: 30 min strength + HIIT

SLEEP:

Slept from 11 to 6:45 but lots of interruptions due to a 3 year old with influenza and a GI bug

CHALLENGES:

I'M PROUD OF:

I'M LEARNING:

• Anything processed & with wheat is a gateway food for me, I think. Sugar cravings seem to be directly related to how much I want something processed.
  • Alcohol, likewise
  • I crave sugar whenever I am very tired, very sad, or just woke up and need a boost. Not healthy! That's not using food as fuel.

Archived