Fueling long runs - success

Since starting my Whole 30 I have not run a longer distance due to injuries. These past two weekends, I ran 6.1 miles and 10.1 miles. I am happy to say that I had no energy issues. Before each run, I had a hard boiled egg and a Lara bar. I had no flagging of energy, and even felt less stiff after the 10 miler than is normal for me. Now keep in mind, these were slow distance runs, not fast racing - things may be different for a faster pace. For me, though, it seems that I have adapted to using more fat for runs.

Yay!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is great, I too have noticed much, much better recovery from longer runs (less stiffness, not tired or headachy, able to work out the next day without any issues) since adopting a paleo/Whole diet, and none of the feeling like my blood sugar is bottoming out upon completion. Not to mention better energy during the actual run. It took me 3-4 weeks to get there, so I hope people who are reading this thread because they are a couple weeks into their W30 and hit the wall after 30 mins of running hear what we're saying....which is that it DOES get MUCH better!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've followed a primal diet for the past 5 months and have been doing Whole30 for the past 28 days - I did end up consuming butter and wine at the end of October and restarted another whole30 for the month of November. I fuel my marathons with sweet potato and eggs with no problem and consume dried fruits before/during/after runs if I feel the need - raisins are AMAZING for my speedwork sessions :)

I do tend to eat about 2-3 servings of fruit a day, usually in the form of an apple, an orange, half a banana or a 1/4C of dried fruit.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always relied on Gu to help fuel my long runs through my previous marathon training cycles. I'm at the beginning of marathon training again and had my first long, long run this past weekend. I wasn't sure what to do about the fueling while on the Whole30, but what I ended up deciding to do was carry a Larabar with me in the pocket of my sports bottle. I figured I could eat half of it at a time as I needed throughout the run. I never ended up needing it! My energy never waned once! I ran 18+ miles and felt as good when I finished as I did when I started. This coming weekend I have 20 miles, so hopefully I'll have a similar experience. I'll probably carry a bar with me just in case though.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank you for this post. I just got back from my first long run while doing Whole30. 9 miles, and I fueled with a half a larabar and it was PERFECTION. Thanks again!

Yes thanks for the post! Happy you commented so I could run into it.

Curious if all of the "fuel snacks" are Whole 30 approved? Like Dried fruit & larabars?

Idk if I can eat a boiled egg during my long runs or before.

Thanks everyone for your help. This is my first Whole 30, day 4 :)

I've always relied on Gu to help fuel my long runs through my previous marathon training cycles. I'm at the beginning of marathon training again and had my first long, long run this past weekend. I wasn't sure what to do about the fueling while on the Whole30, but what I ended up deciding to do was carry a Larabar with me in the pocket of my sports bottle. I figured I could eat half of it at a time as I needed throughout the run. I never ended up needing it! My energy never waned once! I ran 18+ miles and felt as good when I finished as I did when I started. This coming weekend I have 20 miles, so hopefully I'll have a similar experience. I'll probably carry a bar with me just in case though.

Poison Ivy-you are at the BEGINNING of your marathon training cycle and you ran 18 miles? Good lord! Are you sure you aren't training for a 50 mile ultra! ;) I don't hit 18 miles till a ways into my training cycle! You are hard core!

I am on Day 6 of my first Whole 30 and have a half- marathon on Day 13. It is an easy, mostly downhill course and I am planning to run/walk it and not push myself. Any suggestions to help me before and during? I am still feeling pretty tired, went for a short run with my dog yesterday and it felt really good.. I have been paleo since July, but fell off the paleo wagon during the holidays (so now I am paying for it).

I really don't want to bonk on this half.... It is my 1 year anniversary of my very first half marathon and the 4th half I will run. Thanks for your suggestions and support!

Fergie,

for W30 1/2 marathon fueling I would suggest the organic baby food that comes in the pouches that look like gels. I forget the brand I used but they worked great. The flavor I used was sweet potato and apple. Those were the only two ingredients.

Okay, so let me get this straight--GU is a NO, but Larabar is OK for Whole30? I have an 8 miler Saturday. Just trying to figure out what I can do. I usually down half a shot of 5 hour energy before a race. I'm sure that's out.

I've been Paleo with Whole30 interspersed here and there for the past 9 months, and I've found that I don't need any fuel at all for anything under 12. I can get away with nothing for a 15 also, depending on the elevation changes, but then I'm a bit more fatigued in the day. I think my body has adapted to not snacking in a way that makes it unnecessary to "snack" when running or biking, too.

So I just want to chipe in there a wee bit, though I'm not training for a marathon but had a question about muscle fuels. I am very active and very fit so have been wondering why my legs feel weak at the top of the stairs ( like the muscles aren't getting fueled fast enough. I felt it a bit today at the beginning of my power walk. I'm just looking for confirmation that this is the change over period ( oh...I'm on day 9 of my first Whole30) when my body is learning to burn fat rather than sugar and that this too shall pass?

I felt the same way during crossfit this morning. I too would like to know if this is just part of the "transition". I am really the only person in my training, friend, work circles that is doing a W30 and I am also on Day 9. I know it will get better, but it would be nice to hear some one's experience with this and how they delt with the "weak feeling muscles".

Archived