This Sucks and I HATE the Whole30

korip

Today sucks, ya'll. Nothing sounds good-I had my breakfast which was chicken and potatoes fried in olive oil, an egg scrambled in, topped with avocado and salsa. I struggle with food issues like, um, mixing eggs with food and several thousand other little quirks that I have powered through before, but today was gag-worthy. For one, chicken and potatoes just don't go together. Like, ever. Fried chicken? Yum. Mashed potatoes? No thanks. I don't even love french fries. Anyway-I kept reminding myself that FOOD IS FUEL, nothing more and nothing less, but it was a struggle.

The thing is, nothing sounds good. Not even off-plan food. I have food for the week already prepped, and it's stuff that sounded great while making it. I have fresh salad ingredients and chicken and Whole30 compliant sausage that I made with my own two hands and all sorts of spices and-yuck. It all sounds like-well, like shit. I don't even think I would be tempted by a plateful of pasta and bread.

Plus I pretty much hate everyone and anything. I swear it's like all the negative (minus the hangover because I didn't ever really have one other than a nagging headache on day 2) is hitting right now. I just want to bite someone's face off, really. But not eat it, because surely human flesh would not be compliant.

i'm on day 11, it was freezing cold today, I couldn't have the amazing looking schnitzel and potato salad everyone else had at work ( I had salad with tinned tuna, not very inspiring) and I am totally over salad. I ended up making soup with chicken and veggies and curry spices for dinner.  It helped at least getting some definite variety. Headaches suck, hope it goes soon. 

Yay for making it through Day 10! I ended up just eating some carrots/celery and olives for a snack and nothing else until dinner. Not good, I know, for several reasons, but I just couldn't think of anything I wanted. After shoveling snow for several hours, I came in and made dinner and was STARVED. Like, chew my hand off starved. Which was a huge improvement over thinking food was awful earlier in the day! We had pork chops dredged in arrowroot powder and spices, fried in coconut oil, and baked potatoes. No green veggies because I was over them today, but otherwise it was good. I had ghee and salt on my potato and ate two protein servings of the meat-and I feel so much better.

And let me just point this out: I shoveled snow for several HOURS. I started this ten days ago and I could not have shoveled snow for ten minutes! Ok, maybe 15. But other than some soreness from using my muscles so much, I don't HURT like usual. I could do it with minimal breaks and no debilitating pain. I have been focusing so much on other aspects of the program like planing and preparation and making sure I was eating right that I honestly hadn't noticed that in only ten days a large part of my everyday pain (fibromyalgia and obesity together are a bad mix!) has decreased considerably. Already! 

So-while today was definitely the worst I have had so far in terms of psychological pain, it was also the best day I had for seeing some concrete proof that this is working. So I had an off food day (not non-compliant, just abnormal), I can go to bed knowing several things: this is working. Slowly but surely, it is working. And I am getting stronger, and I can go through a day like this without going off-plan. It didn't kill me, and I just sat with my feelings of discomfort rather than trying to NOT feel them. Tomorrow will be a better food day because I AM going to make myself eat even if I don't want to.

@CateL I hope your day tomorrow is better! Here's to another one down, right?

@Korip - what would you normally/previously have eaten?  It sounds like you might have had a very restrictive diet for some other reasons, maybe very little variety, something psychological maybe?

hating everything/everyone is part of the time line (Kill All The Things) - and a recognised part of the process of 'healing'.  Great NSV for doing all the snow shovelling without usual aches, pains etc.  surely that in itself is worth it?

good luck with the struggle - keep on keeping on.

@Crastney Actually I don't feel like I have been on any restrictions, which is part of why I felt thrown for a loop yesterday! A typical Whole30 day goes something like this:

Meal#1-three eggs, a couple of cups of spinach sauteed with ghee, mushrooms, carmelized onions, red and yellow peppers, all scrambled together with half an avocado on the side. Sometimes a banana or an apple.

Meal#2-1 Chicken salad made with 1 chicken breast (palm sized or slightly bigger), celery and nuts, tomato and radish, dressed with avocado, Whole30 mayo, cilantro and lime and garlic and served over about 3 cups of spinach and romaine lettuce.

Meal#3-Rib Steak (huge-probably 2 protein servings), drizzled with a ghee/garlic infusion, green beans cooked with tomatoes and celery and onion (if I eat this I don't eat another vegetable because it's one of my favorites and I will fill up my plate with them).

I have also been eating things like spaghetti squash covered with a homemade tomato based sauce with homemade compliant sausage, cod seared and then baked in a coconut milk, garlic and spices sauce, then the sauce goes over a baked potato and the fish and whatever vegetable I am having, usually broccoli or cauliflower. If I know I am going to be more active during the day I will start meal one with 2 boiled eggs and then have a sweet potato sauteed with apple and walnuts and cinnamon, topped with toasted coconut flakes and about 1/4 cup of coconut milk. I love the baked avocado and egg cups, with those I usually eat a big salad with balsamic or red wine vinegar and olive oil. I eat lots of leftovers either in a salad or scrambled with eggs, etc. So, I don't think this is a variety issue. Could be, but it doesn't feel like that.

I woke up this morning feeling MUCH more centered and less uncomfortable. I am actually looking forward to breakfast-leftover pork chops from last night, a potato diced and fried with ghee and garlic with some spinach thrown in just before serving, and a couple of eggs. We got another 8 or so inches of snow last night so I need the fuel from the potatoes for shoveling! Otherwise I would lean more toward something cold like a salad topped with boiled eggs and cilantro lime dressing.

Does this sound like I am eating ok overall? I look at what I have written and wonder. And I know about the meal template-I am trying to follow it but there is no way in hell I will eat some of the recipes on it so I am trying to simply duplicate the amounts listed.

Stay with the program, these feelings will begin to fade, you are right on schedule if you look at the Whole30 calendar. Although around Day 20-21, you are going to have another rush of 'want to kill all things' run thru your veins so prepare yourself. I have been on point with the calendar's mood swings and emotions (although not so severe). I almost gave in to temptation Saturday but kept telling myself to occupy my mind with other thoughts until the feeling to quit passess....and it did by Sat. night as I sat down to make my grocery list for shopping and prepping on Sunday. Hang in there, stay strong. You. Can. Do. This.

@korip - you current meals all look good to me. very good, in fact making me feel hungry just reading what you have.  I think I meant, maybe you were previously restricting your diet... anywho - you appear to be over whatever it was so that's good.

keep on keeping on

3 hours ago, Crastney said:

@korip - you current meals all look good to me. very good, in fact making me feel hungry just reading what you have.  I think I meant, maybe you were previously restricting your diet... anywho - you appear to be over whatever it was so that's good.

keep on keeping on

@Crastney I don't know what the problem was either but the friend who is doing this with me said she felt the same way-so it must just be one of those Whole30 things that hit both of us a little "off" the timeline schedule. I wasn't on a restrictive diet prior either. Regardless, I am over it and on Day 12!

17 hours ago, Cathie C said:

Stay with the program, these feelings will begin to fade, you are right on schedule if you look at the Whole30 calendar. Although around Day 20-21, you are going to have another rush of 'want to kill all things' run thru your veins so prepare yourself. I have been on point with the calendar's mood swings and emotions (although not so severe). I almost gave in to temptation Saturday but kept telling myself to occupy my mind with other thoughts until the feeling to quit passess....and it did by Sat. night as I sat down to make my grocery list for shopping and prepping on Sunday. Hang in there, stay strong. You. Can. Do. This.

@Cathie C Thank you! I have been off the timeline by a few days and even basically misses the whole detox stage except for a slight headache. so this one through me for a bit of a loop. I am glad to know that I am likely to have at least one more bad patch before I am done-it helps me be prepared.  And GO YOU for not caving!

Archived