Egg-Free Whole 30 #2

mochuisle

I've been a busy girl this afternoon - parent meeting at school, met w my parents to take care of their health insurance, did three loads of laundry, and cooked meals for the rest of the week.

And oh boy, what a dinner!! Mini Chorizo Meatloaves w Kale Salad. SOOOOO GOOD I'm attaching links to the recipes:

http://onceamonthmom...ini-meatloaves/

http://www.thekitchn...lad-with-148328

I left the chipotle and adobo out - I have it in a freezer bag w/o ingredients listed, so I figured I was better off omitting it than mistakenly using some chipotle that is non-compliant. Absolutely delicious and moist!! I found some nice yellow cherry tomatoes for the sauce and topped it all off with 1/4 avocado.

As for the kale salad, it was more my inspiration than a literal recipe. And like the author, I was a little skeptical about raw kale, too. I massaged it (no joke!), dressed it w balsamic vinegar and olive oil, then tossed it with mango and the other 1/4 avocado. Dreamy!!

Day 14 Log:

Breakfast - Buttercup Squash w Sausage, Spinach Salad w Mango

Lunch - Grilled Steak, Roasted Cauliflower w Garlic & Bacon

Dinner - Mini Chorizo Meatloaves, Kale Salad w Mango & Avocado

114 oz of water

DAY 15!!!!!!! Everything is downhill from here. I haven't stepped on a scale but I'm having a tough time keeping my ring on my finger :)

Started today with a quick 2 mile run, made a little more interesting by the fact that it was 28 degrees. Ouch!! Time to invest in some long running pants.

Day 14 Log:

Pre-Workout - Macadamia Butter

Breakfast - Apple, Butternut Squash & Sausage Hash

Lunch - Chorizo Meatloaf, Kale Salad w Mango & Avocado

Dinner - Steak Pizzaiola, Kale Salad w Mango

110 oz of water

3 miles in 30 degrees this morning - ran 11:40 splits - fastest pace yet!!

Another great new recipe - Martha Stewart's Carrot & Parsnip Fries

http://www.marthastewart.com/354231/carrot-and-parsnip-fries

Day 16 Log:

Pre-Workout - Pecan Butter

Breakfast - Buttercup Squash w Sausage

Lunch - Steak Pizzaiola, Roasted Root Vegetable & Kale Soup

Snack - Apple w Pecan Butter

Dinner - Chorizo Meatloaf w Avocado, Carrot & Parsnip Fries

118 oz of water

Long-ass day :( Parent conferences until 730pm and more tomorrow. The plus side of conferences used to be the amazing buffet the mothers put on for us. This year, I brought my own protein and ate their salad dry.

Day 17 Log:

Breakfast - Butternut Squash, Apple & Sausage Hash, Mango

Lunch - Steak Pizzaiola, Garden Salad

Dinner - Chorizo Meatloaf w Avocado, Garden Salad, Fruit Salad

117 oz of water

Conferences are over - thank God! While I'm happy to be done w two extremely busy work days, I'm even more excited that I resisted the macaroni & cheese and the dessert table :) I had big plans for workouts this afternoon, but decided to sack out on the couch instead. It's all good!

I have a 6-mile run planned for tomorrow morning. If all goes well, I'm signing up for the Rock n Roll Marathon DC in March. Not only will I get to spend St Patrick's Day in DC, but I'm hoping to get my brother and/or sister-in-law to run, too. And a run through our nation's capital seems like a good idea for any history teacher ;)

I had nothing planned for dinner tonight, so I completely winged it, and I've got to say - I'm pretty psyched with the results. Check it out below!

Day 18 Log:

Breakfast - Buttercup Squash w Sausage, Grapefruit

Lunch - Chorizo Meatloaf w Avocado, Parsnip & Carrot Fries

Dinner - Roasted Haddock w Mediterranean Sauce (tomato paste, olive tapenade, pine nuts), Broccoli w Clarified Butter

106 oz of water

post-3510-0-50185700-1352504297_thumb.jp

6 miles in 1:11 this morning :) Long run was followed by restorative yoga which was followed by a long, cold afternoon of high school football. I think I'll sleep well tonight!

Day 19 Log:

Breakfast - Haddock w Mediterranean Sauce (tomato paste, olive tapenade, pine nuts), Broccoli w Clarified Butter

Lunch - Butternut Squash, Apple & Sausage Hash

Dinner - Broiled Scallops, Purple & Green Kale, Buttercup Squash w Clarified Butter

I'm re-reading yesterday's post and realizing why my legs are so sore right now. If they were dead after yesterday, the 3-mile run and another heated vinyasa class may not have been the best idea. I'm going to get in the pool in the morning to give my legs a break.

I've had some lame meals the last few days, so I did a whole pile of cooking tonight. This is the first roast chicken I've had on W30, and it was well worth it to spend more for a local, free-range chicken to be able to eat roast chicken skin :) Can't wait for Paleo Shrimp & Grits tomorrow morning!

Day 21 Log:

Breakfast - AF Hot Dog w Mustard, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Green Salad

Lunch - AF Pork Kielbasa w Mustard, Spinach Salad w Dried Apricots, Apple w Pecan Butter

DInner - Roast Chicken, Mashed Cauliflower, Acorn Squash, Asparagus

116 oz of water

Yoga today felt fantastic on my legs. I took the morning off and will wait until Thursday to run again just to make sure they've had enough time to recover. And... I just registered for the Rock n Roll Half Marathon!!!

Day 22 Log:

Breakfast - Paleo Shrimp & Grits

Lunch - Roast Chicken, Mashed Cauliflower, Roasted Asparagus, Acorn Squash

Dinner - Scallops on Mixed Greens, Kabocha Squash

98 oz of water

I tried another really good recipe today - Butternut Squash Lasagna! This will be just as easy to eat for breakfast as for lunch/dinner. I added some spinach to the original recipe: http://www.health-bent.com/beef/paleo-butternut-squash-lasagna

Day 23 Log:

Lunch - Roast Chicken, Mashed Cauliflower, Asparagus, Acorn Squash

Dinner - Butternut Squash Lasagna, Kale Salad w Apricots & Avocado

112 oz of water

I hit my 100th ingredient today! When I hit 99, I thought I should find something notable to be number 100. Well, a friend gave me a tin of sardines a month ago so I thought it would be fitting that my 100th ingredient is not only something I hadn't eaten yet this month, but something I'd never eaten before. I'm no longer afraid of sardines, but I'm not going to go searching for them either.

Now I'm interested to see how many more ingredients I can get in this month. Cooking Light had a pretty cool list of 53 foods for adventurous healthy cooks, so maybe I'll hunt a few of them down.

Day 24 Log:

Lunch - Butternut Squash Lasagna, Grapefruit, Figs

Dinner - Shredded Pork, Mashed Cauliflower, 1 Sardine :)

140 oz of water

Rest day - gearing up for a 4-mile run tomorrow morning. 6 miles was long last week, so I'm backing off a little the next week or two to build mileage on my midweek runs.

Today I resisted free cupcakes and candy samples at the mall. Why was I at the mall? Oh, because I donated seven pairs of pants and two pairs of jeans to Goodwill and need new jeans desperately. No biggie ;). I'm starting to get excited to weigh in again!

Day 25 Log:

Breakfast - Butternut Squash Lasagna, Kale Salad w Apricots & Avocado

Lunch - Shredded Pork, Mashed Cauliflower, Grapefruit

Dinner - Roasted Swordfish w Guacamole, Spinach, Figs

140 oz of water

Busy Saturday! Today I....

Started the morning off with 4.3 miles in 50:00 - splits are getting lower and lower :) Went bowling w one of my girlfriends and am joining her bowling league. Yep! And bought a pair of jeans 2 full sizes smaller than what I was wearing in September.

I'd call that a pretty good day :)

Day 26 Log:

Breakfast - Pork & Plaintain Breakfast Hash, Kale Salad w Dried Apricots & Balsamic Vinaigrette

Lunch - AF Hot Dogs, Green Smoothie (spinach, kale, cuke, ginger, carrot, date, mango, pineapple, OJ)

Dinner - Burger w Bacon (no bun), Side Salad w Oil & Vinegar, Figs

142 oz of water

I feel absolutely lousy today :( I woke up with a cold and it's coming on strong - I have no appetite, a fever and chills. Ugh!! Sleeping 12 hours last night should've been a dead giveaway....

So, I've stayed compliant, which is saying something when I want to eat nothing or ice cream. What should I do about working out tomorrow? I planned on doing a 3 mile run and am torn between trying to sweat the cold out and trying to sleep it off. Any thoughts??

Day 27 Log:

Pre-Workout - Apple w Pecan Butter (woke up too late to have real breakfast before yoga)

Breakfast - Bacon, Butternut Squash, Kale Salad w Vinaigrette

Lunch - AF Kielbasa, Grapefruit

Dinner - Pan Roasted Pork Chop, Oven Roasted Fennel, Rainbow Chard

102 oz of water

I took today off from school and am feeling better, but I'm super congested. I started using Simply Saline this afternoon, hoping to loosen things up a little bit.

Day 28 Log:

Breakfast - Pork & Plaintain Breakfast Hash

Lunch - Meatballs w Tomato-Harissa Sauce, Butternut Squash, Rainbow Chard

Dinner - Pan Roasted Pork Chop, Oven Roasted Fennel, Rainbow Chard

64 oz of water

Day 29 Log:

Breakfast - Pork & Plantain Breakfast Hash w Tessemae's Hot Sauce, Spinach Salad w Tessemae's Lemon Vinaigrette, Satsuma Orange

Lunch - Meatballs w Tomato-Harissa Sauce, Spinach, Grapefruit

Dinner - Zucchini Pasta w Shrimp & Bacon "Alfredo" Sauce, Satsuma Orange

Day 30 is finally here!!!! This nasty cold is moving into my chest just in time for tomorrow's Thanksgiving Day 4-miler - sweet! - which has me a little less than euphoric, but I demonstrated tremendous willpower by not sampling as I baked this afternoon. Woohoo!!

Day 30 Log:

Breakfast - Pork & Plantain Breakfast Hash, Bacon, Spinach Salad, Satsuma

Lunch - Spinach Salad w Chicken, Tomatoes & Cukes, Green Smoothie (spinach, kale, banana, blueberries, coconut milk)

Dinner - Zucchini Pasta w Shrimp & Bacon "Alfredo"

93 oz of water

You have no idea how happy I am to make this post. Let's just say I have plenty to be thankful for this Thanksgiving :)

When I started dabbling w W9/W30 in June, I weighed 246 pounds. Today, after my second full W30, I'm down to 215.

I had given up completely on losing weight and had resigned myself to being one of those people whose outsides don't reflect their insides. When I began working w W9, I told my doctor that I was incredibly frustrated that I have the eating and exercise habits of someone who weighs 50 lbs less than I do, but couldn't lose weight despite my best efforts. With my doctor's help, especially her diagnosis of food sensitivities I never knew I had, and with the guidance of the W30, I finally feel like my inside and outside self can be one and the same.

Beyond weight loss, I am finally running again after 8 years of injuries and frustration. Similar to my feelings on weight loss, I had resigned myself to being someone who just couldn't run anymore. And again, with the help of Chi Running and W9, I've eliminated that resignation.

When I started running/training for a triathlon in June, it took me 32:00 to run/walk 2 miles.

With Chi Running strategies and W9 concepts, I ran a 5K in July in 42:00.

By the end of September (and close to the end of my first W30), I ran a 5.2-mile leg of a marathon relay in 1:06.

And today just after ending my second W30, I ran a 4-mile road race in 43:20.

My splits have dropped from 16:00 to 13:30 to 12:40 to 10:48. I actually finished today's race sprinting to the finish line w one of my former athletes who is still in her twenties :) and today's time for a 4 mile race was almost the same as my 5K in July!

In March 2004, I ran the New Bedford Half Marathon w my sister, but was plagued by so many injuries before and after the race that I never thought I'd run another half. Now I'm registered for Rock n Roll DC in March.

Among the many things I'm grateful for this Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for Dallas & Melissa's work and the guidance of the Whole 9/30 community. You are literally changing my life. God bless you!

Archived