Uses for shredded coconut

livvie2012

I'm not sure what possessed me, but I recently ordered a 22 lb bag of organic shredded coconut off amazon. It's delicious to munch on straight, but I thought I'd ask around for some more recipe ideas.

So far, I've made coconut manna from it (unbelievably easy in my food processor, took about 3 minutes - I especially liked a batch to which I added some spicy cinnamon, a great topper for baked acorn squash), and I have plans to try making coconut milk.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what possessed me, but I recently ordered a 22 lb bag of organic shredded coconut off amazon. It's delicious to munch on straight, but I thought I'd ask around for some more recipe ideas.

So far, I've made coconut manna from it (unbelievably easy in my food processor, took about 3 minutes - I especially liked a batch to which I added some spicy cinnamon, a great topper for baked acorn squash), and I have plans to try making coconut milk.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a friend who used to make coconut milk from fresh coconut for a certain curry dish that she made. It was so amazing. I think I tried it once and didn't want to do it again, but using shredded sounds so much easier. It has no sugar in it, correct? It's just 100% coconut?

You can sprinkle it on just about anything from curry to beef stew or on top of soups.

Wow..22lbs. I wonder if you should freeze some of it?

It has no sugar in it, correct? It's just 100% coconut?

You can sprinkle it on just about anything from curry to beef stew or on top of soups.

Wow..22lbs. I wonder if you should freeze some of it?

Yes, it's unsweetened. For now, I've put as much as possible into storage containers and moved it to the basement. Maybe I'll be giving away jars of homemade coconut manna for Christmas?

Here's the recipe I'm planning to use for coconut milk: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2009/12/11/homemade-coconut-milk (using a French press, as a comment suggests)

I went to amazon and saw your 22 lb bag. :) Or at least I assume it's the one you bought. From my memory, that recipe is exactly what she used to do, but she used fresh coconut. It looks really fun to make and I think your idea of giving away pretty little jars of homemade Manna is a great idea.

I went through this last year when a 25 pound bad of it came into my friend's shop with a hole in it- they couldn't sell it and it was too heavy to bother shipping it back, so score for me. In addition to the above ideas, you can ferment it! It can go sweet ferment or savory depending on what you put in with it, and lasts for ages.

Right now, I have the same situation with 30 pounds of coconut flour- not nearly as versatile.

I went through this last year when a 25 pound bad of it came into my friend's shop with a hole in it- they couldn't sell it and it was too heavy to bother shipping it back, so score for me. In addition to the above ideas, you can ferment it! It can go sweet ferment or savory depending on what you put in with it, and lasts for ages.

Right now, I have the same situation with 30 pounds of coconut flour- not nearly as versatile.

That sounds interesting! I like fermenting stuff (currently: milk kefir - though not drinking it b/c of my new eating habits, kombucha, and past attempts at sauerkraut and various other things).

Do you have a recipe or link? Thanks.

That sounds interesting! I like fermenting stuff (currently: milk kefir - though not drinking it b/c of my new eating habits, kombucha, and past attempts at sauerkraut and various other things).

Do you have a recipe or link? Thanks.

I don't actually- I have some totally weird resistance to recipes- I know it's something I need to work on. When I did it I think I just mixed the coconut with some raw whey and left it in a jar for a while. Since you're not doing dairy you would want to brine it or use a different kind of starter. You could use your kombucha!

Archived