Help! Might be required to taste off plan food for a class...

Hey Whole 30-ers :)

Needing a little advice - I am currently in school to get my MS/RD and am in a class this semester called Food Science which also includes a lab section which is essentially a cooking class. 

I noticed on the syllabus that it says we are expected to taste the foods we make and to reach out if you have food allergies or are a vegetarian. I am on day 2 of Whole30.

I felt a little silly reaching out saying that I am doing Whole30 since it is not technically a serious allergy or anything like that, but I will be SO bummed if the teacher responds that I really do need to taste things. 

Any advice for how to respond if I receive some push back? I already mentioned that I am doing this to help some pre-existing health issues, so we will see what the teacher says. I of course don't want to hurt my grade for the class, but thought I would reach out to see if anyone has any creative ideas! 

Thanks!

Are you comfortable with Chew and Spit, in front of/or with the class.  I wouldn't be.

It's advised that Chew and Spit is an option. It wouldn't be for me.  I'd have to take one for the team, my job.  Chew and Spit might gross your classmates out...causing more of a gag reflex amongst your classmates.

You're not doing a Whole 30 for food sensitivities.  Tasting food comes along with a food scientist/chef/cook/baker's territory. It's part of the job.

Chew and Spit is an actual part of food disorder for those who struggle with over-restriction. That's why I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. But that is not your dilemma.  Understood. Understood.

As glucose pills and other prescribed medicines/doctors orders trump Whole 30,  I would have to think of my job that pays the bills and keeps the lights on as crucial.   So I would taste the food and keep my job and take one for the team. Your paycheck. Your grade that might affect outcomes down the road. 

Here's a creative way of thinking about it and there are W30 manifestos that touch this...eating out.

When we go out to a restaurant, we do the best we can.  Asking the questions, so on. You're never 100% sure of what really goes on back in the kitchen.  So you eat the food and move on. Next.  

You can talk with your teacher before hand  and see how it goes, if the overall response leans toward tasting the food for a grade, adjust your sails accordingly.

How well do you know your classmates?

If it were me, I would reach out to someone else in the class I knew, explain the situation, and ask them if they would be comfortable tasting the food for me and giving me feedback. I assume you are supposed to write down what you think of how it tastes, so I would offer to read the descriptions of their own dishes and help them proofread and enhance. After they agreed, I would then ask the instructor if this was permissible. You've already got a plan, so why would the instructor say no?

I could understand the importance of you performing the tasting yourself if you were in culinary school. But for a one class in your grad program? 

Good luck, either way!

Just tell the teacher that you're doing an elimination diet to test for food sensitivities in relation to your health issues. I would think that as a future RD this would be something you might advise clients to do and therefore it is a good thing for you to have experience with it. 

Archived