madknitter17

Hey Everyone,

I am starting in a week, January 30th. Reading the book and getting my self familiar with all the other resources. 

I am poorer and a little bit afraid to start the diet due to lack of a reliable income. However, I have a lot of health issues including digestive and my doctor believes that the Whole 30 could really help. That being said I am going on the diet for a whole 90 days. My boyfriend is joining me for the first two weeks to help get me started. After that I am going to be needing all the online support I can get. 

I am really excited to start having my health improve and I am thrilled to make some new friends along the way.

I have the Whole 30 book, but I am going to need as many recipes as I can get. Especially more economical recipes. 

Best of Luck Everyone, 

Taylor

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

This is my first Whole30 and I am starting on Jan 30, too! I was really wanting to start tomorrow, but I don't like to waste food and want to use up what I have before I start. I do have a few recipes and went shopping for stuff today. I already eat gluten free, stay away from white sugar and chemical sugars as well as other junk ingredients, don't drink any sodas, etc...  I have many, many issues that I want to clear up - and I hope that happens very, very soon! I just read the Whole30 Timeline article... man, I hope my mood doesn't worsen as I go through this! I can already identify with so much of what the article said and I haven't even started yet! lol  I would love to connect with the others here as we go through this... good luck to all!

Worldismyoyster I am going to have a hard time cutting out corn. If you wanna start a facebook group that sounds like a great idea. 

Is anyone else shoving down foods they are going to miss? My birthdaycake is tasting way good. It feels good to have a start date and being clearing out the fridge and pantry already. 

I'm kinda worried about cutting out added sugar... although I've started cutting back already. My feeling is that I don't want to shock myself TOO badly! Years ago, when I quit caffeine cold turkey, I went through some major withdrawls - and I don't drink coffee! I did drink tea, though... I made my first W30 meal tonight and it was delicious!

I am starting on the 30th also. I am nervous and excited about this. I really hope to beat my sugar addiction through this program. I really don't have much of a support system so would really appreciate any help and encouragement I can get.

I don't have much of a support system either. In fact, when i went gluten free, there were 2 people (who shall remain unidentified at least for now!) that had an intervention of sorts with me! Told me that my body NEEDED gluten and that I would get sick if I didn't eat any! Funny... they just did not understand...

Hi everyone! I'm starting on the 30th. I have been good about staying away from junk food. However, I got carried away this evening (at dinner). It will be good for me to stay away from alcohol and Diet Coke. Please let me know if you start a Facebook group. I will be checking in here. I need all the support I can get. Thanks!

Hi everyone!  I'm starting Monday as well.  Looking forward to kicking sugar for good, as well as figuring out which foods make me feel like crap :).  If there is a Facebook group I would love to be included if that is alright.  I need all the accountability I can get!  Thanks!

Worldismyoyster:

I feel you on the cheese. That might be one of my hardest things too. 

That meal sounds yummy. Where does everyone go for their recipes. I have the Whole30 cook book and I have tried pintrist a little bit. Does anyone know of any good blogs that have additional recipes?

2 more days!

3 hours ago, madknitter17 said:

Worldismyoyster:

I feel you on the cheese.

That meal sounds yumy. Where does everyone go for their recipes. I have the Whole30 cook book and I have tried pintrist a little bit. Does anyone know of any good blogs that have additional recipes?

2 more days!

Hi everyone! I planned to start Whole30 on Feb 1st, but it looks like I'm ahead of schedule. I have spent the last 10 days clearing the bad food out of my life - one bite at a time, haha - and did a final kitchen clean out this morning. I just got back from an ALDI grocery run after planning my first week meals and I'm excited to start! Mad knitter, see if you have ALDI near you. They have good produce and meats for much less money, and eggs are economical. And check out paleorunningmomma for recipes. They look amazing!

I too am going to miss cheese, and my all-time favorite, Siggi's yogurt.  We don't eat a lot of meat, more beans and grains, really, but I'm willing to give it a try because I just can't handle the way I feel any more. Medical tests have not uncovered anything so I'm turning to whole30 to see if my problems are food related.

Who is spending their Sunday prepping for the week?  

I am glad to find support here! :) I'm curious... what sort of symptoms does everyone have besides the usual digestive distress? I have many but the one that concerns me the most is the brain fog. I get kinda dizzy, can't think straight, memory problems and I tend to withdraw into myself and not want to talk to anyone. For one thing, most people don't understand how I feel - even doctors don't have any idea - I've had lots of tests and whatnot... all negative. Even years ago, I asked doctors about diet, but they all said it wouldn't make any difference. Obviously, I still don't feel the same as they do and now I'm here! I've been trying to tweak my diet for over 10 years now and I still need help! Anyone else have this sort of problem? I am hoping and praying that when I get my digestion straightened up, even the brain fog will disappear...

• Moderators
On 1/24/2017 at 11:48 AM, madknitter17 said:

I am poorer and a little bit afraid to start the diet due to lack of a reliable income.

A couple of years ago, there was a lady whose success story was featured on the Whole30 blog -- she'd done the program on just her social security income. It is definitely possible to do this without spending a ton of money.

Remember that organic produce and grass-fed meats are ideal, but are definitely not necessary. Do the best you can with what you have. If you find a particular cut of meat or some type of vegetable on sale at a really good price, build your menu around those things.

Sometimes, it's cheaper to buy a whole chicken, rather than pieces. Either way, save the bones from the chicken (or any other bone-in meat you buy) to make broth, rather than buying it. Frozen vegetables may be cheaper than fresh, just check that they don't have any non-compliant sauces or if it's a mix of vegetables, that it doesn't have peas or corn. Don't worry about buying things like almond flour or coconut flour if they're not in your budget, and if you do at some point want to try a recipe that uses them, check to see if you can find them in a bulk bin so you only have to buy what you need.

If you google Whole30 forum budget, you should get some past discussions of this that may have more tips.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, madknitter17 said:

Does anyone know of any good blogs that have additional recipes?

Whole Life Eating is all Whole30 compliant. Well Fed, Melissa Joulwan's blog and the name of her cookbooks, has lots of Whole30 options, and is usually good about noting things that aren't Whole30 or if something needs to be changed to make it Whole30. Nom Nom Paleo is good as well, although you definitely need to pay attention to hers, as she often includes a bit of honey or a little dairy -- often she notes if it can be left out or substituted with something else. 

Archived