Feedback on how much I'm eating please?

I'm a nursing mom and my little guy is 8 months old. I work full-time and need to pump, and I'm a little worried about keeping my supply up while doing this.  I'm on Day 2 now.  Here's what I ate yesterday (Day 1):

B: 3 hardboiled eggs, banana

L: 4 oz chicken breast, 2 c. wilted spinach w./1 tsp.  coconut oil, 1/2 medium avocado

D: two cups cauliflower/carrot soup, 1/2 sweet potato w./1 tsp. coconut oil, 1/4 c. pecans

Snack: apple, 1/4 c. almonds, coffee w./ 1/3 c. coconut milk

I was a little hungry last night when I went to bed and have a bad headache today and noticed I'm not pumping as much.  Do I need more carbs? Is there something other than potatoes I can add in? I like them, but I'm thinking they will get pretty boring by day 20 and beyond. I'm already drinking Mother's Milk tea, and my LO can't tolerate when I take fenugreek supplements.  I was eating peanut butter mixed with brewer's yeast everyday before I started, but obviously that's out for me now.  Any suggestions?

:)
Thank you!

Hey @loumazoo & welcome to the forums...

Yeah, you need to be eating more. BFing mums should be aiming for x4 full template meals, and maybe even sipping on some coconut milk throughout the day to help keep up supply. Your body needs more fuel to produce milk than it does to produce a baby. Weird, but true.

Meal one is fine on protein, but light on veg & fat - don't let the fruit push the veg off of your plate, and don't skimp on fat - you'll need it for brain health, for energy, and for sanity!

You could certainly do with more veg in meal two - wilted spinach is pretty much water, so add in some more there - mushrooms, potatoes, onions, leeks etc all work well with what you've got, but you can add whatever you fancy. For other starchy veg try beets, yams, plantains, turnip, rutabaga, sweet potatoes etc & try to aim for at least a fist sized serving per day, although you'll probbably find you need more.

At dinner you're missing protein entirely. Nuts are a fat source for Whole30 purposes, and one that should be limited to every other day max. How about some meatballs, or chicken thighs here?

And once you've got that 4th template meal added in feel free to have the odd snack if you need to, but try to make it look like a smaller versionof your other meaks - or least two of the three food groups, with protein & fat being your best option. As I mentioned previously nuts should be limited.

Are you drinking plenty of water? Our recommendation for non BFers is a half an ounce per pound of body weight, daily, but you'll want a good but more than that in order to keep you hydrated...

Hope this helps!

Archived