Whole30 with toddlers.

kelsey.gwen

I started Whole30 yesterday for myself along with my two toddlers, ages 4 and 2. So far, so good! My four year old told me yesterday he doesn't like the idea of big changes with our food but he's been hanging in there really well. My two year old hasn't seemed to notice yet. They are both pretty picky eaters but thankfully they both love eggs! And I'm SO thankful for compliant hotdogs (thank you Applegate!!). It's harder to balance their plates as they are picky but I'm hopeful they will grow more open to different foods over the next 30 days.

I feel bad for them though. I can tell the symptoms of changing their diets are hitting them hard. I wish they could comprehend why they feel yucky but I'm hopeful it will pass quickly! We are all crabby and tired today; I think the next few days are going to be rough but I'm looking forward to the days when we all start feeling better and have more energy to have fun together! 

Who else out there is in the thick of tackling Whole30 with toddlers?? Any tips or advice from those who have successfully done this in the past??

The great thing about them being so young is that if you stick with this way of eating they will adapt and not remember any other way if eating. All toddlers are prone to some degree of pickiness, but parents who feed their children exclusively junk and processed snacks STILL have issues with getting their toddler to eat, so I think if you can get them used to it, you will be doing yourself and them a big favor. 

Also remember that young kids don't have our food baggage. My husband and I like to watch this series about native Alaskans and I was struck my one scene where the little girl was so excited when her dad brought home seal blubber to eat. She was just as happy as your average kid if dad brought home a box of cookies. It made me realize how much WE teach our kids about food emotions. That little girl wasn't deprived, she just hand different (better) favorite foods. My son is 2 and sometimes when I make his lunches I feel that pull that I should put something "enjoyable" in his lunch because I look at it and think it's not something I would be excited about. But then I remind myself that he doesn't have my baggage and doesn't see his lunch as "missing a treat" like I see mine.   The other day he happily ate sardines & peas for breakfast. To me because of my own issues, I would have to force myself to eat that and not be happy, but he loves sardines so he saw it as a great breakfast. 

Youre doing a great thing for your kids and it will be tough but try to remember that they will adapt much easier than you.

@keightlynn Your post was very encouraging, thank you!

You reminded me that toddlers are naturally picky eaters. Thank you for pointing out that even parents who feed their toddlers junk still struggling with them being "picky". I just had an entire conversation about picky toddlers with a group of moms (and I happen to know none of them feed their toddlers well) but I didn't really put two and two together.

And the point about the food baggage was great. I hadn't really thought about it that way, but you are exactly right! I often feel bad that I'm denying them more enjoyable foods, but I think that more has to do with me and my food baggage. 

Thank you again.

Another thing that helps me is that I try to think of the things I make him and his meals as "exposures" whether he eats the food or not.  He's currently in a phase where he is less than enthused about most of the veggies I give him, and usually doesn't eat them if they aren't peas, olives, or sweet potatoes.  But I still continue to put whatever other veggies I have made on his place and in his lunch.  Even if he doesn't touch it, I think of it like, it's still teaching him that this food is a food we eat in our family, whether he chooses to eat it or not.  I make an effort to never make a big deal about whether he eats.  I choose the food I give him, he chooses whether and how much he eats.  Some meals he chooses not to eat very much, but as my aunt always used to say, "hunger makes a good chef" and it's true, he's usually more open to foods at the next meal when he's hungry.  Sometimes it is frustrating when I spend the time to make meals for him and he doesn't eat it or only picks out and eats one food group, but again, it really helps me to be less stressed about it by reminding myself that even if he doesn't take a bite, the more times he sees it on this plate, the more likely it is that eventually he will decide to give it a try and maybe even like it!

• 3 weeks later...

We're currently doing Whole30 with our 4 and 2 year old. We're on our third week and I explained to my kids that it's a healthy challenge. We can eat ALL the fruits and vegetables and meat we want. And I explained that we have to be careful about what we put into our body because too much sugar and processed foods,(insert examples), can make our bodies sick. They seem to understand. When my daughter doesn't like something I tell her to eat it with something she likes so that it tastes better to her. I just matter of factly tell her that we just have to learn to like good foods. And when we're done her prize is a new doll she's been wanting. When she says she wants a treat like a candy or ice cream I tell her "you're not a doggy, you don't need food as a treat" 

So far she's really starting to love vegetables. It was definitely difficult at first. I did make "yogurt" and that's been a bit of sweet a couple of times. It's coconut milk with chia and fruit. 

On my third week I plan to go rogue and make up my own recipes. So I'm thinking for when we go to the park, maybe meatballs with a side of avocado and banana chips, "yogurt" with seeds on top and deli slices, banana and almond butter and aidells chicken apple sausage, salad with nuts and meat/bacon and boiled egg.  It's all an experiment with them. Good luck!

I think it's great you are doing it with your kids! I have a 2 year old and I've thought about doing it with him, but I wanted to get through it myself first with my husband (you know the over-aged toddler) then I can concentrate more on what I give him and how he responds to it. So any suggestions that anyone has, I'm ready to learn. :)

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you that did Whole30 with toddlers, how did you manage it when your kids went to childcare elsewhere? Did you tell them ahead of time, or have them not give him the snack provided?

Also, my 2 year old son is hungry ALL. THE. TIME. He will eat all day long if I would let him. He will sit and eat a little at each meal, want to get up to play, then go back to his plate at the table over the course of an hour. Or if he eats all of his food in one sitting, he'll be back in the kitchen 5-10 minutes later looking for more food. We try to ask him before he gets down from the table if he's still hungry, but he usually just says "all done", gets down, and still comes back for more later. 

Tips for how to get him to sit for longer?? I just don't want him to graze, as it talks about that in It Starts With Food. I'd rather break that habit now.

My son stays home with me most of the time, but he gets food in church nursery (Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights), a snack at Mom's Day Out once a week, a snack at MOPS every other week, and occasionally eats at a friend's house when he goes to play.

I always try to fill him up with good foods before he goes to those places (if I can get him to sit still long enough) but of course he still eats the snacks provided for him. 

I have a gluten intolerance and he does better without milk (no more coughing and fewer runny noses/colds for him, if any at all). Currently I don't restrict the foods other people give him, but after reading It Starts With Food and with us about to start our Whole30 as a family in mid-April, I may start restricting what he has outside of our home to gluten and dairy free. Thoughts??

I guess I'm just nervous for my son. I want him to be healthy and know that he has my sensitive stomach (I don't do well with dairy either, and my dad and brother have severe lactose intolerance). He has had diarrhea issues for the past few months, and eliminating dairy (seems okay with cheese) has really helped, but I'd like to find out more about what he can handle from our Whole30. I just don't know how others outside our home will react and if they'll respect our wishes (or if they'll give in to giving my son those foods he really wants/likes since he's a big, growing, hungry boy). 

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:54 AM, Kdmo2010 said:

For those of you that did Whole30 with toddlers, how did you manage it when your kids went to childcare elsewhere? Did you tell them ahead of time, or have them not give him the snack provided?

Also, my 2 year old son is hungry ALL. THE. TIME. He will eat all day long if I would let him. He will sit and eat a little at each meal, want to get up to play, then go back to his plate at the table over the course of an hour. Or if he eats all of his food in one sitting, he'll be back in the kitchen 5-10 minutes later looking for more food. We try to ask him before he gets down from the table if he's still hungry, but he usually just says "all done", gets down, and still comes back for more later. 

Tips for how to get him to sit for longer?? I just don't want him to graze, as it talks about that in It Starts With Food. I'd rather break that habit now.

My son stays home with me most of the time, but he gets food in church nursery (Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights), a snack at Mom's Day Out once a week, a snack at MOPS every other week, and occasionally eats at a friend's house when he goes to play.

I always try to fill him up with good foods before he goes to those places (if I can get him to sit still long enough) but of course he still eats the snacks provided for him. 

I have a gluten intolerance and he does better without milk (no more coughing and fewer runny noses/colds for him, if any at all). Currently I don't restrict the foods other people give him, but after reading It Starts With Food and with us about to start our Whole30 as a family in mid-April, I may start restricting what he has outside of our home to gluten and dairy free. Thoughts??

I guess I'm just nervous for my son. I want him to be healthy and know that he has my sensitive stomach (I don't do well with dairy either, and my dad and brother have severe lactose intolerance). He has had diarrhea issues for the past few months, and eliminating dairy (seems okay with cheese) has really helped, but I'd like to find out more about what he can handle from our Whole30. I just don't know how others outside our home will react and if they'll respect our wishes (or if they'll give in to giving my son those foods he really wants/likes since he's a big, growing, hungry boy). 

I don't have children, but after you have decided what to do, if it includes limiting what your son will be eating, you need to be clear with the church care providers, the MOPS people, and at his play dates, etc. well in advance. If you just suddenly spring a dietary limitation on someone right when they're going to be caring for your child, they'll feel ill-prepared and stressed out, and possibly won't be able to follow your requests. However, if you give them quite a bit of time to prepare, or send along snacks for him and tell them (include a simple list, it's easier to be able to refer to!) what he's not to have, you should be good. If they don't listen to you, reinforce with them why you're making these changes - for his health! If they still don't comply, it's maybe time to change care providers/play date homes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know some people are more flexible with certain rules when it comes to toddlers and children. For example, while banana egg "pancakes" are not allowed on Whole30, they may make some for their young children; the focus is more on ingredients and less on the psychological effect of the foods. This may even translate into making a few Paleo banana muffins to be kept in the freezer at your child's daycare so he has a snack available if another child brings in cupcakes for a Birthday party. (This is something that parents of children with allergies will do: have a "safe" snack available for class parties so the child doesn't feel left out).

For daycares or other situations out of the house, PACK all meals and snacks. Explain to the childcare provider (in a daycare center,this may be classroom teachers AND the center director) that "Johnny is only to eat food from home." You may feel comfortable enough giving the daycare provider some more freedom "He's allowed to have FRESH fruit like bananas or oranges" [many daycare workers are unaware of whether or not there is sugar in any canned fruit or applesauce.] Tell the caregivers that Johnny is on an elimination diet to see if it helps improve his "tummy troubles". Depending on trust

If your child is really struggling with the changes, again, some "SWYPO" foods may be ok to help with transitons. Instead of Gerber yogurt melts, for example, Happy Family has coconut creamies which are basically the same thing. Also, things like the GoGo Squeez pouches are compliant, but they're also normal "kid" foods. Thats It Fruit bars, Larabars, RxBars, and Pressed by Kind bars may also be options [depending on nut allergies or whether or not nuts are allowed in certain areas]. They may not be encouraged for us because they can be candy bar replacements, but keeping a fruit bar in your purse so Johnny has a snack during a MOPS group isn't the end of the world.

Just a word of advice: 

I've worked in several daycare centers. Many staff members are unaware of certain aspects of dealing with food allergic children. They may pull turkey off of the bun and give it to a child with Celiac's or  ignore the "May contain..." section on a food label. In the case of vegetarians, they would serve children yogurt that contained gelatin. A lot of it was pure ignorance, but if your child(ren) are in a daycare center, I would advise setting a strict rule that only food from home is allowed. Even if you give a list of safe foods, there's likely to be little attention spent to added sugars or hidden ingredients (like wheat breadcrumbs in meatballs), or some "bending" of the rules. (Corn and peas are "vegetables" after all). 

(My experience working in daycare is the reason I hope to never have to utilize one when I have children).

• 8 months later...

We are doing Whole30 as a family, including my 3 and 4 year olds! They have always eaten mostly gluten free, natural sweeteners (maple syrup, raw honey), and no processed foods. People always comment on how impressed they are that our kids eat 85% cacao chocolate and love it, haha.  They have been going through an adjustment with no diary in the house and we have cut out stevia, so no "lemonade" for now. They have been trying new veggies and doing so well. I am so excited to see how this broadens their food palate! I also suspect a dairy/gluten sensitivity in my 3 year old, so this will be a wonderful opportunity to test this. 

3 hours ago, WholeStephForLife said:

we have cut out stevia, so no "lemonade" for now.

You can make lemonade without sweeteners.
I add a teaspoon of baking soda per lemon (it's alcaline and modifies the overall acidity) and dilute it in water. It's also cute to do with kids because it's a very bubbly chemical reaction B)

• 11 months later...

We are starting week 3 as a family and my toddler is adjusting better than my teen is to the changes.  For the first week, she (the toddler) kept asking if she ate all the cookies and gummies and could I go to the store and get more.  The teen just runs errands and sneaks food that's not compliant while he is out.  As long as he doesn't bring it into the house, he can make that decision - he is a senior in HS and thiiiiiissss close to being a full fledged adult.  All I can do at this point is be a better role model to him.  My granddaughter on the other hand (the toddler), is adjusting well, but I agree with the other poster - compliant hot dogs are a GODSEND!  She is eating fresh fruit and veggies, on my 'oh god I don't want to cook' days, I pop veggie pasta in the microwave and she scoops it up.  She has to try everything on her plate, maybe not finish it, but at the minimum try it.  She has been known to walk in while I am prepping something like sweet potatoes or chopping kale up and asked "Is that for you?  I don't like it" on first sight.  All clues that she (and I) desperately need to clean up our diets.

Archived