Fast snack for early gym folks and good post snack options?

Travis Lay

I am usually up by 5am and out the door no later than 5:30am on the way to the gym. Often I am hungry and I tend to go for a banana first thing, although I think that is slightly frowned upon during the Whole30 program. Any suggestions to satisfy and get energy flowing?

Secondly, I know taking in protein within 30 minutes of a good workout is ideal to build muscle. I love to CrossFit and if I do it at my box by the time I shower and get to work where I can prepare some eggs or something it is well past 30 minutes after my workout. And even when I go to my local 24hour fitness which is near work it is very difficult for me to get cleaned up and in to work in less than 30 minutes so I can eat.

Before this program my post workout "meal" was usually some greek yogurt with fruit mixed in. A good source of protein but not Whole30 approved. Suggestions? My best guess is to hard boil a bunch of eggs each week with those being my post workout meal.

And 1 week down, 3 more to go (and many more after that)!

If you package some cooked chicken cut in bite sized pieces, that would be a good post workout protein choice. It's not messy and can be eaten cold. If you need carbs for energy post workout, then add some cubes of sweet potato. It's an easy enough combo to package up a few days worth of PWO snacks at a time so you can just grab a container on the way out the door in the morning. You can eat it at the gym as you get ready or even in the car if the sweet potato isn't too terribly soft and you can pick up the pieces. I almost always eat a HB egg or two before the gym and a few more after. So easy and I really do like my eggs.

Hi! I just posted about this in another thread, but a super easy/portable post-WO fuel that's been working well for me are egg white/mashed plantain "pancakes". It is beyond easy to make them - mix 50% (by volume) of each ingredient in some sort of inexact way, add cinnamon and sea salt, and then cook on a griddle the way you would regular pancakes. They are delicious, don't spill or smell funky, require minimal effort to pack and contain the right nutrients to help you recover after a workout.

Hope that helps!

Hi! I just posted about this in another thread, but a super easy/portable post-WO fuel that's been working well for me are egg white/mashed plantain "pancakes". It is beyond easy to make them - mix 50% (by volume) of each ingredient in some sort of inexact way, add cinnamon and sea salt, and then cook on a griddle the way you would regular pancakes. They are delicious, don't spill or smell funky, require minimal effort to pack and contain the right nutrients to help you recover after a workout.

Hope that helps!

Those sound great for post Whole30, Hate to be a downer, but IMHO those seem like SWPO... :(

Those sound great for post Whole30, Hate to be a downer, but IMHO those seem like SWPO... :(

Hmmm...I never thought of it that way, mostly because I would never even think of using them as a "pancake" (it's been so long since I've eaten any kind of a baked good this didn't even occur to me!!) substitute for a meal and they are barely even sweet-tasting. I ONLY ever use these after a workout. They are more of a savory crepe, honestly, and they taste quite eggy...previously I've used the same ingredients in the same proportions to make the ISWF sweet potato and egg white puree, but enjoy the portability of the "pancakes" a bit more. Would it be different if I just mixed the two together and nuked it as endorsed by the program? Thoughts from others?

In any case, this is a good point (classifying a food as SWPO is probably a bit of a subjective sliding scale at some point) and if a mod thinks they're non-compliant I won't be offended if they remove my suggestion. Sorry if this has confused/de-railed people... :(

Maybe my radar went off on this one because it was called a "pancake". Maybe calling it a crepe would have seemed different when I read the original post. Maybe this egg and plantain recipe is ok? Reading it (and seeing it called a "pancake") made me think about a prior post so I just went back and searched for it. This is what Robin (moderator) had to say in one of the Breakfast Idea threads about "pancakes" made with egg, banana and almond butter. Not the exact same recipe or the same use as Snappy suggested, but I honestly don't know where we are supposed draw the line on "pancakes". I am curious about the moderator response to this one too...

Please hear this as the tough love it's intended to be. My goal is not to offend, but to enlighten and encourage you to step outside the breakfast box.

IT IS A CHEAT.

Our program guidelines clearly ask participants not to replicate their previous poor food choices with acceptable ingredients.

In addition, no Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say, “Paleo pizza.†This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved†ingredients—no coconut-flour pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don't try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely.

I think many folks ignore this because they are truly afraid of being uncomfortable for 30 days. They feel like they can hold on to something they used to know for breakfast, dessert or a "treat" when times get tough. The truth is, they are holding on to their food baggage. Take this time to grow as a food consumer! Step away from the pancakes, man up and eat some chicken. Make simple eggs and a salad with strawberries, spinach and avocado. Try some sweet potato or butternut squash hash. It won't kill you and you might surprise yourself.

Yes, I remember that post, but I think in this case, the name is just that...a name. In my head (I could totally be mistaken), it wouldn't have the appearance of a pancake except it is flat and round. The other recipe totally seems like an imitation pancake. We'll let the experts weigh in and set us straight. :) I wrap meats, salsa, avocado and other goodies in lettuce and call them a "taco", but I don't consider it an imitation taco. I just had to call them something, so I call them that.

This conversation is very interesting to me.

Pancakes were never a part of my diet prior to picking up the Whole30, so it never even occurred to me that I might be making a "paleofied" treat. To me, they're serving a very specific post-WO fuel purpose, but I can understand why that wouldn't be the case for a pancake-eater looking for a pick-me-up.

Upon reconsideration of the ingredients, the purpose of the food, and the fact that it's a "cake" and not a "puree" or "mash" (which I could have easily done instead with the exact same ingredients), I'd definitely call them a fritter or a crepe. They are certainly not a replacement for the 10 servings of vegetables we all should be eating every day... :)

This conversation is very interesting to me.

Pancakes were never a part of my diet prior to picking up the Whole30, so it never even occurred to me that I might be making a "paleofied" treat. To me, they're serving a very specific post-WO fuel purpose, but I can understand why that wouldn't be the case for a pancake-eater looking for a pick-me-up.

Upon reconsideration of the ingredients and the purpose of the food being a "cake" and not a "puree" or "mash" (which I could have easily done instead with the exact same ingredients), I'd definitely call them a fritter or a crepe. They are certainly not a replacement for the 10 servings of vegetables we all should be eating every day... :)

Oh, you know what? Pancakes were never my thing either. In fact, I've never been a breakfasty type of person. I always would rather go out for lunch or dinner and not breakfast. Maybe that is why snappy and I don't get the SWPO thing. I think there is room for personal decisions on the Whole30. For example, while nuts and dried fruits are accpetable, I don't go near them. I don't like them and I would SO much rather have a piece of meat or a larger meal so I don't snack. I find nut butters WAY too tempting so I haven't even tried them. I avoid coconut manna like the plague because it's way too tasty and conjures up thoughts of desserts.

Travis- back to your original question...

I like a hard-boiled egg pre- and chicken is a great post-workout snack. Fat is not necessary post-workout. Have a few bites of sweet potatoes if you lack energy. I have hard-boiled eggs post-workout since my breakfast is usually my post workout snack so I include more fat.

Sorry about hijacking your thread with a "pancake" debate. At least it was a friendly one.

Since it seems I started the pancake problem in the first place... ;0)

To me, the big difference here is the purpose of the food. It's not being used as a breakfast or comfort food item, doesn't sound at all like it could use some syrup and bacon (okay, everything could use bacon), and it doesn't seem to be filling an emotional need to tie into the old habits.

The diff between this one and the banana pancake (which, disclaimer, I make for my kids at least once a week as a quick and easy breakfast) is that the banana one begs for pancake trimmings (unless it's being eaten out of tupperware in a moving vehicle on the way to school, which is often the case at our house).

• 2 weeks later...

My reliable, quick and easy pre WO snack is a boiled egg and an small handful of almonds. Post WOD is a sweet potato (baked in a batch on a weekend and stored happily in the fridge) and some tuna or sardines.

I usually try to get the post WOD snack down my neck as soon as possible post WOD (when I can breath, stand up and get to my bag!)

Usually a pear or apple and some macadamia nuts. In my crossfit class, we have discussed how an apple seems to give us a boost in the gym. I have noticed the same things with pears. Blackberries and Strawberries are my 3rd option, or I will grab a banana if that is all I have available. As soon as I get to work, I kill down some boiled eggs to get some protein in.

Archived