Day 24 - HUNGRY!

rsimon

When I started Whole30, and for the first couple of weeks, I ate at meal time and felt full until the next meal. In the last week, I have been hungry all. the. time. I eat until I am full at meal time, and then an hour or two later, I'm starving again. This morning I had 2 eggs with a huge handful of spinach and diced tomatoes, 1/4 of an avocado, and a banana (around 6:30). At 9:30 I was super hungry. I ate some berries and pistachios. I'm STILL HUNGRY! What am I doing wrong???? I don't feel like I've changed anything since I started the program, so I don't know why this has suddenly happened.

I had the same problem and I think it was my metabolism speeding up.  You could try adding some starches to your breakfast, a sweet or regular potato or some squash (I usually have a container of cooked roasted baby potatoes and sweet potato fries in the fridge), and as many eggs as you can fit in your hand, probably 3-4, or another protein like sausage.  Also a huge handful of spinach is probably still not enough vegetables.  I usually keep a container of cut up peppers and some snow peas and other vegetables like cooked green beans that I can quickly add to my eggs.  I know this seems like a lot of breakfast but it works!  And maybe skip the fruit at breakfast (the sugar really doesn't last).  If you are still hungry at mid morning, try mini-meal, some protein and veggies or a few olives, skip the nuts.  Hope this helps

26 minutes ago, rsimon said:

When I started Whole30, and for the first couple of weeks, I ate at meal time and felt full until the next meal. In the last week, I have been hungry all. the. time. I eat until I am full at meal time, and then an hour or two later, I'm starving again. This morning I had 2 eggs with a huge handful of spinach and diced tomatoes, 1/4 of an avocado, and a banana (around 6:30). At 9:30 I was super hungry. I ate some berries and pistachios. I'm STILL HUNGRY! What am I doing wrong???? I don't feel like I've changed anything since I started the program, so I don't know why this has suddenly happened.

You are not eating enough in the morning, that is why you are hungry. It may have felt enough in the beginning but it will catch up with you.  When you eat eggs, they should be as many as you can hold in your hand, at minimum, so that would be 3-4 eggs or instead you could add another protein to the 2 eggs like sausage, beef or chicken. A handful of spinach does not amount to much when chewed down, I would add more dense veggies and a starchy veg would also be good.  1/4 avocado is not much fat, I would eat at least 1/2 or add another fat like some ghee.  Protein & fat will keep you full longer, so if you try to make these changes you should see an improvement. 

I would also agree with ditching the fruit, eat the other stuff first, you will find that you won't need the fruit, it will just give you a sugar rush.

Thank you both! I did have about a tablespoon of ghee in my eggs/spinach. I will try adding more bulk to my breakfast. It's just hard because my stomach feels REALLY full when I'm done with the meal. I used to snack throughout the day, so I expected this to be more of a problem in the beginning. Just came as a surprise at this point in the program.

Also, the berries and the banana and the pistachios are encouraging your hunger, not satiating it. Focus on your proteins, FATS and vegetables to keep you satisfied. Don't let fruit crowd the veggies off your plate. And many people find that eating fruit at meal 1 increases their hunger.

When you eat avocado, make it AT LEAST a half. Don't even mess with 1/4th of an avocado!

Meal 1 is crucial! It's the scaffolding for your entire day so make sure its a good one. 

Archived