I don't feel any different! Day 11.

I'm on day 11. I know that's not even halfway through the program, but I am feeling so discouraged all of a sudden! I have been following the timeline closely every day and I haven't matched it at all. I know that it's not a one-size-fits-all timeline but I literally haven't had a single "symptom" or anything from it. I feel exactly the same as I did before I started. The rules of whole30 that have changed my diet the most are eliminating added sugar and eliminating grains. I didn't eat much dairy before, but I had rice at least 3-4 times per week, and bread on the days that I didn't have rice (or both on the same days!). My diet was super carb-heavy. The added sugar generally came from sriracha and other sauces/dressings that I used. I didn't eat typical "sugary" things much besides an occasional dessert so I recognize that I probably didn't have a ton of sugar to experience a "crash" from. 

Since I started, I've been having eggs/avocado for breakfast, leftovers from the night before for lunch, and something new for dinner. My dinners have been a variety of home-made curry, greens, soups, and salads. Heavy on the vegetables and light on the meat/fruit (I am not a huge meat eater. I'm not a vegetarian by any means but I don't eat meat every day.) I have tried to follow the meal template pretty closely - always adding olive or coconut oil/coconut milk or a tablespoon of almond butter to add enough fat to my diet. The fruit I eat has mainly been citrus and bananas, and I'll eat one grapefruit or one banana with at least 2 of my meals (I usually just skip the fruit at dinner). I WILL say that I have not felt the need to snack the way I did before. So I am aware that that is a good sign, and I'm thankful for that.

The things I have been hoping this whole30 will fix are stomach aches, fatigue, and bad breakouts on my face, chest, and back (I'm 27 so I hate that I still break out so much!). I would also not complain if I managed to lose a little weight... I'm 10-15 pounds heavier than I've been through most of my adult life so far. I'm not overweight but I need to make sure that this weight gain does not continue. Overall, though, that's not a primary goal. (I haven't weighed myself during this so I do not know if I've lost weight or not, but my clothes don't feel any different)

I know I need to stick with it. I'm not even close to quitting or giving up, so that's not the issue. I am just starting to get worried that it's not going do anything! I have at least 4 giant pimples right now (sorry if that's TMI), I am just as tired as usual, and my stomach still hurts occasionally. Any advice on what I could be doing wrong? Or even if I've been doing everything "right", anything I can do better?

Thank you - I will GREATLY appreciate any and all responses! <3

Hi!

I went through the same feelings at day 13, I totally get the frustration. I made the mistake of weighing myself at day 8 and had lost 0 weight, was not feeling super energetic and was also experiencing more breakouts than normal. Literally 3 days later, I started to feel my clothing fit more loosely and my energy was more consistent throughout the day. It does get better!

If anything, celebrate the fact that you have kept your cravings and your eating in check for this long, it is no small feat and you should be proud of that. I had to remind myself of that very thing. I do suggest incorporating meat into at least 1 meal daily, if possible, and see if that has any benefit for you. 

Good luck and keep going!

If you feel discouraged on Day 11 -- then you are actually exactly on track with the time line!

Your description makes it sound like you need more veggies for breakfast, and more meat in general. You'd have to eat a heapin' lot of curry to get a palmful of protein! 

And, as you say, 11 days is not long enough to make a judgement. Hang in there! 

Most people new to Whole30 will undereat so check the template to see how you compare.  When you undereat your body will want to hold onto the fat because it is in starvation mode, trying to protect itself. If you like you can list what you have been eating the past few days and we can let you know if you are on the right track. FYI, you are right on track with the timeline days 10-11 are the hardest days, it will pass!

No need to feel disappointed because you're NOT experiencing any negative side effects!

However, to experience the BENEFITS, follow the meal template! You NEED the proteins, the fats and the vegetables. Fruit is an add on and should not replace vegetables on your plate and many people eat no fruit.

Nuts are NOT the best source of fat. Add some of the other fats, including ghee and homemade mayo and the others.

You don't have to eat "meat" at every meal. Eat eggs! Eat fish! Eat poultry! But eat a palm or two of protein at every meal (or as many eggs as you can hold in your hand) and don't skim on the protein and the fats.

The way I understand it, part of the idea is to force your body to use the more efficient fuel sources available to it, rather than the "quick" carbohydrates that disrupt blood sugar. The quick, non-dense carbs you used to eat (bread and grains) are still being provided to your body in the form of the sugars found in the fruit. While this is okay occasionally, eating fruit 2x a day is not really recommended because it doesn't teach your body to do anything differently.

17 hours ago, kruddock said:

Most people new to Whole30 will undereat so check the template to see how you compare.  When you undereat your body will want to hold onto the fat because it is in starvation mode, trying to protect itself. If you like you can list what you have been eating the past few days and we can let you know if you are on the right track. FYI, you are right on track with the timeline days 10-11 are the hardest days, it will pass!

I agree, Im on my 3rd W30, and you need to eat to the template. W30 isn't low carb, and the template is there to make sure you eat enough protein and fats too. On my first W30 I was eating twice as much as I usually eat and lost 8lb.  The mini meal after exercise is important too. Being discouraged is, maybe a sign that you are experiencing some signs of progress? Just keep going with it. If you aren't getting any negative side effects then there's no reason to stop. You are only 1/3 of the way, lots happens during the next few weeks. 

haha, thank you, everyone! I actually hadn't thought about it in the way that my feeling discouraged was actually "correct" according to the timeline - but you're all definitely right about that. I still don't feel any different (day 12 now) but I'm definitely going to stick with it. I didn't feel like 1 grapefruit + 1 banana per day (always with meals) was too much fruit but I will try cutting it down to just one piece of fruit per day.

I do think I'm eating enough so I don't think that's a problem. I go 4-5 hours between meals and I don't feel like snacking during that time so that is definitely something that's working for me. I wonder if I'm eating too much fat? Like I said, I've been making curry a lot and I use a whole can of coconut milk for each pot of curry I make. That usually lasts for 2 meals (dinner + lunch the next day). I don't add any extra fat for those meals but does that sound like too much? The meal template says 1/4 to 1/2 a can of coconut milk for the fat per meal so maybe I should cut back on that. If I split my curry into 4 meals, though, it wouldn't be enough food to keep me full :-/. 

I like to make my entire meal in one pot of food because it's easier that way but maybe I could have my curry be more of a side dish to a serving of meat or other veggies or something. I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Oh and for the record... I'm OBSESSED with curry right now haha but it's not the only thing I eat. I also make soups and greens and stir fry... again, though, 1 pot meals! 

Agree, curry is awesome for whole 30.  Just having my lunch of left over curry from last night....Pumpkin with chicken and loads of coconut milk went into it.

So I don't think it's too much fat. Haha. 

Sometimes it gets made into soup for lunch with a few extra veg if I over did it at my evening meal and only had a little left over. I make stock from bones and use it in the soup and the curry.

20 hours ago, immaginsane said:

I like to make my entire meal in one pot of food because it's easier that way but maybe I could have my curry be more of a side dish to a serving of meat or other veggies or something. I'm not sure. Any ideas?

http://www.paleonewbie.com/paleo-crockpot-chili-recipe/

This is my favorite W30 crock pot recipe - easy on the dishes, you know? 

I added more veggies than it called for to give it more of a template ratio, and topped each bowl with half an avocado. I also did a 50/50 ratio of ground beef to ground chicken. Ah-may-zing.

3 hours ago, Puckertoe said:

Agree, curry is awesome for whole 30.  Just having my lunch of left over curry from last night....Pumpkin with chicken and loads of coconut milk went into it.

That sounds DELICIOUS - I'm going to try adding pumpkin to mine! Did you use canned pumpkin? Was it pretty easy to find one without added sugar/preservatives? I am kind of a pumpkin novice - anything specific I should look for?

And Betty7, thanks for the recipe! It's supposed to snow this weekend and I LOVE having chili when it snows so I am definitely going to try that this weekend!

i used real pumpkin...the kind that is sort of greenish on the outside and that sort of mahogany yellow on the inside. I v'e never seen canned pumpkin in England. i just chop it into cube and fry it in ghee really slowly until it is cooked. adding curry spice when its half way done. it sort of goes crusty.and sweet then I add the coconut milk and chicken and cook for a while until its all cooked.

Archived