KB's Bits, Bites & Blood Sugars

Katiebird

I've been a type-1 diabetic for 30 years and am now in my mid-30s and needed something to kick start some weight loss. I'd also like to see if anything I've been eating has negative effects of any sort. I've eaten pretty healthy my whole life, but never avoided anything besides milk and recently wheat, as my blood sugars seemed more stable without it.  

I've been 'practicing' the plan for the past two weeks, monitoring my blood sugars and changing my insulin rates-which, not surprisingly have gone down by 7-10 units on most days. My blood sugars are also evening out too, so I'm excited for the long term effects! 

I'm going to officially start my 30 days on Feb 1st.

Favorite Meals and Foods

-these are "my" meals, besides those linked from Pinterest. I haven't really felt enamored with many of the book recipes yet.  I use olive oil to cook with unless another oil is stated.  My grocery bill has gone up only slightly because I'm buying lots of nuts and a little more meat each week.  I do not buy a lot of organic, grass-fed, yadda yadda as it is not in the budget.  

Dinner:

Coconut Lime Chicken  I use the basic sauce recipe but different peppers, no thickener is really needed and way less coconut cream.

Italian Turkey Sausage & Peppers  (Ground Turkey w/sausagey-spices) serve with "Italian" cauliflower rice

Cauliflower Rice-you can flavor it for every ethnic flavor!

Pasta sauce w/ Ground Turkey over Zoodles & Spaghetti Squash

Roasted Acorn squash brushed with coconut oil and a sprinkle of curry seasoning and sea salt.  Tastes like candy! 

Diced sweet potatoes sauteed in coconut oil and dusted with curry & a tiny bit of salt

Sauteed peppers, onions, brussels sprouts and zucchini topped with pasta sauce and chicken breast

Lunches:

Chicken breast, maybe a hard-boiled egg, fresh veggies and sunflower seeds on spinach w/ olive oil and vinaigrette. 

Any leftover meat with cauliflower rice and veggies

Tuna on spinach-(I do buy fancy Albacore) mix with chopped avocado, purple onions, celery and pepper.  Add a bit of THE mayo to bind it. I sprinkle on some nuts some days too. You can also stuff a 1/2 of bell pepper with this and its pretty good.

Breakfast:

Breakfast pile-One egg + 2 egg whites sauteed on mushrooms, peppers, and a pile of wilted spinach. Topped with avocado slices. Served with some berries or melon.

I also try to have some leftover sweet potato and add that for some carbs.

Quick Breakfast-microwave a sweet potato and cut up into a to-go cup and bag some fruit

Snacks:  I do not have an issue with over-eating w/ snacks, so I'm not worried about working towards the "3 meals a day only" and ts the only way to get a decent amount of calories in. 

Nuts, lots of nuts!

Fruit

Cut up veggies 

Beets

Hey @Katiebird

Welcome to Whole30! :)

I'm not sure if you've listed actual planned meals here, but some of the breakfasts & dinners are missing protein, and believe me without you'll be ready to chew on furniture.

Also, nuts we'd recommend to be eaten in moderation - they can be pretty hard on the gut, are high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids (albeit they do have some anti inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids - just not a great ratio), and are kind of hard to stop eating. They're known as a FWOB (food without brakes) in Whole30-ville. Try sticking to a closed handful every other day, max, or you may find yourself in a pickle.

Have you seen the recommended meal planning template?

Good luck - and any questions just ask!

32 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Hey @Katiebird

Welcome to Whole30! :)

I'm not sure if you've listed actual planned meals here, but some of the breakfasts & dinners are missing protein, and believe me without you'll be ready to chew on furniture.

Also, nuts we'd recommend to be eaten in moderation - they can be pretty hard on the gut, are high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids (albeit they do have some anti inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids - just not a great ratio), and are kind of hard to stop eating. They're known as a FWOB (food without brakes) in Whole30-ville. Try sticking to a closed handful every other day, max, or you may find yourself in a pickle.

Have you seen the recommended meal planning template?

Good luck - and any questions just ask!

Yes, thank you....to clarify to anyone if they actually read my posts...that is a list of what I've tried, and no they are not all complete meals.  I haven't officially started it either, I'm practicing everything since I'm diabetic and generally need to ease into new eating/calorie plans, etc.  Re: nuts, I should have used a different word...Lots = varieties.  I'm aware of my nut intake, I actually measure most things I eat and track them via MFP.  

7 hours ago, Katiebird said:

Yes, thank you....to clarify to anyone if they actually read my posts...that is a list of what I've tried, and no they are not all complete meals.  I haven't officially started it either, I'm practicing everything since I'm diabetic and generally need to ease into new eating/calorie plans, etc.  Re: nuts, I should have used a different word...Lots = varieties.  I'm aware of my nut intake, I actually measure most things I eat and track them via MFP.  

I'd recommend ditching My Fitness Pal during your Whole30. Counting macros or calories is as counter productive as weighing, in my opinion, unless and only if you need to track sugars because you're diabetic. 

It would be far preferable to use the template guidelines of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-2 thumbs of fat (or their equivalents), 1-3 cups of vegetables, and then see how you feel and adjust as needed. A big part of Whole30 is getting back in touch with your body's signals about hunger and satiety and listening to them. 

When you eat eggs, a serving is as many as you can hold in your hand. (Or supplemented with another protein such as meat.) Ditch the egg whites and eat the whole (nutrition) egg. 

Yes, I've read the guidelines...I'm a data tracker so I like to know the proper ratio of macros that enables me to lose weight :-)  and yes, as a diabetic I have to track carbs, so there's that.  As a diabetic there's generally no "listening to your hunger signals" Diabetes is fickle...you can be starving and have a blood sugar of 250, so no food for hours. It sucks.

I guess I'm more interested in doing this to see what I can eat and still maintain weight loss and my good blood glucose #s. Unlike type 2, type 1 doesn't go away by getting healthier, it just becomes cheaper by using less insulin! Well, and you may live longer with less side effects too :-)

Archived