When to reintroduce wine

jplvernon

What category is wine?

"Whole30 encourages you to follow a four-step plan to conclude the program and reintroduce foods to your diet. The suggested plan follows a 10-day framework, which starts with adding legumes and non-gluten beverages (like wine!), followed by non-gluten grains, dairy, and lastly gluten-containing grains."

http://www.thekitchn.com/why-whole30-is-really-more-like-whole40-239849

25 minutes ago, whole30_patricia said:

What category is wine?

"Whole30 encourages you to follow a four-step plan to conclude the program and reintroduce foods to your diet. The suggested plan follows a 10-day framework, which starts with adding legumes and non-gluten beverages (like wine!), followed by non-gluten grains, dairy, and lastly gluten-containing grains."

http://www.thekitchn.com/why-whole30-is-really-more-like-whole40-239849

Alchohol is not in the Whole30 sample reintroduction linked to above. It looks like thekitchn.com just added that in on their own. 

http://whole30.com/step-two-finished

And it isn't a suggested plan, it's a sample schedule.. You create your own schedule based in part on what foods you think you might ever eat again, even infrequently and also considering your reactions  Some people separate out different kinds of non-gluten grains or different varieties of dairy (cow vs sheep, etc).

The Whole30 book has more detailed information on reintroducing alchohol and sugar, which are their own categories (except for small amounts of added sugar we encounter in real world foods.

You can Google Whole30 - reintroduce alchohol and get links to LOTs of discussions on this forum, e.g. 

It depends on how you think alcohol might affect your food decisions. It's not on the "official" schedule but you can divide that up any way you like, for example, instead of reintroducing all dairy products, do just cheeses, or just unclarified butter and heavy cream. If you wanted to do the same with alcohol, you would reintroduce it alone, by itself, without any confounding factors like a gluten-containing dessert or a cheese plate. I personally did it without adding any additional non-compliant foods. I decided to have a nice Whole30 dinner and I had 2 glasses of white wine after.

After that, assess your physical symptoms and your food cravings. I found that after having wine, it increased my cravings for a.) more wine and b.) other foods I typically associated with relaxing on the couch, so I went back to the program to try to get back on track with the not-eating-while-doing-other-things part. You might find something similar, or that when you drink you want to eat ALL THE THINGS, or maybe you enjoy it and that's it and you move on. 

I'm going to wait until after I've reintroduced the 4 main groups simply for the reason that I don't want to be confused about what is having an impact on me. IE: Was it the cheese or the wine that are making me tired the next day? Etc.. I'm treating it as its own separate group and doing it last.

Am wrapping up my first Whole 30.   While I haven't weighed myself, I don't think I have met any of my goals, but it has been a terrific experience and I intend to maintain my whole 30 foundation over time--- THANKS SO MUCH

As I begin my reintroduction, is there a recommended artificial sweetener(for my coffee).  The amount sugar added to our processed food is staggering, a real eye opener, and I want to continue avoiding as much sugar as possible.

Secondly, you reference using Natural Agave Tequila, how can you tell if it is Natural Agave?  The labeling on alcohol is nearly non existant

rEH

• 1 year later...

Hi, everyone. If I always got acid reflux from wine, is there any point of reintroducing to see if I have a reaction? I guess I'm curious to see if it's wine combined with other things, but not sure I want to waste time on it. Thanks!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Marj K said:

Hi, everyone. If I always got acid reflux from wine, is there any point of reintroducing to see if I have a reaction? I guess I'm curious to see if it's wine combined with other things, but not sure I want to waste time on it. Thanks!

For sure, if you think you're ever going to want wine again, it would be worthwhile to reintroduce it and see if you have a reaction. If you always have wine and crackers or wine and cheese, you can test each alone and then try combos as a further reintroduction and see what happens.

Archived