Almost fainted

Jwatk

I am on day 12 of whole 30 and just came dangerously close to fainting. My vision went blurry and I couldn't keep my head up. My hands were shaking and my heart was beating so hard and fast that I almost called 911. Only after eating a banana, drinking Gatorade and sitting in the cold outside for 10 minutes did I start to feel better. No one was home so I had to knock on my neighbors door to make sure I didn't pass out alone. This was terrifying and has never happened before. It was obviously low blood sugar and I'm seriously considering stopping Whole 30 due to this experience. Today I ate:

B- 2 eggs, turkey sausage and hashbrowns

L- large arugula salad with peppers, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, bacon and a hard boiled egg

S- apple pie Lara bar with almond butter

D- large spinach salad wth buffalo chicken, Brussels sprouts and tessemaes ranch

i realize I did not eat fruit- could that be why? If so teetering on that fine of a line between being OK and passing out seems really dangerous to me. 

I don't want to give up the Whole 30 but need to also be safe.. thoughts? 

@Julia Watkins That sounds really scary! Glad you're ok!

I've found that I personally need starchy vegetables at every meal. Throughout most my live, I've dealt with low blood-sugar and low blood pressure. The first week of my first Whole 30, August of 2015, I did not eat enough starchy vegetables and had some lightheaded moments like you described.

It looks like your lunch is a little light on protein. 

And for a snack, I usually prefer some form of jerky or meat stick with a piece of fruit, or Epic bars. Larabars are bit too much like candy to me, SO SWEET.

I'm curious what time of the day you had this lightheaded moment? (If I had to guess, I'd say your blood sure probably plummeted sometime after your snack and before dinner?)

Don't give up on your whole 30 yet! But also, make sure you're drinking enough water and always carrying a meat snack and a piece of fresh fruit with you.

It looks like you're really just not eating enough in general. Breakfast is very light on veg and fat, and lunch has hardly any protein. When you're having eggs as a main protein, you need to have as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping. For most women that's 3-4. Salads have to be practically in buckets. Also, nutrition is cumulative so if you've had a couple days like that, it will definitely catch up to you. 

Glad you're feeling better. 

9 hours ago, Julia Watkins said:

i realize I did not eat fruit- could that be why? If so teetering on that fine of a line between being OK and passing out seems really dangerous to me. 

Yeah, you did. There's fruit in that larabar - and sugar wise it packs quite the punch, even if it is naturally occurring sugar, which is why they're recommended for emergencies only - people become reliant on them otherwise, and they tend to prop up sugar dragons... 

I'm with @laura_juggles - make sure you've adequate protein in each meal, and be generous with the fat - fat truly is your friend here, and alongside the protein will really help to keep those blood sugar levels stable, avoiding any lightheadedness going forward.

Don't forget to stay hydrated (a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily, is the recommendation), and also remember to salt your food - sodium levels can drop by up to 75% when switching to a whole foods diet so you need too replace that in your cooking.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses. Here is a bit more info:

I have never had an experience like this before or any issues with hypoglycemia.

I had this low blood sugar attack less than an hour after eating my dinner. I took a fiber pill before dinner, because I had not pooped in 4 days. It worked quickly and I used the bathroom right after eating and then got into the tub to relax. I started feeling weird in the tub- nervous/uncomfortable and sort of out of my body (this all aligns with low blood sugar). I went downstairs to grab some strawberries and turned on the TV. I quickly felt dizzy and my head went completely limp twice- as if I had fallen asleep sitting up but was completely awake. I got scared and picked up my phone- couldn't see it at all and my hands were shaking to the point I couldn't use any buttons. Then my heart started racing faster than it ever has and I ran to get a banana and ate it on the front porch with my neighbors.  I could barely stand up. Before all of this, I felt great and was very satisfied with my dinner/finally feeling like I was over the hump of bad cravings. 

It's really odd to me to have experienced this so soon after eating. I wonder if it could be related to pooping for the first time after 4 days? And maybe the toxins that were released/still in my body?? 

After this whole experience, it took about two hours to feel normal, but I still felt totally weak. I woke up this morning also feeling extremely weak and depleted along with a dull headache. 

So to be clear- if I am experiencing low blood, putting sugar back into my body is not the answer? It's my understanding that glucose is what helps this, not fat or protein.  

Oh PLEASE put sugar back in your body! I'm sorry but that is scary!  After pulling people out of hypoglycemic shock at work there is nothing scarier to me.  You definitely had the symptoms.  I read ISWF and they talk about your body switching over from using sugar for energy to using fat for energy...but what about in the mean time when your body isn't sure where to get the energy and there is no sugar??  I would HIGHLY recommend you eat the approved sugars  and Carby veggies until your body adjusts.  Safety is more important than adjusting quickly or curbing your sugar dragons.

I actually had some light headed ness when I started also.  I attributed it to low blood pressure and low blood sugar.  My symptoms weren't as bad as yours.  I did almost exactly what you did to fix it. It made the lightheadedness go away.  I still eat starchy veggies with every breakfast to be safe and I have no more lightheadedness anymore.  Also it could be low blood pressure.  I think mine had a lot to do with electrolyte imbalance.  If you're taking all that sugar out of your blood, it needs to be replaced with something to keep fluid in your veins!  I drank coconut water.  Be safe!  Watch for symptoms!

Potatoes and Larabars both give a hefty blood sugar bump, I really don't think that's the issue.

ETA: You can get a free blood glucose meter and check your blood sugar, if your levels are that crazy I would recommend switching to lower glycemic foods at a steadier pace, definitely stop with the larabars and white potatoes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+blood+sugar+monitor&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

2 hours ago, Julia Watkins said:

So to be clear- if I am experiencing low blood, putting sugar back into my body is not the answer? It's my understanding that glucose is what helps this, not fat or protein.  

Julia, check back with your medical professional or doctor before you proceed. 

I worked side by side with a hypoglycemic (actually had the metabolic condition and not due to taking meds) and I had T2.  We treated our conditions in similar ways but my testimony or anyone else's cannot take the place of your doctor.    

I saw your new thread.  I don't tell anyone what to do with their blood sugar. Some of these reactions are brought on by multiple  meds  with blood sugar conditions and bodies  trying to adust to a new way of eating.  It can end up in a total cluster - snowball rolling down the mountain.  Go to the doctor.  That is all. 

1 hour ago, Beth ann e said:

Oh PLEASE put sugar back in your body! I'm sorry but that is scary!  After pulling people out of hypoglycemic shock at work there is nothing scarier to me.  You definitely had the symptoms.  I read ISWF and they talk about your body switching over from using sugar for energy to using fat for energy...but what about in the mean time when your body isn't sure where to get the energy and there is no sugar??  I would HIGHLY recommend you eat the approved sugars  and Carby veggies until your body adjusts.  Safety is more important than adjusting quickly or curbing your sugar dragons.

I actually had some light headed ness when I started also.  I attributed it to low blood pressure and low blood sugar.  My symptoms weren't as bad as yours.  I did almost exactly what you did to fix it. It made the lightheadedness go away.  I still eat starchy veggies with every breakfast to be safe and I have no more lightheadedness anymore.  Also it could be low blood pressure.  I think mine had a lot to do with electrolyte imbalance.  If you're taking all that sugar out of your blood, it needs to be replaced with something to keep fluid in your veins!  I drank coconut water.  Be safe!  Watch for symptoms!

Thank you! Yes, this is definitely what happened. My mom is a naturopath and "tapped into" what was going on- she said I also had a severe electrolyte imbalance.  

8 minutes ago, Julia Watkins said:

The issue is 100 percent my diet, and I think its dangerous to say otherwise.  

Did you read what I posted Julia?  I have had the exact same thing happen after a hot bath, putting on blinders and refusing to consider other causes won't help you.

57 minutes ago, Elcy said:
1 minute ago, Elcy said:

Did you read what I posted Julia?  I have had the exact same thing happen after a hot bath, putting on blinders and refusing to consider other causes won't help you.

Yes, I read what you wrote as well as the part about not eating Lara Bars or potatoes. This is the exact opposite of what my doctor told me, and this was not at all related to my bath or any blinders that I have on. It is frankly very irresponsible to be responding as you know the bath is what did this and that I'm just not acknowledging that. Please stop commenting on this post. 

My knees buckled and I fell down on a dirt road. I biffed it, ate another dirt sandwich right there.  No one was around. I was about 2 weeks into my Whole 30. My sis-in-law is T1 since birth.  We've had to help her many, many times. It is scary as hail.  She wears a pump now.  Delicate health is so patently unfair.  

When things get intense, I think of a song. The fire dept. actually arrives quicker than anyone else or the Search and Rescue. Remind to tell about the time I called Search and Rescue.  They sent out a plane. We haven't got the time now.  I'm thinking 5-1-5-0...Somebody call the PoPo but I won't be doing that any time soon, again. :ph34r:

Julia, I am only trying to help.

With all due respect, you seem to be really questioning if the W30 is right for you.  You've been given some great advice on how to better improve your experience.

I CURED pre-diabetes so I have a very good idea about what it takes to stabilize blood sugar.  Potatoes and Larabars are not the solution, I promise you.

7 minutes ago, Elcy said:

Julia, I am only trying to help.

With all due respect, you seem to be really questioning if the W30 is right for you.  You've been given some great advice on how to better improve your experience.

I CURED pre-diabetes so I have a very good idea about what it takes to stabilize blood sugar.  Potatoes and Larabars are not the solution, I promise you.

Clearly potatoes and Larabars are not the solution. I passed out when I had eaten them that day. 

I am addressing you stating that I have blinders on so I can't accept that the hot bath did it. I consulted with a medical doctor today who told me THANK GOD you ate those potatoes and that Larabar or things could have been worse. He said I needed more glucose in my blood stream, which is directly related to my bodies ability to control insulin levels. Again, I have never had any sugar or insulin issues before. He said this experience was 100 percent tied to the diet, and to still eat three normal sized meals for my size and to experience this, it teeters on too fine of an edge to be safe. Beyond that, I'm very discouraged by the responses I received immediately trying to diagnose what was wrong and practically shaming for challenging any of that. This experience has solidified that the Whole30 and its community is absolutely not for me.  

1 hour ago, Elcy said:
25 minutes ago, Elcy said:

Yes, I read what you wrote as well as the part about not eating Lara Bars or potatoes. This is the exact opposite of what my doctor told me, and this was not at all related to my bath or any blinders that I have on. It is frankly very irresponsible to be responding as you know the bath is what did this and that I'm just not acknowledging that. Please stop commenting on this post. 

It's very interesting that you can assure me that sugar in not the answer and that it was really just the bath. I guess my blinders are on. This is SO ridiculous. Wow. 

It could be a combo. internal factors like low blood sugar, electrolyte imbalance pushed over the edge by external factors like the bath. If you like pickles, I find pickle juice to be a nice way to get some electrolytes. Also, kiwi is another fruit that has good levels of potassium (like the banana).

Good luck and I hope you can pin down the causes to prevent it from happening again.

Julia, I'm so glad you're feeling better now!

I have no medical knowledge about hypoglycemia or anything like it... I'm merely speaking from my own experience. But how are you emotionally? Have you ever had anxiety before? The symptoms you are talking about remind me a lot of when I have had panic attacks. When I don't feel myself and know something is off, it always makes them escalate, it's a scary thing. Sometimes its little things that can set me off too, sometimes I can't even pinpoint what triggers them.

Archived