Almost fainted

Jwatk

42 minutes ago, Oakley710 said:

Julia, I'm so glad you're feeling better now!

I have no medical knowledge about hypoglycemia or anything like it... I'm merely speaking from my own experience. But how are you emotionally? Have you ever had anxiety before? The symptoms you are talking about remind me a lot of when I have had panic attacks. When I don't feel myself and know something is off, it always makes them escalate, it's a scary thing. Sometimes its little things that can set me off too, sometimes I can't even pinpoint what triggers them.

No, I do not have high levels of anxiety and was feeling great on this day. I do not have a history of panic attacks and there is no link to anxiety and a low blood sugar attack (hypoglycemia), which I had for the first time in my life. My doctor said this was 100% what I was (and wasn't) eating, which is why I am not continuing despite many people on this thread saying to keep going. 

11 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

Medical issues trump whole 30 for sure. Take care of yourself first always! One aspect of the program is about learning about how food affects you, so you certainly learned about that. Just out of curiosity, did the doctor tell you to eat grains for more glucose?

I don't want to open up a huge other can of worms, but he said he does not agree with Whole30. He said the time between when your body is completely off sugar before you get fat adapted, your body can freak out and not know where to get its energy. He understands the idea of healing the gut, which was my purpose of doing this, but he'd never recommend Whole30 to do so. 

I'm so sorry you had this horrible experience Julia.  I bear witness that you were treated with much unkindness.  

I'm glad you saw a doctor.  That was exactly what I was worried might happen to someone; even before I read your post.

I wish you could stay and keep trying, but no one would tell you to go against medical advice.

All the best!!

17 hours ago, Julia Watkins said:

I don't want to open up a huge other can of worms, but he said he does not agree with Whole30. He said the time between when your body is completely off sugar before you get fat adapted, your body can freak out and not know where to get its energy. He understands the idea of healing the gut, which was my purpose of doing this, but he'd never recommend Whole30 to do so. 

No one is challenging that. Yes of course there is natural sugar in what you listed. However in my case, the time in which my body had drastically less sugar before it becomes fat adapted, my body freaked out and had a medical emergency in the form of a hypoglycemic attack. I'm not sure why so many people feel the need to argue against what my doctor has told me and what I need to do to keep myself safe..? 

There is so much on these forums saying "keep going don't give up" but it's important for people to also realize that not one thing works for everyone. I'm tired of being treated as if I did something wrong, am negative, or just don't get it. 

I'm not sure why you would take what i said as an argument. I already stated medical needs trump whole 30 and to take care of yourself. In your post you stated your doctor said "body is completely off sugar." I wanted to clarify, especially for other people reading these threads for information as newer people to the program are often confused on what "sugar" means, that natural sugars are still a very important part of the program and it's not a "sugar" free or no carb program as designed. 

• Moderators

@Jwatk It sounds like you got what you were looking for from your doctor and this thread is now just deteriorating into a back and forth argument.  You originally came looking for help on why you may have nearly fainted (altho in subsequent posts you do say you actually fainted so I'm not clear which it was) and it seems that you have now gotten that information from your doctor (or your naturopath mom), so I'd say that this thread has run it's course.

Take care of yourself and do what you need to do to feel better!

Archived