Weight Loss Frustration for Two Men

HELP! We are two men, both 50, married, and living in a city where we have access to amazing produce and organic butcher meats. We followed Whole30 for the entire 30 days and were strict adherents to all of the rules and restrictions. We both love to cook, eat relatively healthy every day, and are both in good health. We are hoping to lose 10-15 pounds each to get back to a really great weight for each of us — somewhere around 150. That is ideal.

THE GOOD NEWS. Some pain caused by slight arthritis in my hand disappeared around Day 3-4 and has not returned. Amazing news. I had been waking in pain every morning for 6 months and now I am convinced it is due to food. We are embarking on introducing food back into our diet tomorrow to see what might be causing the problem, but I can thank Whole30 for helping me figure this one out. In addition, everything else is better: sleep, rising in the morning, concentration, digestion, overall emotional state, no crashing mid-afternoon, delicious meals, and an overall feeling of wellness. 

THE BAD NEWS: Neither of us lost any weight at all. Granted, we are not exercising. We walk our dog, but winter and torrential rain for nearly every day in our normally sunny climate has created a problem for us. We intend to go back to exercising (hikes, bike rides, etc), but neither of us can believe that exercise - or LACK OF - is the culprit here, especially since we have lost weight in other ways in the past with diet alone. Weight Watchers was particularly good for me. 

Here is the real question for all of you — I cannot believe that cutting out alcohol, dairy, wheat, legumes, gluten, all sugar, and soy and everything else Whole 30 forbids did not result in weight loss. It makes no sense to us at all. Frankly, it made us depressed. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. (Also, I know our metabolism has slowed down, but still... reducing all of those things, many of which we regularly partake should result in SOME weight loss, no?) Thank you community!

The weight aspect is such a small aspect of your overall health, especially if you re-read your AWESOME list of benefits in the Good News paragraph.  Seriously, re-read that paragraph.
Take a step back and look at the big picture.

That being said, weight loss is never a foregone conclusion on the Whole30.  I'd even venture to say it can be relegated to the category of "happy accident" for those who experience it.  Yes, on a Whole30 we cut out a lot of foods.  But, we also encourage people to eat *enough* food to support body size and activity level, and stave off cravings for non-compliant stuff.  Depending on how a person interprets these meal template recommendations, this can be more than enough food for that person to remain weight stable.
Over time, as Whole30 habits are ingrained and maintained, the issue of weight can be addressed more specifically, perhaps by reducing the amount of food on one's plate.

• Moderators

So your scale weight didn't change... do your clothes fit differently?  Do you have a brighter shine in your eyes?  Is your skin glowing?  Thirty days seems like FOREVER when you're doing the Whole30 but it's not really very long at all and depending on what sort of diet you ate with before (SAD, calorie restriction) your body may be holding on to all the nutrients that you give it in an effort to build up for the next time nutrients incoming decrease.  Stay the course, keep going and your body will start to trust you and let go of any weight that it needs to... (note that I said 'it needs to', not 'you want it to'.).

16 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

So your scale weight didn't change... do your clothes fit differently?  Do you have a brighter shine in your eyes?  Is your skin glowing?  Thirty days seems like FOREVER when you're doing the Whole30 but it's not really very long at all and depending on what sort of diet you ate with before (SAD, calorie restriction) your body may be holding on to all the nutrients that you give it in an effort to build up for the next time nutrients incoming decrease.  Stay the course, keep going and your body will start to trust you and let go of any weight that it needs to... (note that I said 'it needs to', not 'you want it to'.).

Scale weight, body shape, clothes fitting - all of those things are WHY I chose Whole30, so no, that did not happen. As I said before, we are THRILLED with how the rest of it worked out, but seriously wonder how it is possible to not lose any weight at all given the things we cut out that are supposedly so terrible. Thank you for your response. We also are careful about portions. 

3 hours ago, silvertim said:

but seriously wonder how it is possible to not lose any weight at all given the things we cut out that are supposedly so terrible

They're all potentially terrible for your health and longevity, not automatically terrible for your waistline.

• Moderators

Is it possible that you are under eating?  It happens often because the foods that people are now eating are highly satiating and some are historically foods people are fearful of (fat).

It's possible that you just need more time with the program as I said above. It's possible you WANT to lose that weight but that your body does not... 

I hadn't considered the possibility of UNDEReating. Interesting. That could be. Here's what I'm doing -

Breakfast — 2-3 eggs scrambled, sautéed spinach with garlic and onion in ghee, homemade sausage; coffee with homemade coconut milk

Lunch - grilled chicken with roasted veggies (beets, parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions) and an apple

Dinner - usually a meat of some kind (pork or beef or fish), with salad or greens, and roasted veggies and avocado

Every day is a variation of this, with the occasional snack of banana, withcashews, blueberries, coconut, & unsweetened applesauce (monkey salad it's called!) 

• Moderators

You could probably stand to eat more veggies at breakfast and your lunch doesn't show fat... not sure what portion sizes are but do try and make your meals match the template for protein, fat and veggies.  starchy carbs are recommended to be a fist sized serving a day to start with unless you're very active... 

Also, no no to the monkey salad... ditch that and make your meals heartier... if you have room to snack on fruit and nuts, then you have room to make your meals bigger.... You want your meals to last you 4-5 hours without needing to snack in between.

Archived