"Keto" low carb and Whole 30 - running


DrewB

Recommended Posts

I am on Day 28 and have been feeling good. Almost a week ago I decided to start paying attention to how many carbs I am eating and trying to choose low carb veggie and fruit selections. I've adjusted my macros to 10% carb, 30% protein and 70% fat. I've been feeling good! 

But today I tried to do a long run (20 miles) and felt like I was back at the beginning of the Whole 30 with no energy in my run and I got leg cramps. I only made it 12.5 miles. I had managed to get my runs back and felt good during a 15 mile run two weeks ago but I ate sweet potato the day prior and now I'm avoiding high carb veggies like sweet potato and squash.

I've been told that you do not get fat adapted on a whole 30 diet because you still consume a high number of carbs through the starchy veggies and fruit. Is this true??

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kirkor said:

It depends on each person's physiology as well as the relative amount of starchy veg + carbs that you eat overall.  Are you looking to continue LCHF after your Whole30 is complete?

Yes I do. I'm sticking with a whole 30 diet, only adding back a couple of things and then keeping it low carb hug fat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
14 hours ago, DrewB said:

 

I've been told that you do not get fat adapted on a whole 30 diet because you still consume a high number of carbs through the starchy veggies and fruit. Is this true??

 

Fat adaptation is your body's ability to switch back and forth from fat to sugars for fuel. 

From what I understand for most people is that during an endurance event such as a long run, unless you've been doing this a long time, you probably do not yet know exactly how to fuel yourself and your body may not be as efficient as it could be for fueling with fat as an endurance athlete.

Why are you eliminating carbs? You may want to reconsider that you were feeling great and performing great when you were including that bit of starch and now that it's gone, your performance isn't as solid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Fat adaptation is your body's ability to switch back and forth from fat to sugars for fuel. 

From what I understand for most people is that during an endurance event such as a long run, unless you've been doing this a long time, you probably do not yet know exactly how to fuel yourself and your body may not be as efficient as it could be for fueling with fat as an endurance athlete.

Why are you eliminating carbs? You may want to reconsider that you were feeling great and performing great when you were including that bit of starch and now that it's gone, your performance isn't as solid.

Ladyshanny I've decided to start watching carbs to get in more of a fat burning state. And I am currently reading the book Grain Brain which talks about all the negative effects of carbs on your health.  Granted, I totally get that there are healthy carbs from veggies but it talks about the effects of too many carbs on your brain and overall health.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
11 minutes ago, DrewB said:

Ladyshanny I've decided to start watching carbs to get in more of a fat burning state. And I am currently reading the book Grain Brain which talks about all the negative effects of carbs on your health.  Granted, I totally get that there are healthy carbs from veggies but it talks about the effects of too many carbs on your brain and overall health.

Interesting. You're definitely free to do as you please, but I suspect they are referring to "carbs" as the hoardes that most people get on a non-stop basis because  the entire SAD is based on grains and sugar. Do they really mean that the carbohydrates from veggies, fruits and starchier veggies poorly impact most people? Just curious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.