Baby Corn on Day 27!

CaTo

I'm on Day 27, have been following Whole30 to the letter.  I went for Vietnamese at lunch, and ordered steamed ginger chicken (no sauce) and steamed mixed vegetables.  The veggies came with tofu.  I was so concerned with avoiding the tofu that I realized too late that I'd just eaten a baby corn.  Do I really have to restart?  That seems extreme.  For what it's worth, I don't feel any different (it's been almost 10 hours).  Thanks.

I'm just starting my whole30 (only on day 3) so I'm no expert, but from what I've read in the book and understand from other forum posts - any ingestion of something non-compliant is grounds for an immediate restart if your goal is to do the Whole30 and reintroduction to learn how your body reacts to certain food. We're also all adults and can decide for ourselves whether to restart or keep going! The decision is yours - but if you're wanting an authentic Whole30 experience, the answer is sadly yes, restart. 

it only takes a small amount of something to make the reset not fully achieved, however the '30 days' that is recommended is only because doing it for 60 would be too long, and doing it for 15 might mean that for some people their systems hadn't fully cleared of 'bad things' - 30 days is really fairly arbitrary, but that's what the plan revolves around - a Whole 30.  it's possible that you've not had corn for long enough, including days prior to W30, that your system is completely clear of it, and that you might count this as a reintroduction of sorts (if you know that you didn't have anything else off plan) - however, you could aslo start a corn only exclusion restart from day 27 - do other reintroductions after day 30 as normal.  As you get nearer the 30 day target, it gets harder to jusstify a restart over something small, but ultimately it's up to you, and your situation.  You might decide to stop there, and completely start another whole30 from the begining of Feb?

Thanks.  I hadn't eaten corn since late summer, so it is fair to say it should have been completely out of my system before day 27.  The tofu was arranged on the side of the plate, so it didn't look as if it had been cooked together with the veggies - that's the best I can answer on that point.   In the end I decided to finish out the Whole 30 as originally planned.  My alcohol reintroduction late last week was such a shock to my system that I'm relieved to be on the in-between days now, before trying the next ingredient tomorrow.  I may very well just end up doing a slow, rather extended reintroduction as so far I feel much better on Whole 30 than off it!

Archived