I'm uncomfortable with so much food!

Leajea

Please advise. I'm discouraged. I want to feel better and see some results. I feel too full even stuffed after meals when I eat the full portion sizes of the template, i.e. Palm size protein, 2x more veggies including green something, fat and sometimes fruit. If I eat less to be comfortable then I'm hungry before time for next meal. My stomach has been bloated most of the time on this plan I'm on day 24 now. I had more energy the first half but now I just tired a lot. I haven't seen any results except more energy in the first half. I'm not sleeping enough. If I go to bed earlier I wake up earlier so I'm getting maybe 7 hours. My dermatitis hasn't improved at all. It flares every two days and only calms down because I use steroid cream. I read some other posts about keeping a food journal so I will do that from now on. I've cut out eggs and will stop nuts and then nightshades. How long should I stop each one before reintroducing each one? I'm 76 years old and usually eat small meals more often, like 5-6 a day. My snacks are real food like a few nuts, meat stick, fruit, cut up veggies and eggplant dip. Older people I know agree they can't eat large meals anymore so how can I manage this without feeling so full and uncomfortable? 

• Administrators

Hi @Leajea - we don't want you to stuff yourself so that you feel uncomfortable and the fact that you are hungry early when you don't leads me to believe you need to work on meal composition.

Could you give a couple days of typical meals including portions, veggie types, fat sources? 

Note that fruit is optional, if you're full at the end of a meal, you do not have to consume it. The recommendation is up to two fist-sized servings so the minimum amount in that range is.........zero. :) 

Okay, here is two days a meals. 

M-1 Turkey kale butternut squash onion kale hash about 2 cups cooked in 1 T coconut oil

M-2. Tuna salad 1can tuna ½ c celery ½ Apple ½ onion ½ avocado 

M-3. 1 ½ lamp chops, 1 cup W30 butternut squash soup, 2/3c W30 cauliflower rice, 1 ½ c salad greens, tomato, pepper, cuke, olive oil and vinager 

M-1. 8:30 am 1 ½ c turkey hash (above), 1c berries & banana with 3T coconut milk

M-2  Salad with 2-3 oz ahi tuna, ¼ c each avocado, grapefruit, radish, Olive oil and vinager. I ate this at 12:30 and wasn't hungry until 5:30

M-3  3.8 oz chicken breast, ¾ c red potato, chicken gravy, ¼ avocado.

Post workout meal- 2 hours later- 3 oz chicken breast, 2 T gravy, ½ c butternut squash soup, ½ c cauliflower rice, ¾ c mixed salad with oil and vinager

the last 4 meals were smaller ones and I felt better this way. I eat fruit at the end of a meal because I like that little bit of sweetness. But not every meal. Is that contrary to the ideals?

Thank you ladyshanny for trying to help me. 

I think ladyshanny was implying that you could skip the fruit in order to not feel stuffed at meals. What you are doing looks fine-including fruit as part of a meal and not having it push veggies of the plate. Although some people report fruit actually makes them hungrier.

How is your water and liquid intake? Are you salting your foods?

In general, protein and fat keep you feeling full longer...you might try bumping fat intake up a smidge.  

Also, my personal opinion, since everybody is different, if 4 smaller but well built meals works for you, I'd say stick with that instead of forcing 3 uncomfortable meals.

Thanks slc_melissa for replying. I don't always have fruit as I said but it adds a hint of sweetness which is nice. How much fat is appropriate? I'm 5'4" and 110 lbs. is 1 thumb about a tablespoon? I eat 1-2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil or olive oil in cooking per meal and 3 tablespoons of coconut milk in my decaf in the morning and avocado in 1-2x a day. Plus a few nuts as a snack sometimes. I try to drink 55-65 ounces of water, kombucha, and herbal tea but it isn't always that much. 

Ive not seen any of the changes people talk about. I understand that it takes longer for some but I thought I'd notice something. My naturopath says I have too much inflammation and a fungus overgrowth. She suggested I cut out nuts and take turmeric. So that's next. After reintroducing foods slowly I will stay as close to Whole30 as possible while we go on vacation and will cut out nuts. 

Any other ideas? I really appreciate them. 

Oh, I'm a big fan of fruit as well, I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing fruit-wise. (Actually, I don't particularly see anything that jumped out at me from your meals at all.....but I'm not expert, just an enthusiast.)

Some-to-much of the cooking fat can get left in the pan.  You're on the smaller side, so presumable your hands are pretty small as well.....I was thinking on the range of bumping up the meals that have like 1/4 an avocado to 1/3-1/2 an avocado.  (But there are other meals you are eating a half already.)  Do you like olives?  You can add a few here and there.  Shredded (unsweetened) coconut can be added to things here and there for a little more fat.  If your M 1 don't include an extra fat besides the cooking fat, that is where I would start.

Maybe you can pay attention to certain proteins or combos of food that seem to be filling but not on the over-stuffing side.  You mentioned that the Meal 2 with tuna, avocado, and olive oil (and veggies) was pretty filling.  Could be the multiple fat sources, could be the tuna?  

I'd second the cutting out the nuts - although they are a fat source, they are less than ideal, and for me personally they just make me really hungry and are not filling at all.

If you like turmeric, here's something I really like to do (I drink it in the lunch/afternoon):

Make a mix of spices with 2 parts turmeric, 1 part cinnamon, dash each of pepper, clove, nutmeg, sometimes ginger.  Adjust as desired.  

I heat up a combo of coconut milk and water.  (Probably 1 part coconut milk to 4 parts water.  I freeze the rest of a can of coconut milk in ice cube trays and use 1-2 of those.)  Add in the spices (1-3 tsp), mix together, and drink!

Good luck!

Thanks slc_melissa for your thoughts and ideas. I want to try the turmeric drink but I have a question. Do you make the coconut milk and water mix add the spices then add more coconuT milk ice cubes? Or is that what you mix with the water? 

I've got 3 more days to go, yay! 

Is snacking alright as long as it's real food and not "no brakes" food? Like during Super Bowl party? Like spinach artichoke dip with cut veggies?

Try to make snacking a mini-meal. (Protein, fats, veggies.) I'm not sure the moderators would give you a pass on snacking for super bowl Sunday, but I would. (It's not a I-can't-do-anything-withmy-friends-in-a-food-and-social-sense program). But I would try to limit when I eat. Like, not unlimited snacking through the entire game, but eat a"meal" within the second quarter through halftime range.

Sorry I was really unclear about what I do with the turmeric drink.

Once I've frozen the coconut ice cubes, for subsequent days i will melt an coconut cube in the microwave, add more hot water and spices, and drink the entire thing hot. (Somehow i never mentioned that it is a warm to hot drink.....it doesn't sound appealing cold at all to me.) I freeze the coconut milk so one can will last 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for the "pass", I'm off and running. Sunday is my first day of reintroduction so I'm starting a glass of wine. So bad snacks aren't even an option. But I get your comments about all game snacking. 

Thanks for clarifying. I need turmeric so I will try that drink, it sounds yummy.

By the way, what is your opinion about bread or gluten free bread if grains are okay?

I am gluten intolerant, so I never re-intro regular bread.  However, I do occasionally partake in GF breads for various reasons (Post Whole30, just to be clear for anyone jumping into the thread!).  I try to pay attention to labels - there is some craaazy ingredient lists on some of the breads, and I also avoid soy as much as possible.  The GF breads I've tried have been really hit and miss - many of them fall apart really easily (turns out gluten binds things together) and aren't very convenient if you're making a sandwich, as you end up holding the fixings in your hands as your bread crumbles to your feet.  It was worth it to me to try a few brands to see if there was something I liked.  I also think they've gotten better over the past few years.  One or two slices every now again don't bug me (personally), but I don't consume them often or on multiple back-to-back days.  

Archived