W30 & InstantPot

socalmama

And like magic, here is the thread!:)

To get you started, look at myheartbeets.com, http://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-whole30-recipes/ (100 Whole30recipes!)

And here are 40 more: http://acalculatedwhisk.com/whole30-instant-pot-recipes/

Also, nomnompaleo has instant pot directions for many of their wonderful recipes. (Make sure you check the ingredients as not all their recipes are Whole30, but they can be easily modified.)

I just got my Instant Pot and already love it. I started with bone broth (chicken bones) using the Nom Nom Paleo recipe as a general guideline.

Then I poached FROZEN chicken breasts, following a YouTube video, as I figured that was a good survival skill for evenings when I forgot to defrost. :)

Then I made chili (no recipe, just followed what I'd normally do on the stove, only without beans) and that was fabulous! You can find a recipe to get the timing and sequence of steps.

Then I made spaghetti squash using the Nom Nom Paleo instructions.

There are a TON of recipes and videos online. DO watch a video so you are clear on how to open, close, adjust the time, etc. Even tips such as "open the lid pointing AWAY from you" are helpful as the machine is a wee bit intimidating at first. And DO read the manual and make sure you know how to seal or vent the steam valve, how to "quick release" vs "natural release", how to clean, etc.

I'm not much of a recipe person, so I'm mostly using recipes to get a feel for cooking times, amount of liquid, etc.

I just got an Instant Pot as well! Love it! So far I've made the nom nom paleo short rib recipe- which made about 4 meals of meat plus a good base for beef mushroom soup.  I've also made a whole chicken which was infinitely better than my slow cooking cooker attempts, and a chicken tikka masala.  Also made a batch of pinto beans that really impressed me (I think, lol, hubby had them as I'm still on W30, but he said the flavor was amazing and I was so impressed by the speed.)

Honestly? I'm really intrigued by the "jiu niang" instructions!  Basically sweetened, fermented (alcoholic!) rice.  Def have to give it some space after reintroduction to give that a try though.

Nom nom paleos Kalua pork is phenomenal, as is beef roast (I keep mine pretty basic so I can use it in a number of ways). I have made a butternut squash soup that I really like, and I'm not even a big b-nut squash fan (my parents gave me a few from their garden). Basically I saute an onion, toss in garlic, fresh ginger, a peeled and cored apple, chicken stock, the squash, and salt/pepper/cayenne. Let that cook around 15 minutes (?), use an immersion blender to purée it, and add in a can of coconut cream or milk.  lucky for me, no one else in the house will eat bright yellow-orange soup, so I get it all to myself!

post-whole30, if you eat beans, the instant pot can take them from dried in the bag to plate in an hour total, no pesoak needed. 

I just got mine at Christmas, and it's on the counter more than put away in the pantry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Instant Pot's ability to quickly cook frozen meat has been a game changer for us.    We now keep frozen ground beef or turkey in the freezer along with semi-prepared vegetables.    

Now we have chili or soup on nights we would have otherwise gotten takeout.

Archived