Can I fast during the Whole 30?

saraw262

• Moderators

Since this is for health reasons, as opposed to religious, why not try just embracing whole30 for 30 days and not fasting? See how you feel. Whole30 posits that it is healthiest to eat three meals a day, each made to follow the meal template. Consider it an experiment to see whether you agree or not.

If you were to decide to fast, I would not do so during your first week, since that is when you're still figuring out how much you need to eat and when you're likely to be experiencing tiredness and possible moodiness anyway. 

I had the same thought when I started.  I used to do 5:2 fasting with good results (a while ago, sigh) and thought, why not incorporate both and really supercharge W30?  Then after thinking about it some more, I realized the point of W30 is more about finding out how your body reacts to various foods. So not eating doesn't really advance that goal and I figured I could jump back into the 5:2 fasting approach after I finished Reintroduction.

I'm about a week or so away from finishing Reintroduction now and I'm glad I followed the program, less guessing about what might be the problem if things weren't going as expected.

Archived