Eczema flare plus got pregnant 14 days in. Keep going?

History first. I've done 2 whole 30's previously and have eaten mostly paleo for 4-5 years now. I'll never go back. Although it runs in my family, I've only struggled with eczema ever since having PUPPS with our daughter during pregnancy. It's a horrible itchy rash. I was able to help it with some liver-supporting supplements and other things. Then I developed a really bad eczema patch on both inner thighs about 6-7 months pp. Open skin, horrific itching, etc. That finally cleared up with some stress/lifestyle modifications and more/different supplements to support my thyroid and liver.

A year or so later in the clear (for eczema, as long as I apply frankincense and other oils daily and eat gluten/dairy free), I wanted to do another W30 to start off my next expected pregnancy on the right foot. Two days after I ovulated, (and yes, got pregnant, eee!) a small patch of eczema showed up on my neck. The next 10 days it got worse and worse to where it was an open, oozing wound, seeming infected. 

I managed to get it under control a little and pinpointed that almonds/almond butter and bacon brings out the red, puffy, itchiness. 

Anyway, I'm almost done with the January whole 30. 2 weeks pregnant. My question is this, given my history, should I try to keep going until it clears? I'm really struggling this time around with giving up my swypo and missing out on many social situations because of needing to bring food, etc. I'm also worried that it won't clear.. and I won't be able to keep going as I head into nausea/morning sickness/food aversions in the next couple weeks. So I could keep going, but my attitude towards the program is poor right now because despite several NSV, it has made my eczema flare up horribly this and last time I did the W30.

Pics are the first time I noticed it (day 15/16), 2 days later, and then about a week later. It has calmed since then a little.

Thoughts please! 

IMG_7441.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

IMG_7951.JPG

• Moderators

While no one on here is a medical professional and we can't give medical advice, it sounds like maybe you eat something on Whole30 in quantity that you don't when you're not on Whole30 that might be affecting your skin.  I was unclear on the timeline  relationship between the discovery of nuts/bacon and these photos... excema can take weeks to clear up once you've had a flare, even after you have removed the offending food... 

I know there's no official medical advice, just want some thoughts. I need to find a holistic doctor, but there just aren't any in my area. Planning on talking to some midwives soon as part of prenatal care. I had been consuming lots of bacon and almond butter in the first 2 weeks of the whole 30. Taking those things out in the 3rd week helped calm things down. In the 4th week, I tried them each separately a couple days a part and the eczema started swelling, itching, and getting hot and red within 20-30 minutes of eating them. 

I'm also wondering if it's more hormonal than food related...? My body changed nearly instantly when I got pregnant, even before implantation. Just throwing out info. Food for thought. I can try to keep going to see if the eczema clears, but it might not be worth it if I get morning sickness soon and can't continue eating w30. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2017 at 7:55 PM, mdb88 said:

I'm also wondering if it's more hormonal than food related...? My body changed nearly instantly when I got pregnant, even before implantation. Just throwing out info. Food for thought. I can try to keep going to see if the eczema clears, but it might not be worth it if I get morning sickness soon and can't continue eating w30. 

I know my eczema is definitely hormone related. It could be the pregnancy, your body adjusting to w30 or a combination. 

I would keep clean eating as long as you can :) wait for your body to balance out a bit and reassess in a few weeks 

Eczema cleared up with some supplement changes. I tried to keep going... as I'm a pretty strict "paleo" person 99% of the time anyway. But I can't even eat a vegetable these days, hardly any meat, and have been pretty sick all day with nausea. This pregnancy is no joke compared to my last one. 

Archived