Whole 30 and not enough calories

NewStart2014

I'm really not sure what to make of this but it's really annoying me a bit as I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'm trying make sure I have enough calories through out the day so that I am not starving myself but I'm really eating what I feel like is quite a lot. I do track to try and keep myself in the know. However tonight (and many other nights) I'm finding that I'm only eating 700 calories. Well under the 1400 calories.

I'm honestly not starving when it comes to 9 or to 10pm, but feel like I might be depleting myself of vital nutrients and vitamins my body needs.

I'm no way interesting in going back to eating in the old way that I did (for addiction reasons and going back to the way it used to be) BUT I would sincerely like to know what your thoughts on this are.

Do you have this issue? If so how do you correct it? I'd really love to hear your input.

Thanks.

why are you counting calories? Part of the whole30 means giving up tracking calories and weight and really getting to know your body. I know when I counted calories it messed up both my intuition and my perception. You may not be aware that you are doing it, but the fact you are counting influences how much you consume. stop it.

now feed yourself, and don't worry if it seems like too much fat or too much quantity or too little, just nourish your body. Once you start doing this I am confident things will even out and you will start taking in what you need.

Are you following the meal templating guidelines? palm-sized serving of protein, fill the rest of your plate with veggies, 1-2 thumbs of fat?

If you are, you're not counting correctly (most people underestimate how much they're actually eating) and you should STOP COUNTING.

If you aren't, follow the guidelines and STOP COUNTING.

Moral of this story? STOP COUNTING :)

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you had posted a similar question a couple of days ago. My answer isn't really going to change, but I don't want you to feel like we aren't hearing you and are just slamming the "stop counting" gavel in your face.

I went through a similar phase a few years ago. I knew I wasn't eating enough, but i just wasn't hungry, so I counted one day to see where I was at. It was under 1000 cal. The answer for me was a) to cut down on fat a little bit, because it was SO satiating that I just wasn't sending the right signals to my body and B) eat more starchy veggies earlier in the morning to set me up for a little blood sugar dip that will stimulate hunger.

Now: I was not doing a W30 at this time, I was NOT following the 3 meals/day, 1 palm sized etc etc meal templating guidelines above, I was riding my own bus and listening to my body, and I wasn't setting it up to send me the right signals because of when and what and how much I was eating.

The answer is still, "follow the guidelines, stop counting," but there is a reason for it! The guidelines are there as your safety net to make SURE that you're eating enough. Follow the guidelines, it will be okay!

Big post - eaten by my computer :(

To start over

why are you counting calories? Part of the whole30 means giving up tracking calories and weight and really getting to know your body. I know when I counted calories it messed up both my intuition and my perception. You may not be aware that you are doing it, but the fact you are counting influences how much you consume. stop it.

now feed yourself, and don't worry if it seems like too much fat or too much quantity or too little, just nourish your body. Once you start doing this I am confident things will even out and you will start taking in what you need.

Hi MissMary Thank you for this post. The only two reasons I can think that I track is because I use MFP to tell me what I've eaten and when so I know what was working for me the other one is fear. Both very very lame excuses. You do what you know and I've just always done it. Ok Stop now. Surrendering feels pretty good and VERY Scary!

I bet you aren't eating enough fat....

Hi Laura B 2 thumbs of fat per meal is that right? I'm having avocado with almost every meal.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you had posted a similar question a couple of days ago. My answer isn't really going to change, but I don't want you to feel like we aren't hearing you and are just slamming the "stop counting" gavel in your face.

I went through a similar phase a few years ago. I knew I wasn't eating enough, but i just wasn't hungry, so I counted one day to see where I was at. It was under 1000 cal. The answer for me was a) to cut down on fat a little bit, because it was SO satiating that I just wasn't sending the right signals to my body and B) eat more starchy veggies earlier in the morning to set me up for a little blood sugar dip that will stimulate hunger.

Now: I was not doing a W30 at this time, I was NOT following the 3 meals/day, 1 palm sized etc etc meal templating guidelines above, I was riding my own bus and listening to my body, and I wasn't setting it up to send me the right signals because of when and what and how much I was eating.

The answer is still, "follow the guidelines, stop counting," but there is a reason for it! The guidelines are there as your safety net to make SURE that you're eating enough. Follow the guidelines, it will be okay!

Well I'm completely embarrassed myself because I didn't know I had either. I'm feeling pretty old and senile right about now Renee Lee :unsure:. But I do know you are hearing me and thank you for taking the time to come back and post again :) I guess believing in myself and trusting my own intuition when it comes to me is a whole new ball game I'm going to have to get used to. Trusting myself wiht my body...wow a huge concept and epiphany moment.

Thanks all again. tomorrow...Day 1 of no counting. :blink:

How much avocado are you having? I would increase whatever amount of fat you normally use. For breakfast I normally have either vegetables sauteed in coconut oil (a T or so), or steamed vegetables with coconut oil added, eggs fried in coconut oil AND 1/2 an avocado. I probably have a good 20-25g of fat in breakfast alone.

Lunch I have a salad with either chicken thigh or breast, add olives, a pack of guacamole (i think its about 10g of fat) and I try to up the fat if it is a breast.

Dinner varies, usually have the fattier meats at this time. Veggies always cooked with either coconut oil or ghee. If we have a lean meat, I will usually add more fat for dinner.

For reference I am 5'9 about 150lbs.

Good luck not counting! You can do it!

My two cents - calories and nutrition are two totally different things. You could put two meals together that can have the same number of calories but have waaaaay different nutritional contents. It's so hard to measure nutrients if you only see the calories. Hoping you've been able to stop counting for another day!

so to all the non-counting advocates:

you do you have a set time at which you eat one of the three meals to ensure you eat, or do you just eat when you're hungry? because I've heard both arguments and I'm confused as to which is best.

P.S. (just for background for my question)

it's Day Two for me and I still count, because I worry about under-eating. I struggle with an eating disorder, so going a whole day without eating is not a difficult task for me.

I'm really not sure what to make of this but it's really annoying me a bit as I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'm trying make sure I have enough calories through out the day so that I am not starving myself but I'm really eating what I feel like is quite a lot. I do track to try and keep myself in the know. However tonight (and many other nights) I'm finding that I'm only eating 700 calories. Well under the 1400 calories.

I'm honestly not starving when it comes to 9 or to 10pm, but feel like I might be depleting myself of vital nutrients and vitamins my body needs.

I'm no way interesting in going back to eating in the old way that I did (for addiction reasons and going back to the way it used to be) BUT I would sincerely like to know what your thoughts on this are.

Do you have this issue? If so how do you correct it? I'd really love to hear your input.

Thanks.

I just add fat and/or nuts and that's bumps it up considerably!

you do you have a set time at which you eat one of the three meals to ensure you eat, or do you just eat when you're hungry? because I've heard both arguments and I'm confused as to which is best.

it's Day Two for me and I still count, because I worry about under-eating. I struggle with an eating disorder, so going a whole day without eating is not a difficult task for me.

I eat a large breakfast around 8am. Here's what I had today. On Sunday, I steam sauteed nappa cabbage, spinach and kale. I mixed them all together and put them in a container for a quick veggie sauteed in ghee. This morning, I put about 1 TBS (estimate) of ghee in my cast iron skillet. Then I added around 2 cups or so of my veggie mixture (again, estimate). I sauteed it around and added salt, pepper and chili flakes. Then I found some short ribs and tri tip and chopped them up and threw them in. Then, I added two eggs and scrambled everything together. I ate it with 1/2 an avocado. I meant to put a blob of home made mayo on it, but forgot. I'm giving you these details so you can see how much I eat for breakfast. Everyone is different, but that's what it takes to start my day on a positive note. I usually get hungry around 1 and have my second meal and then my 3rd meal between 6 and 7pm. I don't snack and I feel "just right" hungry for each meal. I may not be starving for breakfast, but I have learned if I don't really eat a big, nourishing breakfast with plenty of fat, I end up having a bad day foodwise. I think that breakfast took all of 2 minutes to make because of the prep I did with the veggies and having cooked meat available.

I eat a large breakfast around 8am. Here's what I had today. On Sunday, I steam sauteed nappa cabbage, spinach and kale. I mixed them all together and put them in a container for a quick veggie sauteed in ghee. This morning, I put about 1 TBS (estimate) of ghee in my cast iron skillet. Then I added around 2 cups or so of my veggie mixture (again, estimate). I sauteed it around and added salt, pepper and chili flakes. Then I found some short ribs and tri tip and chopped them up and threw them in. Then, I added two eggs and scrambled everything together. I ate it with 1/2 an avocado. I meant to put a blob of home made mayo on it, but forgot. I'm giving you these details so you can see how much I eat for breakfast. Everyone is different, but that's what it takes to start my day on a positive note. I usually get hungry around 1 and have my second meal and then my 3rd meal between 6 and 7pm. I don't snack and I feel "just right" hungry for each meal. I may not be starving for breakfast, but I have learned if I don't really eat a big, nourishing breakfast with plenty of fat, I end up having a bad day foodwise. I think that breakfast took all of 2 minutes to make because of the prep I did with the veggies and having cooked meat available.

::takes notes:: I have no idea what some of that is (kale and ghee), but I'm trying to learn. I may look into making this dish on a morning I don't have to haul butt immediately to work and eat microwaved eggs on the run, haha.

so even if you're not super hungry, you still "force" yourself to eat breakfast?

::takes notes:: I have no idea what some of that is (kale and ghee), but I'm trying to learn. I may look into making this dish on a morning I don't have to haul butt immediately to work and eat microwaved eggs on the run, haha.

so even if you're not super hungry, you still "force" yourself to eat breakfast?

Kale is a leafy green like spinach. You can buy it fresh in bunches or frozen. I am on a frozen veggie kick as in Oregon, the growing season is coming to an end, so I'm stocking up. Ghee is like a clarified butter, so you get the butter flavor with none of the dairy. Here is what I used to buy from Amazon, but now I make my own (totally fun and fussy thing to do).

http://www.amazon.com/Grassfed-Organic-Ghee-7-8-Oz/dp/B0032RPLSY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351618739&sr=8-2&keywords=ghee

I never feel I am forcing myself to eat breakfast. I just don't have that super hungry stomach growl feeling. I think it's because I always have coffee with coconut milk the second I wake up and I have to believe that subdues the hunger a bit. Not giving up my one cup of coffee a day though. :)

• 2 months later...

My two cents - calories and nutrition are two totally different things. You could put two meals together that can have the same number of calories but have waaaaay different nutritional contents. It's so hard to measure nutrients if you only see the calories. Hoping you've been able to stop counting for another day!

Karen is so right - great podcast that I've been listening to recently is Cut the Fat Weight Loss Blog, Episode 9: Understanding Calories - Debunking the Law of Thermodynamics.

If you are following the template I don't think it's even possible to eat only 700 calories. For example, 3 eggs is what? 270 or so calories? Plus a thumb of fat being a TBSP or two. That's 100-200 more calories BEFORE veggies. You should hit 400 just with eggs and kale :) then thinking of palm sized beef with fat and squash for lunch, etc. I totally agree with stopping tracking but that said, if you are following the template you shouldn't be able to have such a low calorie count.

If you're eating an avocado with every meal, (3 avocados per day?) that's 600-900 calories right there. 1 whole avocado, depending on size, is anywhere from 200 to 300 calories. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. But if you're eating 3 per day there's no way you're only hitting 700 calories.

Do you have a food log? Can you give us an example of what you're eating on a daily basis?

I don't count and I don't have set times for anything. I eat when I'm hungry, with the exception that I do try and eat a meal within a hour of waking up (I'm usually ravenous when I wake up, but sometimes not). I do snack more than I should but I'm working on making the snacks "mini meals" i.e., making sure they have protein, fat, and carbs.

If you are interested in reading more about why counting calories doesn't work, read Gary Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories.

Stop counting!

I know, I know. MFP is addictive. But you have to get off it love, it's bad news. And I don't think it's particularly accurate either.

I got some good ol' tough lovin from the guys and gals on here, and I quit doing it. I'm anxious about weight gain, sure, but on the other hand, I'm not anxious about how many calories I'm eating or how much is in it or will I have a "red" day or a green day and stay within calories. There's enough stress in life without stressing over every calorie.

I do a bit of both I guess. I try and make sure that I have three decent meals a day and don't snack except for pre-workout, but I don't really stress about the timing. If I'm not hungry, I'll wait another hour, if I can do that around my work schedule.

I use MFP too, but for Whole30, I only add stuff at the end of the day, so my "progress" doesn't alter my food choices at all. I use it for logging, not counting, as I'm also managing my blood sugar and health problems. I need to see my history in daily context.

I found my Whole30 meals were much bigger, as previously I planned for snacks.

I also don't always log the normal MFP way, sometimes I just make a note under food notes (really useful when not measuring ingredients). You only need one entry to be able to "close" your daily log, you can use 1 ml of municipal water if you don't have any entries.

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrected post or not, I am REALLY glad I found this one today! I have really been struggling with feeling like I'm not eating enough. I was doing the same thing the original poster was doing. I wanted to make sure I was eating enough calories because in the beginning I wasn't eating enough fat. I have finished a Whole30 and am now on my second one (2 days in) and today I barely hit 1100 calories. It's funny because I never used to count calories, but now I'm afraid to not do it. I am definitely someone that needs to lose some weight, and not counting makes me nervous.

So I guess tomorrow I am going to commit to not tracking the whole week and just listening to my body and following the template. Normally I do, but I know that sometimes I omit the edible fat (extra fat on top of the cooking fat). I'm not always sure how to get that in there. I have half an avocado at breakfast, I always cook my protein and veggies in either coconut oil or ghee. How else do you add fat to a meal? I am terrified to not count! Hopefully I can do it :/

Archived