SOS- Grocery Stores

HelenaSusen

Hello!! I'm starting the Whole 30 this weekend and couldn't be more excited!! I just moved to downtown Nashville so my grocery store options are Kroger, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Publix! (Maybe a fresh market too). Where does everyone have the best luck finding the tougher products like clarified butter and clean meats, etc? In other words, which store should I go to first for my first big shopping trip? Looking forward to feedback!

Clarify your own butter and it's easy, plus you can buy a better quality butter like Kerrygold and you're off to a good start. 

You've got a wide selection, so I'd hit up Kroger or Publix for veg and basics first because it'll probably be cheaper and you can probably find good meats there cheaper too. I only go to Whole Foods for specialty things I can't get at other stores, like coconut aminos and Tessemae's dressings (though I usually make my own dressing too). 

I haven't started yet, but my family is super picky about where we buy foods so this is what our shopping looks like (metro-Detroit area):

Italian Market- specialty items, deli meat, breads (which you won't need for W30)

Butcher/Meat Market - meat, seafood

Produce Market - fruit, veggies, some specialty items

Aldi- staples, snacks.  Aldi has pledged to go fully organic and while they aren't there yet, they have a lot of organic stuff now and are SUPER CHEAP.

Kroger- staples that I can't get at Aldi

It takes a while to do our shopping but my husband takes the first three shops and I take the last two.  We probably spend about 4- 6 hours per weekend between the two of us shopping, but we eat really good foods.  HTH

My Kroger now carries Tessamae's (!!) in the salad area. Blew me away when I saw it.

Kelsey at littlebitsof.com has lists of Whole 30 compliant stuff at many of the major food places (including Target!). Although I do a lot of label reading, it has been helpful to me. (I didn't think Target carried anything compliant except Larabars!)

On 2/7/2017 at 11:34 AM, PatGLex said:

My Kroger now carries Tessamae's (!!) in the salad area. Blew me away when I saw it.

Kelsey at littlebitsof.com has lists of Whole 30 compliant stuff at many of the major food places (including Target!). Although I do a lot of label reading, it has been helpful to me. (I didn't think Target carried anything compliant except Larabars!)

This is so exciting!  I was a bit angry to find my health food store doesn't carry Tessamae's or pretty much anything w30 compliant.  I'll definitely check Krogers and Target, yay!

I'm planning on ordering some specialty stuff on Amazon like compliant ketchup, mayo, snacks etc so that I don't have to keep stressing about trying to find them locally, or failing at making them myself.

Archived