Feb Reset - anyone?

saraip

Hi all...I'm starting my second round of Whole30 today and was hoping to get a little support.  I tried restarting on Jan 23 but I failed :(

I was hoping someone else is doing their reset at the same time so we can encourage each other!

Anyone out there beginning on Feb 1?

Thanks @saraip! Really it's been a case of trial and error.  First and second go arounds I didn't pay enough attention to template and relied too much on fruit and nuts -- the former keeping my sugar dragon going!  Third time was a charm and I did find that many of the foods that I think are OK do not agree with me.  So now I eat about 90 percent W30 but still have some bad habits to nip in bud like over relying again on nuts and fruit and I want to let this go ......

@gmaepack good luck this time!!  How far did you get each time?  I'm so happy to have people on the same schedule!

@foursimplewords Day 28!!  Still pretty good!  Did you break it with a proper treat?

@hmg1993 I love nuts as well, that's why I can't really start, it's a trigger for me.  I can probably down a cup or 2 each time if I start... it's so bad.  Sometimes I have no self control... as for sugar, I pretty much cut out all fruit, I find that if I don't consume sugar, I don't crave it.  My first Whole30 was great though my "flu" stage was really long and didn't have much of the tiger blood.  I think I wasn't following the template right either.  Will try and be better at it this time but I find that some days I'm REALLY hungry but other days I just don't feel like eating... did you ever have the same issue?

@saraip  I hear you on the nuts and can definitely eat my body weight in them, which is why I try very hard to keep them off my radar. Sometimes more successfully than others.  I am usually always up for a meal and what W30 has taught me is to be more intentional about three meals a day and if I am hungry, not to overly edit myself portion wise.  And make sure that I have enough fat and protein on my plate.  Also sharing a super easy dinner that I ad libbed last night.....

In a large bowl toss 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, one sliced fennel bulb, one red or orange pepper cut into large strips, and one cut up large Japanese sweet potato.  Add in "dressing" that you make with 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons of balsamic and a tablespoon of compliant mustard (grainy is best).  Stir well and put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Add salt and pepper to taste and then put in an oven that you have preheated to 425 for about 25-30 minutes.  Really good.  It fed two of us for dinner plus leftovers for two lunches for me!

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, saraip said:

Hi all...I'm starting my second round of Whole30 today and was hoping to get a little support.  I tried restarting on Jan 23 but I failed :(

I was hoping someone else is doing their reset at the same time so we can encourage each other!

Anyone out there beginning on Feb 1?

me well I will start today Feb 2!1 we can do it! I am on my third round..

Like all of you, I used to think that doing a Whole 30 in giant month hunks was the way to go. I no longer believe that.  Everyone else was doing a giant Whole 60 or 90 or 120 and someone even tried to do a Whole 365.

ISWF and W30 manifestos and articles say that there's really no such thing as W365. 

Eating one non-compliant food in that giant month hunk of time results in...stick a fork in it -  Whole 30 is over.  It can no longer be called a Whole 30 once non-compliant food has entered into the picture.

It is now called your plan and doing it your way. Having it your way. Your way of eating.

Google Whole 30 Starting Over and Over.  Starting over and over and over again is not the answer either.  I believe that doing one compliant Whole 30 followed immediately by a Reintro process is the best way to go. 

Hitting the Reset Button throughout a year is not about doing more giant month hunks of Whole 30.  There is a W30 manifesto that explains what hitting the reset button means. Now I could find all of these for you but it will be more meaningful to you if you do all of the hard work yourselves.  Those who do the hard work learn the most.

You want that.  Keep your focus.  Follow through with one compliant Whole 30, no going sideways on the weekends and then jumping back on the dieting bandwagon on Monday. That will only dig you into a deeper hole.   

Breaking free from the dieting mindset will take alot of practice. That's true freedom.

On 2/3/2017 at 9:17 AM, foursimplewords said:

I broke it with wine and dark chocolate...oops....

I absolutely understand the temptation ... I did that myself about a year ago... 

Hi everyone :)

I am on the 6th day now. Was already on the day 18 when I found out that the cider vinegar I was using had sulphur dioxide added.. so I had 2 beers, salty almond flour cookies few bananas in one go and was back on track the next day counting anew :) Reintroduction planned on the 1st March but I see now that I am having a lot of digestive issues - I had to introduce HCL and digestive enzymes plus strong probiotics. So possibly reintroduction date will be extended a little untill I sort it out. how are you doing? 

I'm starting my second W30 on Thursday (Feb 9).  I had amazing success the first time, especially when I stuck with no bread/crackers/chips/grains and no dairy.  Those are my problem areas.  I don't have a huge issue with sweets.  I did well for 6-9 months and then got caught in a life event, the illness and death of my dad. The need for convenience overtook and I feel like I fell in a chasm.  Red wine is another guilty pleasure for me and it seems like there are so many more opportunities to go out with friends and be invited to homes where having glass or 3 of wine.   I really don't want to give it up completely.  But the 30 days will be a good challenge for me--a time to self-examine.

So, I'm a little over a week past Feb 1, but I'm in and very ready.  

Hi All!!  Thanks for all the posts!

@hmg1993 - I must confess...I had a really bad craving for nuts on Saturday and I went out and got LOTS - cashews, almonds, and pistachios!  BAD IDEA - I ended up eating my weight of nuts and had stomach issues afterwards...OOPS!

The dinner you posted sounds really good!  I need to try that!  My partner is always stressed about cooking Whole30 but I feel like...just as long as we put compliant foods in a pan, we're all good!  He tends to try and get fancy...

Hehe...any other meal ideas?

@exercisegirl I know how you feel!  I've been eating my way through Christmas, family visits, and Chinese New Year!  My body is in shock!  But we got this! 

Today should be your 6th day - how are you doing?

@foursimplewords :) are you going for another Whole30?

@karo1500 Hi there!  Are you feeling better now?  What caused the stomach issues?  I feel like the older I get, the weaker my stomach is...not cool!

My reset is ok but it's not the best that it can be.  I might extend it a little longer because I hit a rough patch with nuts over the weekend and felt OUT OF CONTROL!  But I'm feeling ok again emotionally to hop back onto my wagon :)

@Gramma Susie Welcome!!!  How are you doing?  I'm so happy that we have so many people here sharing our journey!

@saraip  My go to recipes are pretty much always easy in terms of prep.  I love things you can marinade or prep in advance.  Nom Nom Paleo's Tandoori Chicken is a winner (I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts).  Another favorite is this -- In a ziplock bag put about 2lbs of chicken breast, 1 cup of pitted dried prunes, 1 cup olives, 1/4 cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of your vinegar of choice (I like Balsamic, but check label for sugar) and 1/4 cup or more of capers and a tablespoon of oregano.  Add minced garlic if you would like (I don't!).  Squeeze air out of bag and place in fridge for up to 24 hours.  When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375 and then put contents of bag on baking sheet lined with parchment or in a glass casserole dish (although ensure chicken is in one layer).  Then cook for about 35-40 minutes.  

@foursimplewords I plan on extending mine by a week or so, we should be ending at the same time!!  :)

@hmg1993 :wub: THANK YOU!!  Ha...my go to...is often just leftover roast (chicken, pork, beef) with veg - or like last night when we didn't have that much around, I just tossed together cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, salt, pepper, lemon juice - AND a couple handful of nuts (so naughty!)

By the way - do you have a exercise routine to go with your Whole30?

@saraip i think i always must have had some digestive issues but they only show up when I am on whole30, awful cough during eating and other symptoms of GERD - i must be sensitive to something- trying to figure out to what or as you say my stomach is not that young anymore :) But after introducing HCL and enzymes and probiotics I see some improvement. hooray! Nuts can be really terrible (i stopped eating them at all recently), they feel like a freebie but only half a pack later I realise how much I have eaten already thinking how heavy my stomach will feel soon... I think that when you eat them in a salad it probably feels different and you can actually have control over them... 

I had roasted lamb today. Oh my god it was heaven!!!! And no coughing during eating :)  

@karo1500 haha!  I love the comment about...half a bag of nuts later!  It happens so fast...next thing you know, my whole body is heating up due to all the fat and energy, AND my stomach is solid :ph34r:

I packed the remaining nuts in a container for my partner to take to work as a snack, now, the house is nut free!  No more temptation!

I had the strangest dream last night - breaking my Whole30 with alcohol and gummy bears :D I've been wanting some sort of grainy or corny carb!  But fought it off with a lovely plate last night.  My partner cooked green curry pork chops with cauliflower rice!

I had the urge to give up over the weekend but I didn't...I really wanted a nice cup of cappuccino and to go out for some local Thai dinner with my family.  I fought it off and stayed compliant!

I realized that whenever I lack sleep or I'm sick, I want BAD food...anyone else feel that way?

How is everyone doing?

@saraip i feel you on the sleep part! I do not do well with a lack of sleep and I had a really difficult week personally. I was so tempted to give up and just throw in the towel because it was causing me MORE stress to stick to Whole30, but instead I pushed through it and tried to catch up on my sleep. Four days later and I'm glad I've stuck it out :) We're almost halfway through!

Archived