Giving back to my back!

plummerhouse

Hi all! I started my 3rd whole30 yesterday.

I've done two previous rounds a couple of years ago when I was a very full-on runner. Just over two years ago I had two disc bulges in my back which took me out of action for nearly a year, and I've spent the last 18 months getting back to running, and last month decided this was the year for doing my first post-injury half-marathon. Then I ran 25km in one week (not much for runners, but it was a lot more than I'd done in a while) and my pain was back all over again.

I have had a lot of conversation with my physio and chiro about chronic pain and how to manage it, and we spoke about the mental game, the physical game, and the conversation came up about the eating game. I had been meaning to do a whole30 in Feb anyway, as my diet has become very erratic and unfocused since I stopped running (hello toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, pasta for dinner!). And then we spoke about how inflammation is one of the root causes of chronic pain, and how an anti-inflammatory diet will help reduce the flare-ups I get with my back pain. My back has done me proud over many years of running including two marathons and a bunch of hard trail running, so it's time to give it back.

SO here I am starting again! I'm really excited, and very glad I quit sugar around 4 months ago as that is always the hardest part for me.

DAY 1 - Breakfast: Cauliflower, mushroom, sweet potato & bacon with a side of salad greens, olive oil, and some nuts.

- Lunch - Salad greens, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado, sweet potato, a banana.

Snack - cranberries/almonds mix

Dinner - free range pork with garlic & onions (delicious), 1.5 baked potatoes, salad.

MOOD - great. I'm feeling excited to see how this round affects my health especially my pain levels. I am a little nervous about getting in a food rut. Also excited that my 13 yr old daughter is getting into this (breakfasts ONLY mum!) as a way of reducing her grain intake, as she gets tendonitis in her shoulder. Hopeful that this will help her too.

Day 2 - still really pleased to be on the program again. No concerns here except I forgot to buy eggs - foolish!

Breakfast - cauliflower fried with fennel seeds & olive oil; bacon & tomato (no egg!), baby spinach and mushroom in olive oil, sweet potato cubes.

Lunch - Leftover pork and baked potato from last night, mixed salad with avocado and seed mix. 

Dinner - Thai beef salad with sweet potato side.

My 13 yr old is still on board for the whole30 breakfast, and made her own salad for lunch! Inspiring kid <3

Archived