Why didn't it work????

MaryinCO

It's Day 31 and I just weighed.  I've never posted to a forum before so I'm not even sure how this works.  I lost a 1/2 lb. at most, which is impossible because I'm morbidly obese (over 100 lbs overweight) and I should have lost more than that.  I was religious about not having anything that wasn't approved - NO sugar, sweetener, caffeine, chocolate, cheese, chips, bread, etc.  ALL OF IT!  I tried so hard because I know this weight is killing me and now I'm crying uncontrollably because once again the program that everyone promised would work didn't work for me.  WHAT DID I DO WRONG??  Oh God-it just seems hopeless.  I haven't noticed feeling any better but I fought hard not to get discouraged because I knew I was following the program to the letter.  I guess I'm in shock.  It's not possible, and yet it happened.

Ok @MaryinCO - breathe......................

This is NOT a weight loss program Mary. Weight loss is sometimes a side effect of switching to whole foods & cutting out refined sugars etc, but not always..... and even with compliant foods it's possible to compose your meals in such a way that you won't get the full potential of removing those inflammatory foods and finding optimal health.

That said do you notice ANY changes? Do you have better energy throughout the day? Improved mood? Are you sleeping better? Suffering from cravings? How about your hair, skin & nails? Were you working out at all?

If you'd like us to check that you were on the right track please feel free to post a few typical days worth of meals, indicating portion sizes, water intake, activity & stress levels and we'll gladly take a look.

Bear in mind that those coming here with pre-existing medical conditions often need a bit longer for their hormones to balance out and for changes to happen - don't give up just yet - by eating in this way rest assured that you are doing the absolute best that you can for your body.

10 minutes ago, MaryinCO said:

It's Day 31 and I just weighed.  I've never posted to a forum before so I'm not even sure how this works.  I lost a 1/2 lb. at most, which is impossible because I'm morbidly obese (over 100 lbs overweight) and I should have lost more than that.  I was religious about not having anything that wasn't approved - NO sugar, sweetener, caffeine, chocolate, cheese, chips, bread, etc.  ALL OF IT!  I tried so hard because I know this weight is killing me and now I'm crying uncontrollably because once again the program that everyone promised would work didn't work for me.  WHAT DID I DO WRONG??  Oh God-it just seems hopeless.  I haven't noticed feeling any better but I fought hard not to get discouraged because I knew I was following the program to the letter.  I guess I'm in shock.  It's not possible, and yet it happened.

I lost a lot of weight in the first two weeks of Whole30 but I noticed that I just didn't have any energy for my workouts. So I added starchy veggies to my diet like sweet potatoes and my energy soarded... but I stopped losing weight. I have almost 100 lbs to lose too so it was disheartening to me to stop losing weight but I'm trying to tell myself that it's fine. My internal organs are way happier than they were before, my hormones levels are improving (my facial hair is decreasing so this is a clear sign), I have a lot more energy for work outs and actually ran half a mile without stopping which is a big deal for me. So I'm going to make sure that I balance my starchy veggies with non-starchy ones cause I don't want to over-carb but I'm going to TRY and focus on non-scale improvements on my body. 

Don't give up! The scale might say one thing but you KNOW that your body is healthier today than it was 31 days ago. 

As Foursimplewords mentioned above, feel free to post what you eat and you can get some feedback on the ratios of your protein, veggies, fat in case anything is off. :)

I also lost 0 weight on the Whole30. However, I was also still having gut issues. Afterwards, I went low FODMAPS and lost 4 lbs in two weeks and noticed a HUGE difference in even my face. 

It may not happen right away. Your gut may still be healing, your hormones may still be stabilizing, your body just might take more than 30 days to figure it out. It's okay. 

I would encourage you to post what you're eating and see what feedback you get, scour the forum and see what you find. It may take a few more weeks (heck, maybe even a few months) for your body to get with the picture. 

On the plus side, this is a great way to eat period, so it's not like you're starving or abusing your body ;)

Archived